GM Volt Forum banner

BMW I 8 ARRIVES IN CALIFORNIA

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DonC 
#1 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Sports car
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door Automotive design
My grandson snapped these photos of a BMW I 8 in Port Hueneme, Ca. Where BMW unloads their transport ships in California. Looks like the Volt will have some competition if you can afford a BMW.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like the Volt will have some competition if you can afford a BMW.
I suspect this will compete with the Tesla more than the Volt. The price will likely be two or more times the Volt's $35k.

#6 ·
Should be a better race car than the Model S. BMW says the i8 will compete with supercars and all supercars are faster than the Model S. The 0-60 times may be similar but the i8 will definitely handle the curves better. No getting around the physics of F=ma. It apparently will also have a much higher price tag -- think $150K rather than $100K. But hey, you get "generous" 2+2 seating. LOL

#8 ·
Beautiful, but a sheep in wolf's clothing. Mediocre electric performance. About as quick as a Volt with range and max speed similar to Plugin Prius. Mediocre gas performance, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Slower than a Tesla at about the same price, much slower than a Corvette that costs half as much. Despite having an ICE, no range extender capability, basically a good looking gas sports car with a very basic electric drive added on, almost as an after thought.

#9 · (Edited)
The i8 goes 0-60 in less than 4.5 seconds. The Model S Performance in 4.2 seconds. The Corvette in 3.8 seconds. There are some differences but all these times are more or less the same. I doubt the same driver would see much difference.

Of all three I'd expect the Model S to be the slowest on a course. It's carrying too much weight to be quick in the corners. (Keep in mind the lighter and faster Tesla Roadster didn't crack the top 100 fastest cars on the Top Gear course).

Also let's not forget that at some point it's more about the driver than the car. I have no doubt that a professional driver in an Impala would easily beat my times in a Model S Performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.