GM Volt Forum banner

Spare standard charge cord

25K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  bjhorton2005 
#1 ·
Has anyone purchased a spare charge cord (120V) for their Volt? I'd like to keep one in the car and another at home in the garage ready for use. What is the cost of a spare cord?

Hopefully I'll have my Volt here in Pittsburgh before the end of March. I'm currently at 3400...

-Dan

#2 ·
Has anyone purchased a spare charge cord (120V) for their Volt? I'd like to keep one in the car and another at home in the garage ready for use. What is the cost of a spare cord?
Short answer is "NO". I'd be stunned if anyone has a spare 120V EVSE at this point.

There appears to be an issue between building power and the EVSE at my work. It caused my first EVSE to fail. GM's initial response was "at this point we're only able to make as many EVSEs as we are cars, so you can't have a replacement." Reminded that the failed EVSE was throwing GFCI faults and represented a danger to the owner, they begrudgingly replaced it.

When my second failed (and they'd had a very small number of failures from other owners) they were a lot more interested (and my facilities folk have installed a line monitor on the circuit I use). But the short of it is while there's a demand for second EVSEs, there's really not a supply at this point. Don't get worried though! Failures currently are rare, far and few between. The vast majority aren't having any problems (that I've heard of), and my EVSE works great at home. Remember that this is a totally new thing for GM and the rest of the industry. We should all remember that we're happy Beta testers. I'm certainly a happy camper with my Volt!

As to cost, I'd expect in the $450-$500 range. Still want one?

I sure do...

#3 ·
#10 ·
Portable Charger - Level 1 - Not available until March 2011 Leviton's Evr-GreenTM 120 Portable Charger provides the most flexibility for charging your electric vehicle. It can be plugged into any standard 15A receptacle found in just about any house, building or public facility. You won't need to worry about limiting the distance of your trip based on the range of a single charge!
Features and Benefits

• "Level 1" Charge System, allowing recharge from any standard household receptacle
  • Built-in communication verifies proper connection and electrical connections before charging can begin
  • Ground Fault Circuit Interrupting ensures safety
  • "Auto-Reset" feature enables charging to restart following a minor fault, thereby reducing the chance of being stranded with a low state of charge battery
  • Selectable charge rates to minimize risk of circuit overload
  • Weatherproof enclosure provides for indoor and outdoor use
  • Enclosure constructed of an environmentally responsible PBT resin that features 50-85% lower carbon footprint than other thermoplastics
  • Cord Management for easy storage
  • Connector docks into unit for easy storage
  • Light weight and easy to carry with you anywhere utilizing built in handle
  • Compatible with all EVSE Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Patent pending
  • Product Bulletin

http://www.munroelectric.com/silvereclipse/index.jsp?path=electriccarcharger

#11 ·
Leviton's Evr-GreenTM 120 Portable Charger provides the most flexibility for charging your electric vehicle.
Interesting. Similar to the Voltec 120V charger, but with a 7 amp lower power mode instead of 8 amp. While looking for pricing I came across this page. It lists the Voltec charge cord at $450, and the Panasonic cord set that comes with the Leaf at $508.

Both the Leviton and Voltec charge cord are shown as *not* being UL listed. The Leaf's is. Leviton's web site describes which UL standards they're pending on, so maybe it'll be UL by release.

#15 ·
I bought a spare 120V charger from my local dealer in PA. (My Volt came from VA.) It came within a week (two weeks ago), no worries. It was pretty expensive, maybe $400 or something. But a 240V charger is a TON of money for me, like $5K, because of the distance/contortions to our main breaker panel. For now, the 120V charge-time suffices. I only occasionally deplete the battery, on weekends, and the quick charge probably would not help that much. That said, I had to have a spare cable...

#18 · (Edited)
Cool. With this part number, I found it on gmpartsdirect.com for $315.

-----

GM PART # 22781210
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00

List Price: $450.00
Price: $315.00
You Save: $135.00 (30%)
DESCRIPTION: CABLE

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

(although there is some trickery as they want $75 for S&H !]
Another parts site says $360....

#22 ·
I just ordered one from GMPartsCenter.net for $374.85 + $7.95 S&H (that's actually just handling - FedEx shipping is included).

