GM Volt Forum banner

Best way to plug in at Hotel?

52K views 84 replies 30 participants last post by  itsgene 
#1 ·
Here's a pic of 2 Volts plugged in over night at the Omaha Marriott (on the chevroletvoltage.com cross country trip to L.A.). Am I too paranoid, or are there others who fear the charger being stolen in the middle of the night? My thought for outdoor charging such as at a hotel was to plug the 120V charger into the port on the Volt, then feed it into the Volt cabin through the driver's window, then attach it to an extension cord that is fed back out the driver's window and plugged in to the outdoor power outlet. Then roll the window almost all the way up, with the cords sticking out. Make any sense?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
LOL
They must have had to dial back the charge rate on both control heads to prevent those breakers from blowing!
Certainly leaving the charge cord housing open to the elements isn't the best solution from a safety standpoint either.

Although not recommended there's really nothing wrong with what you are proposing, with the following caveat (taken directly from the owners manual)

Volt Owners Manual said:
Warning: An extension cord should not be used to charge the vehicle. Use of an extension cord may increase the risk of electric shock or other hazards.

If an extension cord is used because of limited access to 120V AC power, use the following safeguards:

The 120V AC outlet should be GFCI protected.

The extension cord should be:
• GFCI protected.
• 12 or 14 gage, 3 conductor.
• Rated for outdoor.
I would just place the charger control head directly on the floor (not the seats due to potential heat buildup)

Something else that may help (and something I've done to prevent water intrusion and pinching when routing cables/cords/hoses into a passenger compartment) is to fashion a temporary foam seal from a short section of hot-water pipe insulation, (avail at HomeDepot) trimmed to the length of the window with a ~1" gap. You can also cut a couple of slots (at an angle) into it to slip-fit the 2 cords. Then just place it on the half-raised window, arrange the cords and roll it up "just" until a weatherproof seal is formed.

Also you if you are using the smartphone app, you might want to make sure the "unplugged" warning is engaged for extra security.

HTH
WopOnTour

#59 ·
I would just place the charger control head directly on the floor (not the seats due to potential heat buildup)

Something else that may help (and something I've done to prevent water intrusion and pinching when routing cables/cords/hoses into a passenger compartment) is to fashion a temporary foam seal from a short section of hot-water pipe insulation, (avail at HomeDepot) trimmed to the length of the window with a ~1" gap. You can also cut a couple of slots (at an angle) into it to slip-fit the 2 cords. Then just place it on the half-raised window, arrange the cords and roll it up "just" until a weatherproof seal is formed.

Also you if you are using the smartphone app, you might want to make sure the "unplugged" warning is engaged for extra security.

HTH
WopOnTour
WOT,
I've done exactly as you've described and it works great! I bought a 100' 12ga. extension cord at Lowes and a piece of pipe insulation. I cut two notches in it for each cord. I store it all together in the hatchback in a plastic bin. I'll try to post photos once the weather improves. All are kept secure and dry except for the cable ends extending to each receptacle. I prefer to use my 220V Voltec charger, but the 110 system works fine when needed.

#6 · (Edited)
If the car is disconnected from the charger without a key fob present, I'm pretty sure it starts honking like a car alarm.

Most hotels don't have windows you can open; the picture above seems like the most practical way to go, though not elegant.

#7 ·
If the car is disconnected from the charger without a key fob present, I'm pretty sure it starts honking like a car alarm.
This is true, and effective providing you are within earshot. (although pretty much everyone seems to just ignore the honk-honk-honk of these types of theft deterrants)
It arms when you lock the doors using the FOB and is disarmed when the doors are unlocked (either by the FOB or passively when the handle is pulled with a FOB in close proximity)

WOT

#8 ·
If you're on the ground floor and the climate is mild, many hotels have a nice air conditioner with a 220V 20 amp cord on the wall facing the parking lot. :)

Also the car will alarm (lights and horn) if the charge cord is unplugged while the doors are locked.

