GM Volt Forum banner

Gen1 Fuse Tap location for non-switched 12v

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Sean-a-Tron 
#1 ·
I'm working on a "smart-home" "IoT" project, and I need to plug a 12v to 3v Voltage Reducer into something that's always on.

It's powering something that is normally powered by a coin battery, so I'm not worried about draining the 12v batter in the Volt.

Just want some guidance as to where to tap in a Gen1 to get non-switched 12v that is always on.

Thanks
John

#4 ·
Whatcha doing? :) I'm just interested because I'm always interested in adding things to my smart hub. I had programmed my porch lights to come on when my GPS on my phone showed that it was getting near the house and it was dark outside, and then turning off 5 minutes later, but I found that my porch lights were turning on and off all night, so the GPS wasn't a good trigger. Are you putting something in the car to activate lights when the car gets within range of your hub?

#6 ·
Thanks for all the feed back, I think I'll put my multi-meter on the passenger side fuse box and find what I'm looking for.

As for what I'm doing:

Putting a Samsung's Arrival sensor in my Volt, but I know I won't remember to keep the coin battery replaced as needed. So I bought a 12v to 3v reducer that I'm looking to power of the accessory batter in the car.

Next I'm putting a door sensor next to where I hang up my charger & a magnet on the charger plug. And a tilt sensor on the garage door.

Then a z-wave RBG bulb over the charger that will change.

Then I should be able to program the logic in my smarthings hub to remind me via the RGB bulb to plug in the car and close the garage door.

If car is away light off.
If car is home AND door is open AND charger still on wall = Red light
If car is home AND (door is closed OR charger is off wall) = Yellow light
If car is home AND door is closed AND charger is off wall) = Green light

My wife drives the car most of the time, and is good about these things, but I forget because I don't drive as often because I work from home. PLUS it's just cool to me.

#7 ·
There are fuses in the left side hatch area access panel that are always on. I wired a 12V barrel jack back there to monitor the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.