GM Volt Forum banner

Cadillac ELR with $35k Discount

33K views 104 replies 36 participants last post by  ClarksonCote 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Ah, nice catch. So actually $25k off, still a fairly steep discount it seems.

#8 ·
...but it's the perfect blend of art and science!

Who is the executive that signed off on that price. Interesting experiment - I always wanted to know, what would happen if a vehicle had a price far above it's perceived value for the sake of "exclusivity." Since no one in their right mind would take that billion dollar risk! Thanks ELR, results equal = just like it says in the text books.

#9 ·
the bad thing is.. this is a 1 year only car.. if you have ever own a 1 year owned car.. when stuff breaks its nearly impossible to fix within a reasonable price.. i will never do that again.. no matter how cheap they go on it.. my current car is a single year model in which they only had the drivetrain in the USA for a single year.. everytime i need parts.. they dont have them due to this.. because the car 1 year before me and 1 year after me.. dont work in most cases.. its really dumb... when i need something i have to special order it from the dealership and pay extra to have it and then wait while my car is in need of the part.. its just become a stupid nightmare..

#14 ·
Even with a beefy warranty?

#10 ·
My question is, has all available inventory already been distributed to dealers (i.e., did the factory only build the ELRs that were ordered), or are there still yet unshipped ELRs at the factory that dealerships won't touch with a 10-ft pole? And if Cadillac decides to release a 2015 ELR, will there be a single dealership that orders it if the MSRP isn't reduced?

#17 ·
I think they've all gone to dealerships, with the possible exception of the small fleet used for the test drive events in CA.

The highest vin I've seen on cars.com is 2180. About 600 have been sold through July, and as of Aug 2, 1400 were listed on cars. So under 200 of the 2180 vins are either not built or not listed on cars. My guess is that most of those are actually at dealers who aren't advertising them on cars.com. When I started tracking ELRs, the gap between high vin and (sold+listed) was much larger, and the last couple of months the number of reported sales has exceeded the drop in number listed on cars.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before the new guy at Cadillac (who apparently didn't think much of electric cars at Infiniti) officially ends any thoughts of there being a 2015.

#13 ·
Unfortunately, as I understand it, you can't select Sport throttle mapping without also getting Sport handling, which includes a Sport suspension setting, which some have described as having a "harsh" ride. Granted, maybe I'd like the Sport suspension setting. But my preference would be to allow the user to set up any combination of throttle mapping, ride firmness, etc.

Maybe in fact that is possible. If somebody knows the answer, please chime in, especially if I'm wrong about this.

Yes, the price is finally getting into a reasonable zone. But with the Gen 2 so near, I will not be buying an ELR or any other vehicle until the Gen 2 reveal has come to pass. And then it will probably be a Gen 2, most likely fully loaded. I really like a hatchback.

#25 ·
The issue for a 2015 is going to be price. None of my local dealers have been moving them at 15-20k off msrp. If there is going to be a 2015 my guess is there will have to be a major drop in msrp to get dealers to order them. Makes the case very well to not buy/lease now, wait a few months, and see what the 2015(if offered) has for an msrp.

#26 · (Edited)
I'm not certain where you're getting your info from.
First of all not all Cadillac dealers are ELR dealers. (just like not all Chevy dealers are Volt dealers) GM laid out the production, sales, and MSRP plans to all Cadillac dealers and only those that wanted to become ELR dealers did so.
Those that signed on the dotted line made certain time bound training, tools equipment, and allotment commitments and WILL be getting 2015 models as agreed to. MSRP "is what it is" and the dealers or even 2014 sales will have very little (if any) influence.
So... what are you talking about?
WOT

#27 ·
What dealer is going to order a 2015 with the knowledge of how hard it has been to sell a 2014? Only way is if the dealer is given a huge incentive. Even dealers who had little or know success in volts in 2012 2013 bought them for 2014 so why would any Cadillac dealer stock 2015 elr's?

#29 ·
I think the ELRs are starting to move with the latest incentives. I don't think GM was ever under the illusion that this was going to be a mass produced car. July saw just shy of 200 ELRs sold which is much higher than prior months. I just leased one last week and in talking to the salesperson it sounded like they are beginning to move more units. Mine was the fourth he had sold himself. He didn't know the total number of cars their dealership had sold, but he knew several other salesmen had moved units.

