GM Volt Forum banner

2012 Clicking sound from outside car starting and stopping at low speed

56K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  Dongigi 
#1 · (Edited)
I noticed a clicking sound coming from the outside of my Volt starting and stopping at low speeds. I uploaded a video capturing the sound....anyone know what is causing this??

#2 ·
Wish I could help, my 2013 makes a different "clicking" sound while being driven at LOW speeds (easily heard entering/departing our garage) and when creeping along near a building like at a fast food drive in. And it even clicks for about 5 to 10 seconds even after I shut off the car.

It's one of those noises that make no sense and will be a bear to trouble shoot hence my reluctance to take it to my dealer.

#4 · (Edited)
Ac was off when I took the video. Clicking happened every time I accelerated and each time I slowed using the brakes. Seems a sudden shift in momentum caused the clicks.
Also happened slowing down in L, but not as pronounced.

#5 ·
I'd check the brake calipers just to be sure. There have been a rare few where the bolts were loose.

You might also walk alongside the car while it's being driven to help pinpoint the source.

Also, pebbles stuck in the tire tread can sometimes make a clicking noise at low speed. When I rotate my tires I remove these while checking for nails, etc.

#7 · (Edited)
I don't think it's the brakes because it happens slowing down in L as well. It also happens on acceleration long after I released the brakes. And it only happens upon slowdown or acceleration at low speed. It's possible it also happens at higher speeds, but the wind/road noise drowns it out.

Someone on FB said it could be a possible CV joint gone bad? Sounds like it's coming from the LF, but not 100%.

#8 ·
I have two 2012s and one of them makes a very similar noise. It also happens at low speeds, but only when turning.

Of course I am almost always braking going into a turn, but I have been able to make the noise happen when I did not brake.

My first thought was the brake pads were put it without the shims, so they wobble a little. Then I was thinking a bad CV joint. But then I read that GM changed the struts late in the 2012 model year, so I suspect it could be that as well.

My noise seems to come from whichever one the outside wheel is when I turn.

My brakes are really tight and the alignment is good, so I am reluctant to mess with anything and have been living with the noise so far.

#11 ·
Well, I'm taking my Volt in anyways soon to get some work done (broken left rear door lock, tire rotation, and I'm gonna inquire again about a possible free shorter air dam install). Hopefully they can figure out what is causing these clicks. It is really starting to annoy me, now that I know it's there.

#12 ·
So I got the service invoice back from the dealership (Volt still sitting there waiting for parts to come in for warranty fixes). Attached a screenshot of what the dealership put in the section about the clicking sounds. I'll see if the problem was actually fixed when I go pick up my Volt hopefully in another day or 2.

Text Font Line Monochrome

#21 ·
Just FYI, I had some clicking noises at low speed recently too, but it really seemed to be coming from the brakes. Was at the dealer a few weeks ago for tire rotation / oil change so had them look at it. They said the front brakes were a little gunked up, so they cleaned and lubed them and the noise was gone. No charge (still under B2B).

#23 ·
There are a few threads similar to this one around the forum. Lots of posts about washers needing adding, nuts being torqued,etc. One major post about nut torque and stick-slip effect of the shaft at the CV joint making noise.

Another possibility for this sound is the wheel bearing failing. FYI, here's a post I just made in another similar thread:

"This past week I had my right front wheel bearing replaced (mileage of 120k km). My symtpom sounded the same as the OP. A click-click sound when braking or accelerating - best heard at about 20km/h (windows open). Very distinct and reproducible. Needed alternate braking/accelerating. For example, if I brake, brake, brake, accelerate, brake the sound was only heard on the first brake, not the next two, and then again on the first brake after accelerating. Vice versa for accelerating. Dealership reported there was play in that hub, so if they're to be believed, the issue for me was not a stick-slip issue at the CV joint due to low nut torque (as discussed extensively in the other Pop noise thread). Sound gone after hub replacement. Cost of parts/labour was about CAN$450 since the hub is apparently an integral unit with speed sensor, etc."

#24 ·
Also, if it's been a while, start with a brake service (cleaning, lubing, adjusting) and see if it goes away.
It can't hurt, and needs to be done every few years anyway.

Turns out my clicking was a brake pad sticking and then releasing and snapping into place.

Much cheaper than any other options if out of warranty.

#25 ·
I have sounds coming from the back of the car at starting/stopping at low speeds also. It sounds like the gas stove when you try to light it. Maybe about 3 clicks per second. Only at stop/go traffic and never on highways.

Anyone else? Should I take it in for service?

P.S. Mine's a Gen 2 Volt, but just adding to this thread in case the people here had more clues. Thanks.

#27 ·
Had the exact same clicking sound on the same wheel as bro1999 described in post #1- I have 38k mi on my 2014 volt.
So I popped the little center hub cap off- tightened the axle shaft nut with a 1/2" breaker bar- took it for a road test... no more clicking on accel/decel! :D
I checked the passenger side axle shaft nut too... it was rock solid tight- it wouldn't budge at all.

Three min zero $$ fix in the driveway....love it!

#28 ·
I bought a '13 volt 3 weeks ago and noticed the noise described in this thread during the test drive. Tonight I had time to pull the wheels and have a look. Both axle nuts were loose, so much so that they weren't really exerting any clamping force against the hubs/bearings. I torqued to specs. If they loosen again I'll replace them with the updated parts listed in this thread. Regardless it's an easy fix. Glad I found this thread!

#32 · (Edited)
Count me as the 6th person in this thread to have the clicking sounds caused by loose axle nuts as described by Bro1999. I'm at 40,000 miles, but it showed up around 35,000. I'm out of the b2b so the dealer charged me for a 1/2 hour of labor to tighten them along with a few other loose bolts they found.

#34 ·
No, it's a bad spring tension spacer between the axle and hub. Or, in some cases, GM forgot to install the tension spacer. Tightening the axle nut sometimes helps for a while. But, until that spacer is replaced, the clicking noise will return. It's a cheap part, but the axle has to be seperated from the wheel hub to change it. That usually requires separating the lower balljoint, which is annoying to do.

A lot of GM cars, including the Volt, have this issue. Most have TSBs for it, but I haven't seen one for the Volt. So, the dealers usually go overboard and say the whole axle needs to be changed.

#35 ·
Where do the parts go?

Hi folks, I bought new nuts and washers for the axles I read through the various threads and what is not clear to me is where the *washer* goes.

I've attached two pics, one from a parts place where I got the nuts and washers and one of the parts themselves.

I thought the washer was a lock washer for the nut but I might be wrong about this. Does anyone have a proper exploded view of where the washer goes and how I get it there before I attempt this fix to repair my clicking.

Thanks

Text Line Font Diagram Design
Auto part

#36 ·
Ok

Think I found the answer to this, the washer seems to go next to the hub on the inside, not the outside as a lock washer.

Which orientation does this go? it has 3 fingers on the washer, do they go on the inside or towards the hub side?

FYI here is what I found on the Cruze about this problem, interestingly Text Document Paper Font Paper product
the washer is the same PN for our Volts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.