GM Volt Forum banner

"Service Power Steering" Message and Loss of Steering Assist

44K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  MRGM 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A few weeks ago I noticed that when first starting the steering was very stiff when first starting out. I though it may have been cold weather related. The issue seemed to improve with warmer temperatures. Now a couple of nights ago I get a Service Power Steering message and a loss of power steering. This happened on three separate drive cycles about 5 min in or so.

Took it in yesterday to see what the issue may be. They found a C0545 fault in history for Steering Wheel Torque Sensor Malfunction. They could not replicate the concern and wanted to reprogram the for ~$200. I wanted to check in with the advisor since in know there have been power steering issues reported before. It also seems a little off as the service reference I have states if this fault is active the fix is to replace the steering gear. It faulted on the way home and the way to work this morning.

The Volt advisor confirmed that he felt the reprogram was the way to go and that it would not be covered. I questioned the bulletin for similar sticking and stiffness issues and the covered re-program without luck.

So now to take it back in and try the re-program. I have worked in similar fields and am not too hopeful that it will work. I guess it could if they reduce the sensitivity of the diagnostic, but that may just mask the issue for awhile. Strange for a software issue to suddenly show up repeatedly after 65k. More than a little disappointed to be paying for an attempt to fix a power steering system with know issues. Any similar issues? Any better ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Really???
Chevy says you should spend ~$200 to plug into your car and the tech presses the "Send or Load" button on his screen?
And this is a Serious Safety related item.

I say, "Shame on everyone involved in putting this price on a simple SW download related to your Safety."

#3 ·
I take it that you are out of warranty. Maybe you could get them to agree that if the reprogram does NOT fix the problem that they would apply the $200 toward the cost of the replacement steering gear.

#4 ·
An update from today. The fault did not reoccur on the way home or to the dealer this morning. They completed the two recalls and the Power Steering Control Module reprogramming. It was a little less at $165. Still feels a little high as there was two hours total and I would think almost half of that would have been for the recalls. No power steering faults on the way to work, but time will tell. Now I am getting "Remote Not Detected" messages. Will try another new battery in the remote but that is only a few months old. Hope this is not another issue.

#5 ·
The issue still exists. Last night as I was attempting to change lanes to exit the highway, there was a resistance in the steering when trying to shift from center. Right after I felt the resistance I received the service power steering message and lost all assist.

Will contact the Volt Advisor and the dealer on Monday, but I figure it will be my problem since they refuse to acknowledge the similarity to the know issue with the power steering. I have had other car companies repair know issues out of the original warranty based on a service bulletin. I really figured GM would do similar when they identified the issue.

#6 ·
jcdeal,

Do your research. This is a serious safety issue.

Just last week a friend at work has a (?) 2012 Chevy Malibu. His Electric power steering has been acting up and finally died all together.
He's getting a free replacement due to it being a 'known issue' and there is some sort of 'campaign' to replace them just short of a safety recall.

Ask for an 'Escalation' with your Volt Advisor. They are not the final word. You need to talk to someone at corporate that cares.

#7 · (Edited)
What year is your Volt?
On 2011 and 12 models the campaign calls to REPLACE the electric steering gear/rack (which includes the control module that will be reprogrammed with the latest software upon installation)
On 13-14 models only the updated software is needed. *I'm attaching a complete copy of the campaign paperwork

HOWEVER, I feel your issue is technically different as it sets a DTC pertaining to the torque sensor, and technically is not specific to the campaign. However it may still be somehow related.

All you really need to do is return to the dealership as soon as possible, let them pull the DTC C0545 again.
Since the sensor is not serviced separately as it is mounted permanently within the rack/gear (they may not even realize that as it is uncommon) and as such the steering gear/rack will need to be replaced.

Now in my "unofficial" opinion IF your car is a 2011-12 then this replacement SHOULD be covered by the special policy campaign #14242. Given my understanding of the torque sensor operation, I feel it is quite possible the DTC is being triggered by internal problems within the steering rack that GM already recognizes has issues given they are replacing them in ALL 2011-12 models that demonstrate any of the conditions outlined in the campaign.

Technically your car DOES demonstrate at least one of the items listed as "CONDITION" in the 14242 as in
"The steering wheel can be turned but it may require increased effort"
which of course is exactly what you experience when the issue manifests. The campaign clearly states that this issue is somewhat conditional and not easily repeatable in the service stall.