I think the best thing for GM to do would be to have 2015 MSRP for a fully loaded ELR around $60,000-$65,000 and increase the performance a tab bit. I think it needs to separate itself from the Volt and LEAF in 0-60 time which would help combat the notion that this is just an expensive Volt. If they could get 0-60 time around 6.5 seconds I think that would be ideal.

#71 ·
I'm not sure that 0-60 time alone would be a make or break issue. Personally a cars 0-60 time has never been a factor for me in my purchasing decision, and I suspect many would agree it's not item one on their list of things to look for in a car purchase.

The car has to do what I need it to do at all times (not just from 0-60) IMHO too much emphasis is placed on that aspect of a cars overall function.

#30 ·
Guys, just wait till December. It will be the December to remember w the fire sale w prices after rebates and incentives in the low 40s. Mark my words.

Ian B

#34 ·
Guys, just wait till December. It will be the December to remember w the fire sale w prices after rebates and incentives in the low 40s. Mark my words.
Ian B
I have marked your words. ;)

I had the same view as you about 6 months ago, that in December I could get a fire sale price because the cars would not move until then. Guess what, the fire sale price is NOW! GM does not want 2014s on the lots in December competing with 2015's, that is why they cut 20k off the price.

I've been following the supply in South Florida over a 200 mile radius, it has dwindled quickly in July and August. If there is a certain color combo or option that you want your choices are becoming very limited.

I got an awesome deal on mine with the color combo and options that I wanted (same payment as my Volt). Most importantly, I'm getting the 240V Bosch charging station for free, installed!

I loved my Volt. I look at the ELR as everything that I loved about my Volt wrapped in a prettier package. Great car so far, I love it.

#41 ·
Sales are obviously somewhat regional on the ELR. Nothing has sold here in CO in the past 2 months, despite 20k off MSRP (we also get a 6k state tax rebate), so that puts the cost after fed+state into the mid 40's here. I agree with Blastphemy, RoRo, and dmcmillen about overall pricing/sales. I would think August sales are going to be a big factor in what GM does with pricing. If sales continue in the 150+ range for august, there may be little if any change. I'm going to wait for the September incentives and then probably buy one.

#46 ·

#56 ·
Looking long term though, do you believe EV's are here to stay? I do.

GM has no choice but to sell EVs long term to meet CAFE requirements. The development budget for the ELR was low because all the up front costs were done on the Volt. GM has to use Caddy to compete with Tesla. I look at the ELR as a stop gap to keep the Volt buyers with a bit more funds "in house".

The only mistake GM made was over pricing the car by 20-25k. They took a gamble and lost. If they lower the price to max 52-58k I am sure sales will pick up drastically.

#63 ·
A certain up-and-coming CEO needs someone to explain to him the difference between calendar year sales and model year sales! LOL
There you go again reading something into a simple, straightforward post that isn't there. So when you can't refute facts and evidence-based arguments you resort to name calling, vacuous insults, and off-topic whining? Good to know such an upstanding hypocrite is moderating this forum. Sorry... super moderating this forum! Nice that the guy in charge is more of a child than the majority of children already posting here (e.g., Henry_FL, baragona, nozferatu, etc.).

#58 · (Edited)
Only the very early adopters. Here's the deal I can get today-
Msrp 78075

- 20000 (gm incentives and 5k demo credit)
-7500 fed tax credit
-6000 colorado tax rebate
-1000 lease "conquest"
-1500 "charger credit" ( I have a 220 outlet, so only need a charger for $500) cadillac will give you 2k, so 1500 is net to me after buying the charger

Total= 42075

There is obviously TTL, but that varies on where you live

Not a bad price. I would keep the car for at least 8 years (Erev warranty) so resale is not a huge issue.

Doubt it will get much better, but I can wait until sept just to make sure

#59 ·
I would lease one for about $450 a month, Max: 3 years and 30k miles, no money down.
What is the best lease currently offered on the ELR?
But also waiting for the Volt II and the Tesla 3.
My Volt lease is up September 2015, wife's Volt lease is over and out April 2016, perfect timing.
Also curious about the E-Golf and the next E-focus.

Finally we will have some choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.