GM Volt Forum banner

Google Maps + iPhone + Bluetooth to the car = "Call Ended"

35K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  richardw0000 
#1 ·
This is weird - when I'm using the new Google Maps app on my iPhone 4 connected via Bluetooth to the car's built-in bluetooth, the audio turn-by-turn nav has this rather odd behavior:

"In 100 feet" (google lady)
"Call ended" (Volt)
"Turn Left"
"Call ended"

And so on. This is just weird, IMO. It's almost unusable, quite frankly. All those "Call Ended"s are just f'ed up.

I do a little iOS app development, and I get the audio part a little bit. I'm guessing that Google is just doing something funky that interacts poorly with the Volt. If I'm connected via my BT headset, I don't get the "call ended" business.

It's something like there's some TTS going on in the Google app, and then that speech is played out through the connected speakers. But I don't get music through bluetooth, and I'm not sure I get other beeps and ringtones through bluetooth. I can play music if the phone is connected via an iPod cable, but not on bluetooth only.

I'm not sure if Google, Apple, GM/OnStar, some, or all of them get to share in the blame.

See less See more
#2 ·
The "Call ended" is the Volt talking... It happens anytime the bluetooth phone profile is closed. I don't believe there is any setting that can be changed by us to make it stop

Another very STUPID decision in the infotainment system that GM WILL NEVER CORRECT...

I didn't mind this kind of crap before but watching how Telsa rolls out software upgrades for major functions while GM can't make simple UI changes just pisses me off :(

#3 ·
I got that that was the volt - different voice, etc. what I don't get is why google used the phone profile for the communication. GM on my droid doesn't do this, for example.

Just another example of the 1990's thinking that permeates the OnStar software. This is the single most disappointing thing in the car. There's an entire list of features where this is WAY BEHIND the competition.

#7 ·
Which Iphone- I just downloaded the google app for my Iphone-5 after reading your post and will try it out.

I had an odd glitch using remotelink and the iphone-5 that needed a cold boot ( the reset not the restart) to fix (the on/off button and the home button)

#8 ·
Which Iphone- I just downloaded the google app for my Iphone-5 after reading your post and will try it out.
iPhone 4 (not a 4S, so I don't get Siri or TBT nav with Apple Maps).

#11 ·
No MyLink in my MY12 Volt. I can't comment on MyLink behavior one way or the other. This continual "call ended" nonsense makes it unusable, IMO.

#12 ·
Same call ended problem with my iphone5.

I sent my development phone to sister for Xmas so can't test any beta iOS for a time and it may take a new app from google to fix.

Other than this problem the app is a good addition to my navigations programs.

Have navigon and Tom-Tom USA.

Yes I have the volt built in nav system but I need something to tell me where I parked the volt.

#13 ·
So, does this work in non-Mylink cars with phones other than the iPhone? I assumed the BT communications in non-Mylink cars were limited strictly to phone calls. I accidentally streamed Pandora radio from my Blackberry via BT in my non-Mylink vehicle, but it thought it was a phone call and quickly cut off, etc (the sound also sounded like a tinny telephone).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.