GM Volt Forum banner

Installed my L2 charger for 2016 Volt - But could use some ideas to improve setup

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Geohec 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, just got my 2016 Volt a couple of weeks ago. I had planned to get a L2 charger before I bought the car but things at my house have been busy. Last weekend I was only able to buy parts and put a small dent in the project which involved extending an unused 240V outlet from the laundry room into the garage. Unfortunately, the my main power box is on the opposite side of my house, so I didn’t feel like spending the extra money to buy 100 ft of new romex and crawling through my attic and all the fun associated with that. Instead, I opted for extend the unused 240V outlet into the garage which would only involve extending it about 25 ft.

For about $100, I was able to extend the outlet using ½ inch metal conduit and #10 wire to the center section of my 2 car garage and mount the $400 LCS-20P clipper creek to my garage door mounting brackets. I also re-purposed my genie garage door opener into a temporary cord hanging device for the immediate future until I figure out a better system. For right now, I simply use a step stool to unwind the cord plug in at night then do the opposite for storage. Ideally, I’d like to have bungie system or equivalent where I can simply reach over my head and pull the charger down. If you guys have some ideas and pics about my future set up then please share. Thanks!

Here’s some pics of my current set up.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice job, but why don't you trade car positions so the Volt is at the left side of the garage as seen from outside? Then the circuit and the EVSE can hang on thr left wall. Or, even better, park the Volt rear end first so the charge port is facing the right side of the garage, and move the circuit and EVSE to that side. My Level 2 EVSE is on the right side at the rear, but it can reach any side and corner of my two carports (see my post with pictures) because the cable is 25 feet long.

Ii I were your inspector I will never approve of any circuit hanging from the ceiling. Redo it better to one side wall and be safe.

Extra: After saving your camera pictures under Windows, use the Photos application under Windows 10 to rotate the images, then save them again.

#4 · (Edited)
The water heater for the house makes one parking spot shorter than the other. My wife drives wanted the larger spot so parking everyday isn't tight. Some battles aren't worth it. =)

I thought about me backing in everyday, I could do it but I'd rather not because by the time I get home after my long commute at night and backing into a dimly lit garage is not my idea of a fun game. Also, I have kids that don't clean up as well as they should.

As for the hanging outlet, I'm sue it is fine because it sits next to the county approved hanging 120v outlet for the garage door opener. it's my plugged in clipper creek charger tat would lift eye brows. But the garage door mount bracket is solid and so is the wood mounted to it so it doesn't wiggle.

As for the pics, they are rotated properly on my computer and verified with several photo programs but they get rotated when I attach temp to this post. I pm'd steverino for help.

Eventually, I may need to move some where else but his will probably be my temp location for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#3 · (Edited)
Our house came new with ceiling outlets in the garage, so it will pass code here.

Or wall mount where your new circuit is on the front wall. I put both mine at nose positions. Can be used with cars in the nose or either side.

But if you want it coming down, that's cool. If it were me, I'd unravel the cord enough to charge the car, but not hit the ground.
At just below eye level, I'd ziptie a small bright stuffed animal to the cord to keep people from walking into it. It will also aid pulling into the correct location.

#7 ·
It looks like a really great set up. I have planned a very similar project in my garage. I would personally be tempted to leave the cord hanging just above floor level, but it sounds like you have kids playing in the garage and want to keep it out of their reach.

I think one possible solution would be to secure one end of a bungee cord near the EVSE so it is dangling down alongside the charge cord. Tie a string to the lower end of the bungee that is long enough so that you can reach up and grab the bottom of the string to pull the lower end of the bungee cord down, without using a ladder. When finished charging, hook the charge cord connector into the lower end of the bungee cord, then allow the bungee to pull it up out of the way. You may need to loop part of the charge cord through the bungee cord hook as well to get everything up out of reach. I think someone else posted about using a screen door spring in a similar way (in place of the bungee). You also may find you get more lift distance using a longer bungee cord or multiple bungee cords end-to end and securing them as high as possible at ceiling level. Running multiple strands of bungees side-by-side will lift more weight.

I would avoid any set up where there is a lifting bungee pulling up on the charge cord while the car is charging. That strain may not be good for the car-side connector or your charge cord.

#9 ·
I totally agree with your points about not putting strain on charger port and L2 plug-in. I too envision multiple bungies for hanging or maybe mount my holster to the existing setup.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've got some more ideas but welcome any others.

#8 ·
Another way to keep the cable higher is to buy a roll of industrial strength velcro (Home Depot, Amazon, etc). Mark the cable where you want it to fold. Clean with alcohol, wrap male side near/on handle, and female side on the cable. The stuff is pretty strong and will easily hold a charge handle airborne.

#10 · (Edited)
Nice job! As an electrical engineer in the power industry I see absolutely nothing wrong with your conduit and box work. Your hanging installation is very clever. As long as you are not hanging ON the cord, the extra dangling weight should cause no significant additional strain whatsoever. What might work if you wanted to spend a little extra time and dough, is to buy an inexpensive retracting hose reel and mount it on the ceiling to pull down and lift up the plug cord. Even though you wouldn't be able to fish the cable through the axle of the reel, you will only be raising and lowering it 4-6 feet. Just leaving a bit of twist slack between the reel and charger should work fine.

$80 at Home Depot

#12 ·
#13 ·
Ok, here are some of the pics with my current set up but simply added the holster. Surprisingly, it added nicely to my existing setup which involved mounting it to my existing plastic plate that I mounted to the garage door opener to keep the extra cable from falling. So now the rectangular plastic piece doubles as support for the holster. :cool:

My only minor gripe is that the clipper creek holster doesn't match the black of the LCS-20p charging unit so it looks like an after thought instead of integrated. Maybe I'll paint the outside of the holster someday if it continues to catch my eye.

Here's some pics of the added holster

Vehicle Car Automotive design Transport Mid-size car
Ceiling
Vehicle Ceiling Technology Automotive exterior

#14 ·
#15 · (Edited)
#17 ·
I guess both links were meant to be a joke. The best price on the torque wheel is about $450. At that price, a rich person would just get the clipper creek accessory at $395.

I'll stick with my inexpensing, existing set up shown above until it no longer suit my needs or my foot stool breaks:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.