#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I went to the dealer yesterday to perform the recall:
Recall Number
18V397000
Component
HYBRID PROPULSION SYSTEM
Summary
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2013 Chevrolet Volt vehicles. An update to the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 (HPCM2) may have disabled the cell balancing function causing a low-voltage condition.
Consequence
If the voltage drops, the vehicle may lose propulsion, increasing the risk of crash.
This evening, coming back from work, I lost propulsion power completely suddenly. (I thought the recall is supposed to fix that, not cause that!) The car engine light turned on and although I have half a tank of gasonline left, it refuses to use it. So I was stranded by a hospital and my wife had to come, and we pushed the car into a parking lot spot.
When the car is restarted, it keeps on repeating the same thing.
The DTC display showed P1E00 Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 requrested MIL illumination.
Any idea on what to do next? Go back to the dealer who performed the recall that sabotaged the car?

See less See more
#5 ·
Possible control module failure. Possible faulty firmware update. Possible battery cell issue? My guess would be the control module itself has failed.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about this dangerous situation.

Have you used and trusted this dealership before? Mistakes happen. "Sabotage" is a deliberate/willful act to destroy. Not a good idea to accuse someone of sabotage.

Regardless, since they performed the recall, they'll need to pay for the flat-bed tow back to their shop. Give them another chance, if...if...you trust them.

(Where do you live? Putting your location in your signature assists members, who might be able to offer you opinions on trusted dealerships in your area.)

#8 ·
Interesting coincidence. Perhaps, the problem had already extended far enough that by the time they did the update, it couldn't correct the low-volt issue, and it just so happens, the very next day is when the problem raised its ugly head.

#11 · (Edited)
So the story continues.
I called GM customer support 5am in the morning(they work with eastern time). After describing the problems and making a record, they told me the case is established and they will need to have the California team reach out to me "in 2 or 3 days" because CA has a different set of policy and the car is different too.
While waiting, I called the local dealer and was told that they won't be responsible for towing the car because they didn't do anything wrong with working on the recall, so I have to get it there by myself.
Spent $55 for towing, and Carlos of the GM California team reached out to me before I reached the local dealer. He is quick to say that he will send an email to the dealer saying that GM is now involved and answered several of my questions.
By this time I already have the following pictures in my pocket, but I didn't want to influence the local dealer's independent opinion. I was almost certain that it's a battery failure and the HV battery will need to be replaced.
https://ibb.co/mu1VVL
https://ibb.co/mfq7AL
https://ibb.co/fDqkx0

Once I got to the dealer, I talked with their Volt technician, and hinted on the possibility of a battery failure. They promised to check and the general diagnosis costs $115, which is to be reimbursed if PZEV warranty covers the error code (15 years 150K miles in CA).
Long and behold. In the afternoon I received the call from them saying 20 out of the 96 cells have failed. (Using GM standard checking procedure, they were below about 3V when depleted). They said GM will cover all the cost of replacing the battery(>$10K just for the manual labor) and ship a battery from east coast. It will not be done before thanksgiving.
Will keep everyone here updated!

Attachments

#29 ·
I just want to follow up with this after 2 years of usage of my new battery.
Just did a scanning of the battery, they are all 4.02V at full charge.
Will do a depleted test later on.
So the story continues.
I called GM customer support 5am in the morning(they work with eastern time). After describing the problems and making a record, they told me the case is established and they will need to have the California team reach out to me "in 2 or 3 days" because CA has a different set of policy and the car is different too.
While waiting, I called the local dealer and was told that they won't be responsible for towing the car because they didn't do anything wrong with working on the recall, so I have to get it there by myself.
Spent $55 for towing, and Carlos of the GM California team reached out to me before I reached the local dealer. He is quick to say that he will send an email to the dealer saying that GM is now involved and answered several of my questions.
By this time I already have the following pictures in my pocket, but I didn't want to influence the local dealer's independent opinion. I was almost certain that it's a battery failure and the HV battery will need to be replaced.
Volt-error
volt-fault-4
battery-3

Once I got to the dealer, I talked with their Volt technician, and hinted on the possibility of a battery failure. They promised to check and the general diagnosis costs $115, which is to be reimbursed if PZEV warranty covers the error code (15 years 150K miles in CA).
Long and behold. In the afternoon I received the call from them saying 20 out of the 96 cells have failed. (Using GM standard checking procedure, they were below about 3V when depleted). They said GM will cover all the cost of replacing the battery(>$10K just for the manual labor) and ship a battery from east coast. It will not be done before thanksgiving.
Will keep everyone here updated!

#12 ·
More than $10k for labor? There's no way. It's half a dozen easy connectors on the front and a couple dozen bolts across the bottom. There have been a lot of answers given for the cost of the pack over the years with little consistency, but it's only a few hours of labor to replace.

Glad you have a clear path forward and they aren't fighting warranty coverage. :)

#13 ·
Agreed, labor should be no more than $1k for pack replacement. The pack itself is probably $8k though. Thank goodness for warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
The 2011's (and some 2012's) had their batteries dropped in order to add some tunnel reinforcements. It was an hour process to drop the battery add the tunnel reinforcement, put the battery back in. $10,000 and hour? Where do I sign up? :)

#19 ·
No way 20 cells would die in one day
But indeed, lack of balancing would cause weaker cells to drop lower and lower.

And when you drove and depleted the battery, they dropped below the low limit and triggered the warning

If you would have not depleted the battery and topped it up a few times it might have balanced itself and caused no problems

But hey - this was at least you get a free new battery :)

#21 ·
That's a good assurance. If I eventually go out of the warranty and need to deal with similar problems.
What the dealer told me is that they used GM prescribed procedure to test the voltage. Now I don't know what procedure that would be at all, but I don't think they topped it up and then depleted it in about 3 hours time.
My general feeling is the dealer, being in a small town, doesn't know that much of volt although they have a "volt guy". The customer supports of GM was very eager and quick to help, but they know very little about volt also. He didn't question my 3V to 4V cell voltage range or 20 out of 96 being broken at all and simply recorded it as the case information.
The feeling is that everyone is just trying to keep their job instead of trying to do a good job or learn something.

#20 ·
Then the dealer needs to cycle the battery as part of the recall balancing process.

And I too had the battery dropped as part of the 2011-2012 tunnel reinforcements and we got the wonky tank sensor and cable added.
and the process only took longer as they could not find the special high voltage gloves.

#23 ·
Interesting thing is, when I went to the local dealer to pick up the inhaler I forgot, they mentioned that on the GM site warned them to first top and drain the battery for 3 times before ordering the battery. So they called them, and was told to wait till GM gives them the permission to go ahead.
1 hour later I was told by the same dealer that GM called them back and cleared for the battery ordering without further testing the battery. I guess they convinced them it's bad enough.

#24 ·
Hi all,
Another update.
Got my volt back yesterday from the local dealer. They replaced the battery. It was fairly quick considering that the battery was shipped from east coast and it only took them a week to get the car ready again.
Tested it today and it seems the usable range is more than 2015 volt?
https://ibb.co/NK7WYDX

I was definitely using some heating, so 42.6 miles at 12.3Kwhr used battery, almost 1 kwhr more compared to the standard 2015 model number. New battery rocks.
Hopefully it will continue to be so efficient. Will report back.

#25 ·
Makes me wonder If for some reason my 2013 pack were to fail, would the replacement pack be the last configuration offered for the GEN 1 packs? The longest range version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.