#11 ·
Good advice above on the window / extension cord / insulation method. Thanks guys!

Sort of off topic, I saw somewhere that Motel 6 was sponsoring something EV-related, so they may be more likely to be an EV-friendly place to stay. I haven't investigated that yet, but will be doing so for my trip back from DC in December.

#12 ·
So what is everyone thinking in terms of hotel charging etiquette? Should you always ask permission, or just plug in and see what happens?

I'm thinking at least at first I'll scope out an available outlet, then mention to the desk clerk that I noticed an outlet and ask if I can plug in overnight. If there is a cost objection, I'll offer to pay an additional $1.50 for the night, which is likely more than the cost of the charge. If I find I'm getting turned down a lot I suppose I might start plugging in without asking.

Any EV owners with experience in this area?

#15 ·
I know, because we live near Detroit, that some folks will steal anything they can. I really don't see any usefull purpose in stealing a Volt charge cord though. I am sure those folks don't own a volt and there isn't enough value in the copper wire to bother with.

#20 · (Edited)
Since it's somewhat on topic, I'll take this opportunity to post the "installation" instructions for the 120V charger cord assembly. Of course the unit is fully portable, but mounting it off the floor/ground is generally considered desireable.

In case anyone missed it. I've posted the installation instructions for the GM Accessory "Voltec" charger in this thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...e-and-the-agreement-to-sign&p=46153#post46153

HTH
WopOnTour

Attachments

#21 ·
#23 ·
I have a solution. When I look at the photo on page one, I see the charging chord hanging down next to the front left wheel. There appears to be some device on the chord next to the wheel spokes. Suppose that was a locking device, similar to a padlock? If you could lock the chord tightly to one of the wheel spokes it would be impossible to pull the chord through the lock because the terminals are much wider....the thief would have to cut the chord thereby making it unusable and worthless to the thief. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the device in the photo is a lock !!

#24 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, that's just a sewn on strap/velcro. Part of the cord storage management system. I won't dispute the possibility of using a bike lock though. But it would probably have to be at the 120V plug-in end, perhaps through the integrated carry handle. Maybe it needs a "lap-top" lock key-hole? Gonna email LEAR.
WOT

EDIT: Well I can see some cable lock opportunities in THIS photo. Basically though just securing it from "honest people. Any semi-serious thief would own it easily.

Attachments

#25 ·
Yep...that's velcro, I couldn't make that out in the lower res picture. Thanks.
I still think a lock device that can hold the cable snug against a wheel spoke would work......it would be impossible to pull either end of the cable past the lock and spoke. Or, perhaps there is a towing ring closeby to utilize in the same manner. Sadly a thief only interested in scrap value will destroy and steal it no matter what you contrive.

#31 ·
Ah, I missed this comment the first go 'round... Didn't realize there were three posts since my question. :)

If you can buy additional brackets for the charge cord, like the one used in the mounting instructions PDF, I may just buy one and use that on the light pole at work. I found some brackets that allow for sign mounting, and I'm sure they would allow for mounting this bracket just as easily. (See http://www.streetsignusa.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=670)

May also consider a bungee though if that handles the weight ;)

#44 · (Edited)
There may be one, or the lightning-bolt-in-a-triangle pictorial warning. The pictures of the Voltec level-2 unit installations elsewhere on this site seem to show a black rectangular item near where the vehicle cord leaves the housing. This is most likely such a warning sticker.

But, level-2 chargers are generally hard-wired on the utility side. On the wall socket end of the level-1 charger there is no more danger than plugging in a lamp or other appliance. It's a plain old ordinary electric plug. On the vehicle end of either charger, there really isn't any significant danger for three reasons.

1. The design of the connector is such that the live contacts are difficult to accidentally touch. They're shrouded deep in individual insulated wells with an overall circular shroud.

2. The main contacts are de-energized until the connector is mated with a vehicle. Other than a small 12-volt communication signal, there are no live contacts at the vehicle connector when idle. Only once the car is physically connected and the vehicle electronics gives a "ready" signal are the main contacts energized.

