GM Volt Forum banner

2014 Volt Heater/Firewall Rubbing

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jbakerjonathan 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I just recently payed the dealership a large sum of money to track down and repair a creaking sound in my 2014 Volt, which turned out to be my heater core rubbing against the firewall whenever I accelerate or decelerate. For those who are well-versed in the inner workings of a Chevy Volt--where is the heater core, how would I most easily access it, and if you have had a problem like this before, how did you fix it? The dealership said that they "re-shimmed my heater," but I can tell you that a week later this hasn't worked permanently.

Thank you all in advance, and feel free to let me know if you need any additional info.

#2 ·
I'd bring it back to the dealer given that your car is still under warranty. Let them figure out how to solve the problem permanently.

#4 · (Edited)
I think that ClarksonCote is referring to the warranty of the repair. The paid-for repair did not fix the problem. A return to the dealership to point this out is in order. Let them determine what they did wrong - that determination being on their dime - and make the lasting repair, again, on their dime, since you have already paid them for the repair. Good luck.

EDIT: Additional thought: if it is determined that additional, or replacement parts are required to complete the repair, the cost of that/those part(s) are at additional cost to you. You should not have to pay for the labor to disassemble'replace once again, only for the labor to install the new part.

#5 ·
The heater core is located inside the dash, unlikely what is causing this noise since it does not move and is not connected to anything that moves. I have seen a lot of cars that make a clicking type noise when taking off and stopping, noise coming from the wheels turned out to be loose cv axle shaft nuts. Retorqued them and the noise was gone. I would recommend you take the car back and go on a road test with the tech to make sure he/she is trying to fix the correct noise you hear.

#7 ·
Any reputable repair facility will warrant the work they have done for some given period of time. Those times will vary from place to place. Usually, the warranty period is found in writing somewhere on the receipt, but certainly the service manager will be able to state the period. "Hey, the problem is still occurring. When can you take the car back to fix it? OK, thanks, Monday at 9 AM it is." Or words to that effect.

My dealer usually has my complaint typed on the receipt as well as the parts used to correct the problem. If there were parts used, can you post the P/N's so that we can better understand the area worked on? Perhaps you can also state the labor hours for trouble shooting and the labor hours for the repair, too.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.