I would down play the presence of the message DTC and not really relevant to the campaign at least as it currently exists. Do you know if they contacted Volt Technical Assistance? If not, they may wish to as they just might immediately authorize the rack replacement under warranty or at the very least "Goodwill".

Your Volt Advisor SHOULD have come to bat for you here.
But I think you should return to the dealer, armed with the paperwork and urge them to recognize your condition is very likely related to the issues within the steering gear as outlined in the campaign, and if they don't comply start escalating the situation through your VA and/or Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center (phone numbers are included on the last page of the Campaign #14242 paperwork attached below) or even write or email the Sr. Vice President of Global Quality & Customer Experience Alicia S. Boler-Davis directly! ( alicia.bowler-davis@gm.com )

Unfortunately, sometimes "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"!! ;)

HTH
WopOnTour

Attachments

#8 ·
First of all I would like to thank WopOnTour for his help. I now feel like I am making some progress.

The car is a 2013. Today they reported they followed the reprogramming referenced by campaign. I was told it was different than the Power Steering Control Module reprogramming I had paid for last week. I hope this addresses it. I would have though in both cases the Power Steering Control Module would be updated to the latest software. Maybe a post program calibration procedure difference?

I will be happy if this resolves the issue, but a little disappointing to have paid for a service that did not address the issue when I originally asked them to check on the power steering campaign for this model.

#9 ·
Hi jcdeal,

I can completely understand your frustrations, and can imagine how inconvenient this situation has been for you. If you’d like, I’d be happy to research your open case to see if there’s any further assistance or information I can provide to you at this time. We want to make sure you feel that your concerns are being addressed in the most appropriate and efficient way, and again I want to apologize if this hasn’t been the case.

If you’d like my assistance in this way, please send me a private message with your VIN, full contact information and your case number.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#12 ·
Update 2/18/2016:

I have experienced two additional instances of resistance in the steering after driving straight for awhile. Both we followed relatively shortly with the "Service Power Steering" and no power assist for the rest of the drive. It appears the second programming has not helped. It is scheduled back in tomorrow morning. I didn't receive a reply to my Monday message from my volt advisor. Sent the PM on here will see if I have better results.

#13 ·
Hey jcdeal,

I just responded to your PM, but I wanted to touch base with you here as well. I’ve notified your case agent and we’re going to reach out to your dealership and speak with some internal resources to make sure this situation is resolved in an efficient manner. I do apologize for any delay in communication but I assure you that your Volt Advisor David is diligently working your case.

Let me know if you have any more questions at this time and when you hear from David.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#14 ·
Update 2/19/16:

Dealer has determined it will need a steering gear. Original quoted price was $1800. Dealer adjusted it down to just under $750.

So to clarify for others that have seen this issue. If the condition cannot be addressed by a re-program on 2013 and later vehicles GM will not honor the extended warranty on the power steering.

#21 ·
I attempted to e-mail Alicia Boler Davis but the e-mail provided was kicked back as undeliverable. I would not have any issue paying for this if it was a one off failure or a normal wear component needing replacement around this mileage. An example would be a water pump on a typical engine. From what I have seen on this forum and on other forums for other GM cars this is not an isolated event. I have even seen reports of similar events that occur even with a new steering rack after a period. From my perspective I believe is it pretty clear this part has issues. And these issues appear to go beyond just the Volt. Up to this point I have been pretty happy with this car. I have recommended it to many.

I am surprised the reprogram takes an hour as from reading the Special Coverage Adjustment it looked like 0.3 hours for that. If it is an hour GM is not being very fair with the dealers on the labor coverage.

#22 ·
Customers measure repair time from the time they hand over the keys to the time someone finds them in waiting area and says "You're all set! Keys are at the cashier's desk." Chevy and repair departments measure time from when the tech walks up to the car in the bay and is ready to start work to the time that the car is ready for the porter to drive it outside. The amount of time that the car sits in the reception garage, the time it sits waiting for a porter, the time it takes the porter to get the work order back to the service rep, and the time the rep takes to find you doesn't count to GM or the dealership; they're not charging anyone for that time.

#25 ·
Who cares about the 'Book flat-rate'.

This guy has to pay +$700 for a defective E power steering at 65k miles.
My bud's Malibu, at 105k miles, had a replacement E power steering unit installed for free due to some Chevy 'Campaign'.

Isn't this the issue here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.