GM Volt Forum banner

Apartment provided plug - will this work??

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  jcanoe 
#1 ·
Our complex provides plug access for ev residents but I cannot find an adapter that will work with my home charger. Is there something I can get to use this plug??? I have had no luck finding one...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Your best option may be to pick up a second hand Level 2 adapter such as a ClipperCreek LCS-20P that already comes with a plug that is designed for the NEMA 14-50 receptacle provided by your apartment management. This EVSE is rated for 240V and 20 amps, perfect for charging a 2011 - 2015 Gen 1 Volt or 2016 - 2018 Gen 2 Volt in the shortest possible time (3.5 to 4.5 hours.) The LCS-20 was/is very popular with Volt owners. As these Volt owners trade in their Volts for other vehicles they no longer need their LCS-20 or may be upgrading to an EVSE capable of handling more power, i.e. 240V and 32 or 40 amps. Expect to pay ~$150 to $200 for a used LCS-20; a new one costs right around $400.

#5 ·
If you google "NEMA 14-50 adapter" you will find a variety of adapters, one of which should fit whatever kind of plug your EVSE has, whether it is 120V or 240V.

If you post a picture of your plug, someone will be able to tell you what it is called, which will make your search more precise.

#6 ·
And keep in mind that GM specifically tells not to use any kind of adapter whatsoever with the charger in the manual. In case of any damage caused by any adapter (fire?) you will be liable for the all loss. Even if it's not the adapter insurance companies will be after you.

#8 ·
And keep in mind that GM specifically tells not to use any kind of adapter whatsoever with the charger in the manual.
That's the standard 'legalese' which means since GM doesn't know what sort of 'jury rig' you might be inclined to use, they want you to know they aren't responsible for it - They don't want you using a perfectly safe extension cord either and probably a good percentage of all EV's are home charged using an extension cord . . . . have you read about anyone burning down their house using one? No

I wouldn't let GM's blanket denials stop me from using any industry standard plugs or sockets, so long as they are in good shape

Don

#7 ·
1. Your home charger, if its from a gen 2, is probably the Clipper Creek made one. They made the guts, and people have discovered the guts are 240V compatible. So they've made their own adapter plugs, which normally you'd never do to the standard plug on anything. You could fashion your own adapter for the home charger and it will work. Others have tested it. The Risk is all yours, however, because it isn't labeled to do so. If you manage to fashion or acquire the adapter, you can charge at 2.88kW: 12A * 240V which is what the Clipper Creek manufactured Chevy Volt portable EVSE is rated to.

2. This is a NEMA 14-50 plug. It should've been installed with a 50A rated wiring and breaker if it was properly built to code. It might not be, but that probably won't matter for the Volt. It charges up to about 3.8kW, or probably about 16A max. They have to royally screw up to break. But like... Teslas that can actually soak up all they can sometimes discover the wiring isn't up to snuff. Unless you've got the special 2019 with 7.2 kW max charge speed, at which case its probably a max of 30A @ 240V. So it probably don't matter. You need an EVSE that hooks to a NEMA 14-50 plug and has the US/Canada standard SAE J1772 connector for the car. A ClipperCreek LCS-20 will work nicely for this, as others have suggested. Retails for $379.00. ClipperCreek might have some used ones for $300, but you'd have to call them. Also since its the "plug" version, you can take it with you when you move out.

#10 ·
In Vancouver, BC, every new apartment or condo has to have at least one EV charge station per unit to get a building permit. Previous to that, 20% had to have an EV charge station. Don't know how far that went back (not far I'm sure).

#13 ·
Yes but we don't even know if the OP has a Gen2 Volt and the current generation OE Volt Level 1 EVSE or some model of Level 2 EVSE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.