GM Volt Forum banner

2014 Chevy Volt Multiple error messages and no power

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  nkankanala 
#1 ·
I left my Volt plugged in while on vacation. Needless to say the 12V battery died and failed. When I returned, the Volt took a long time initializing/starting up and I received 4 error messages. When I shift into gear, the car does not move. I tried jump starting and she would still not turn on, so I replaced the battery. I am still receiving the same error messages. Here is the list:
service stabilitrack
service power steering
service theft deterrent system
service brake assist
A new message that is popping up since changing the battery is low fuel, but she definitely has some fuel. The battery range is grayed out but shows fully charged and 30 mi range but fuel range is 0. There is also a high pitched tone that stays on for around 30 seconds every time I shut a door. I've been doing some research and discovered service mode. I have tried multiple steps to try to get out of service mode, but none of them have worked. Anyone have any ideas before I tow her to the dealership?

#2 ·
Usually pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds will take it out of service mode. If it is in fact stuck in service mode, that's similar to a regular car having the key turned to the ACC mode, everything is powered up but drawing from the 12V battery. Service mode is used as a diagnostic to verify all 12V systems are operating normally without engaging the drive system or the inverter that maintains the 12V system from the big 360V battery (think EV version of an alternator). Do you by any chance have a code reader that may shed some light on what error codes may be present? I'd be willing to bet that when the 12V battery failed it may have set a code that prevents the car from going into "ready" mode. I had a similar situation occur to me where I got all of the same messages you received and the drive train appeared to be "dead". I locked the car and left for about 20-30 minutes, and when I returned, all was functioning normally again. Have you tried similar since changing the 12V? Make sure all keys are sufficiently far from the vehicle so it doesn't inadvertently detect them. Pull the battery from them if you aren't sure. I'm certain if the car was functioning fine prior to going on vacation that it's just a little code hiccup.

#3 ·
Exactly! I figure it has to be something simple because she was working perfectly before this. I followed your advice and locked the car last night and popped the batteries out of both of her RKE devices. She still did not start up this morning. Then, I rented a code reader and it popped up U0100-00 lost communication with engine control module.

#5 ·
Just an update in case someone else has this issue: The dealership confirmed the ECM was bad. The ECM is listed as not covered in the warranty book and the dealership confirmed it was not covered under powertrain warranty nor Voltec. I paid out the $700 for the repair, but I am extremely frustrated as this just broke out of nowhere. Apparently these electric components are no better than cell phone or laptop parts which fail on a regular basis.

#7 ·
I have 2011 VOLT with 82K miles in Phoenix, AZ. Yesterday (13-Jun-2019) while taking out from parking place, it got stuck and it gave all kinds of messages in dash board. It started with "service brake assist" and finally said "ENGINE NOT AVAILABLE". I was not able to shut the car as well. Finally it lost all power. And also displayed "ENGINE NOT AVAILABLE" . Finally I towed to dealership VAN Chevrolet in Phoenix and it is with them now. I will keep you posted on this what they come up with. It was working great till yesterday morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.