The online ordering process didn't say if the part was in stock or not, so I left a note telling them not to back order and to cancel my order if they can't ship it in 4 days. So far, the confirmation says my order is "Awaiting Processing", so I'll let you know what happens next. I paid with PayPal so I can always start a PayPal dispute if I don't hear anything in a week.

#23 ·
Ouch...$375 for an extension cord!
Actually, considering the rugged construction if the J1772 molded plug, the newness of the standard, the relatively small quantities being made, and getting a "genuine GM part", the price is not unreasonable - today.
I suspect that in a year or so, Pep Boys will be selling EVSEs for $100.

#24 ·
Here's an update: GMPartsCenter.net is actually "Van Chevrolet" in Scottsdale, AZ. 6 days after placing the order, I called and talked to Chuck, the Internet order person there. He said he checked the order he placed with the factory and it was canceled without a reason. He called them and learned much of what we already know here: The stock is very limited so they are trying to restrict orders to only warranty replacement. The factory said they are handling these orders on a case-by-case basis. They told him they would call back tomorrow with the status, which hopefully is that they will ship it. Otherwise, I could call yet another dealer (I already tried the dealer where I bought the car) or try to find the Leviton version.

#25 · (Edited)
They are on restriction for sure. Here is the Bullitin # PIC5386B and what your dealer will need to follow to order one for you. I am also expecting a call back from TAC in the morning for a cord I am ordering for another person from here.

Regards,

If you have questions you would like to bounce off me here is my contact info. I'd be happy to help...

Allen English
Ron Tonkin Chevrolet Parts Mgr.
1-800-460-5328 Ext. 4162

www.TonkinChevrolet.com

#26 ·
Just to follow up, I was able to speak with TAC today and have a charge cord on the way for my first customer. We should see it Monday. It takes the last 8 of your Vin# to order and we are offering them for $375.00 shipped to the lower 48.

#28 ·
I have two confirmed orders - Thanks!

I have one extra charge cord on order that I will see next week... First come first serve.

Regards,
Allen English @ TonkinChevrolet.Com
1-800-460-5328 Ext. 4162
E-mail: aenglish@tonkin.com if you have questions.
Hours 8:AM - 4:30 Pacific Time

#32 ·
its the original chord that came with the car........the black rubber collar at the base covering the orange chord is breaking up, and now the orange chord is getting pulled out of the base, resulting with insulation and wires exposed...something that would not be good in rain........... can push it back in but it's only a matter of time.

Steve in Boca Raton #313

#34 ·
Your dealership should be able to warranty the charge cord even if you bought it as an extra and it is 12 months or less old. The warranty would be pending inspection though. For example if you drove over your charge cord and it damaged it then your warranty would be void.

#35 ·
FWIW I just purchased Volt #0369 as a demonstrator, and the charge cord was in awful shape, the strain relief at the J-1772 head was almost gone, and the strain relief at the body was completely broken, the only thing keeping the cord on was the electrical connections themselves :-/ and the dealer I bought it thru had a replacement to me 3 days after I made the complaint, but they did say they are only replacing under warrantee and demanded the broken one back before giving me the new one. So I guess they're still in short supply.

#37 ·
@ zben,

You are correct, they are still under parts restriction and can only be replaced under warranty for the time being.

#38 ·
The temperature of the inlet plug on my 120 VAC EVSE is too hot to touch, and this is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. That can't be good. I've ordered a 240 VAC unit it hasn't been installed, but I did jury rig a connection from the 240 outlet I normally use for my table saw, and I am happy to report it charges real fast and stays real cool.

Does anyone know if the 120 Volt unit is UL approved? It just doesn't seem right that it should get so hot. Perhaps while the numbers are still low it might be smart for GM to correct this situation. The fix may be as simple as exchanging your old unit with a unit that has been upgraded with 12 gauge inlet wiring.

#39 ·
Does anyone know if the 120 Volt unit is UL approved? It just doesn't seem right that it should get so hot.
The hot copper is normal. Try running a hair-dryer for a few minutes, and then touching the copper of the plug (gingerly).

The copper in your 240 volt installation also will be hot during use, as it is pumping roughly the same amperage, but at twice the voltage and in roughly half the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.