3. The electronics in the charge cord module include a GFCI to de-energize the vehicle connector in the event of a fault within the vehicle or cordset causing "sneak" current flow. This means that if the current supplied to the vehicle electronics doesn't exactly match the current coming back from the vehicle electronics (such as a person in contact with a live wire and a wet floor), the power is immediately shut off.

You're free to purchase a labelmaker and place whatever warnings you would like on your charge unit and vehicle, of course.

Personally, I think that we have long since passed the tipping point of people paying attention to warning labels due to the excessive use thereof. Have you bought a hammer recently and read its labels? Their purpose is no longer to provide real information regarding actual non-obvious hazards. Their purpose is to give manufacturers a legal defense by suggesting that the user didn't follow directions.

#66 ·
Instead of running the chords through the window, could you just put the level 1 charger under the hood and run the chords out the bottom? Combined with rolling over the extension cord with the tire, that would seem reasonably secure. I don't have my Volt yet, so I don't really know anything yet, just thinking.

#69 · (Edited)
FYI, the "ChargePoint" network has several L1/L2's EVSEs (ok, the L1 are only outlets, no J-1772 with them), at "Element Hotels" and "Residence Inn", in fact the only charging infrastructure in Boston currently is at these hotels. Of course these are not exactly Boston either, both are in the suburbs (or NH :) ). Notice the one at the "Residence Inn" has a L2 with a J-1772 availble, as well as the L1 outlet as well. FYI, its free to sign up for the ChargePint network, and I think they charge you $10 for either a keyfob or wallet RFID to activate the equipment. Most are still free, but the venue has the option to charge in the future (you can put a credit card on your account, if you need that). We also have one nearby at a furniture store, believe it or not (Cardis in West Warwick, RI)

http://www.mychargepoint.net/find-stations.php#

Name: STAY CHARGED AT / ELEMENT HOTELS
Address: 727 Marrett Rd, Lexington, MA 02421, USA
Status as of : 2011-01-02 23:06:44 (EST)
Port 1: 120V, 16A, NEMA 5-20R:Available
Action: Get Directions

Name: RESIDENCE INN / 3
Address: 91 Hall St, Concord, NH 03301, USA
Description: Level I & II charging available
Status as of : 2011-01-02 23:06:47 (EST)
Port 2: 240V, 30A, J1772:Available

Name: CARDISFURNITURE / WEST WARWICK 1
Address: 1681 Quaker Ln, West Warwick, RI 02893, USA
Description: Level I and II charging available to the public
Status as of : 2011-01-02 23:06:46 (EST)
Port 2: 240V, 30A, J1772:Available

#74 ·
More hotel fun

Found another advantage of plugging in at a hotel/motel on the road. After spending a week with my FIL in central TX, we've spent the last couple days with my middle child here in sunny Lubbock TX (where I've had the pleasure of seeing what ~26 degrees does to my AER).

The hotel we're staying in had promised us a spot to plug in, and sure enough they've had ONE. It's on a pillar at one end of the check-in portico, so my car's parked front and center in *the* prime spot at the hotel while it's recharging.

Which also means its under the (somewhat) watchful eyes of the front desk, and always directly being watched by a security camera. While we don't have snow forecast for tonight, if we did I'd be covered. Nice!

Tomorrow we're in Albuquerque, and the hotel there says we'll have pretty much the same arraignment parking under the portico (don't know about the security cam). We'll have to see what Flagstaff has to say our next (and last) day on the road...

#75 ·
Tomorrow we're in Albuquerque, and the hotel there says we'll have pretty much the same arraignment parking under the portico (don't know about the security cam).
Have a nice layover in Albuquerque. The weather's supposed to be GREAT, high of 47 today and 48 tomorrow. (I'm just 100 miles north. You wouldn't be interested in a little side trip, would you? ;) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.