GM Volt Forum banner

MUST SEE/READ about Volt Crash

8K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  flankspeed8 
#1 ·
Wanted to share the pictures and story that I was forward from my clients at GM. This amazing about the crash this Volt stood up too. The car did it's job great and I feel a lot safer now after reading this. See below:

FYI.....this is spectacular and really shows the Volt's crash worthiness. .....please share as you deem appropriate. Go Volt!

John Hughes
Chevrolet Volt Marketing & Promotions Manager

Hi Mr. Hughes,

I got your name from my Volt Dealer here in Orange County, CA.

I bought a 2013 Volt in November 2012 for my 20 year old daughter Caroline and we all loved it.
I have a Porsche 911s and a BMW 740il. The Volt was our favorite car to drive.

On August 3rd, a drunk driver hit Caroline from the right rear traveling in the same direction.
The drunk driver hit our Volt so hard it knocked the Volt off the road down a 15 foot embankment.
Caroline in the Volt rolled several times down the embankment before hitting a tree.
Caroline was taken by ambulance to a local hospital where she suffered only a black eye, arm lacerations
and stitches to her left foot. Our Farmers insurance adjuster said he never saw a car that mangled without a fatality.

We are grateful to you and GM for making the Volt so safe. The fact that Caroline survived that crash
was a miracle from God and the 10 Volt airbags. I am in the middle of buying another Volt right now
and thought you would like to share this story with anyone else at GM or with any potential Volt buyers.

Dr. Kerry Johnson

See less See more
#7 ·
Roofs look like this a lot in crashes, not from the crash, but because the quickest way to make an emergency extrication is through the roof rather than trying to pry open a jammed door. I speak from bitter experience.

#10 ·
Though this piece has been repeated, it's a good reminder and should be repeated often, that we are in a vehicle that gets 5 stars in its safety test. Further it is a reminder that over the 40 years we have seen the the number of fatalities for vehicular crashes fall from 60,000 to 39,000 due to designed changes in vehicles, even though there are nearly double the number of register vehicles on the road. It also shows that more cars should meet the 5 star safety test to reduce the fatalities even further. Just imagine how many lives could be saved, injuries reduced, money saved and maybe just important reduction of psychological trauma on our first responders. My only wish is every car would at least meet the safety standards of the Volt or go beyond them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.