GM Volt Forum banner

Updating Gracenote Database and MyLink Car/Phone Connectivity in 2012 MY

13K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  LeelaLB 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! This is my first car with a hard drive that I can record CD's to, and I've been having a ball copying my CD's to it. But today, I popped in a CD (Gorillaz - The Fall) that wasn't in my Gracenote database and after I recorded it, I noticed there weren't any options to edit the meta data (which was just the date and track numbers). Wondering how I might update my Gracenote database, I searched around for a while and saw some interesting articles about Gracenote and MyLink in the 2012 MY (which I have) and how you'd be able to see album art and use your smartphone to connect your car online (and presumably update your Gracenote db?). But my manual doesn't mention anything about it (and I haven't received the Nav/Map manual yet) so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Was this feature delayed, or am I just missing something? I've looked through every option I can find in the car and plugged my iPhone in via USB etc, and just can't figure out how to connect via "MyLink". I even tried running the RemoteLink app while connected, and still nothing. Originally I was just looking for a way to update my album info, but now that I see the album art in the feature list, I want that too!

Also, I haven't figured out how to stream music over bluetooth to the car. I can control the iPod music on my phone over USB (again, no album artwork) and while I can play Pandora over USB, I can't control the app from the car (but my buddy can stream and control Pandora over bluetooth to his Mazda from his Android, so one can hope...).

See less See more
#2 ·
Until MyLink is available for the Volt, you will not have Gracenote, Stitcher, Pandora or Bluetooth streaming. There is still no more info on when it will be available. Most people on this website are assuming that if you don't order it as an option, you will not be able to add it later (hardware & software).

#3 ·
I hope it is just a software update, and not some additional hardware that will become an option at some point during the 2012 run. It looks like the current Gracenote db is bundled with the Nav Disc (see here: http://www.gmnavdisc.com/default.asp?lang=en). I'm guessing MyLink would allow you to do over the air updates rather then have to update from a Nav Disc every year or so (especially since you'd probably download the album artwork that way, vs. cramming every album cover on the Nav Disc). One would hope the Nav updates would be delivered that way too (but that might be closing off a revenue stream for GM?).

#4 ·
I already asked my Volt advisor about the possibility of adding Chevy MyLink to the standard radio option as a field upgrade. I was told it will not be available as an upgrade.

I was also told not to expect to see MyLink until late spring of 2012.

So I changed my order to the Bose radio with nav. I do not expect to see Chevy MyLink added to that sound system either.

And I am not sure, but you may be confusing the Onstar MyLink phone app with the Chevy MyLink sound system. You are not the only one to have done that. So Onstar recently changed the name of their product to Remote Link.

No good news, but I hope it clears up some of the confusion....

My TPW is only Two Days Away!!!!! :)

#5 ·
GM is now claiming the MyLink radio will be available early spring. They also plan to offer the Cyber Gray by the end of the calendar year.
VM

#7 ·
#8 ·
Has anyone figured out how to have an MP3 album (several MP3's in a folder) play in the order of the original album instead of alphabetical order? (I guess MP3 doesn't retain that information). I've gone to putting a sequence number before the song title or copying direct from the CD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.