GM Volt Forum banner

Torklift Eco Hitch INSTALLED with pics and bike rack.

27K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  Ringo6702 
#1 · (Edited)
Ordered a Torklift Eco Hitch:
http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/...25-Stealth-ECO-Series-Trailer-Hitch-p1068.htm

Had the great folks over at Stingray Chevrolet do the install for me (took them no time at all)

Installed a Thule 917XTR T2:
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Thule/TH917XTR.html

Anyway since there are hardly any pictures of Volts with bike racks I figured I would post on the rack I got.

Enjoy!

The rack fits excellent, and it can be folded up when not in use. I just put this setup together today and have not got a chance to use it yet. I will post some more pics tomorrow. As you can see there is PLENTY of clearance so it is highly unlikely that one would scrape using this combo. :cool:

NEW PICS:

UPDATE!

I apparently had the scoops for the wheels on backwards. No big deal, but a small modification is required. Without modification the scoop will hit the rear bumper when folded up. Only one scoop needs trimming.

Pics of the modification of the scoops.

The passenger side scoop DOES NOT need to be trimmed.

UPDATE ON MILEAGE:

Getting roughly 3.5 miles per kWh

I went all highway yesterday at 65 MPH with the bike rack folded up, and achieved exactly 40 miles on a single charge.

I went all highway today at 65 MPH with 2 bikes on the rack, and got 35 miles on a single charge.

So, in the end, this hitch is by far the way to go if you are planning on hauling bikes, while the roof rack is by far the "coolest" way to haul them around IMO, my method appears to be more efficient which in the end is what really matters.

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks great. Doesn't seem to have a clearance problem to me either.

But can you explain to me your rationale to go with this hitch over the Invisi hitch that Torklift also offers? It's only $25 difference, so your decision can't be all about the price difference, no?

And I wonder if you'd mind sharing what the installation cost is from Stingray, so I get an idea?

#3 ·
I went with this style hitch, due to overall height. If the rack was mounted behind the tag, my bike would catch all sorts of wind, thus dropping the mileage, also I did not want to have a hole behind my tag. I paid for about a 45 minutes of service time. Since the rear bumper does not have to come off it saves a lot of cost as well.

#5 ·
Wouldn't one expect a lithium powered electric bike on that carrier? lol

#6 ·
Looks good! Still on the edge, dont know if Id do a hitch rack or since I already have roof bike rails, get cross bars.... hmm. in the end it seems like it will cost about the same.

#9 ·
I am in the same boat, and the Rhino roof racks look nice. I am going to have to see if their aero cross bars will fit my existing bike rails. I think I would prefer the roof rack, but that is a very nice hitch setup!

#8 ·
With the bikes low like that, what % mileage loss do you see?

I considered the stealth hitch, but with the bike rack installed, I could picture the bottom of the rack tongue extension hitting the pavement when making a sudden transition on a short steep driveway. That looks that is a possibility from your photos. I did get the invisi-hitch and use a Yakima rack. Yes, there is significant aero drag with the bikes hanging high. CD range goes from 40 miles down to about 26 when driving at 65 mph. I'm taking the rack to welding shop to have them cut off about 15" off the rack vertical post to get the bikes back down behind the car. I may take the (bike) wheels off, too, on long trips. They add a lot of drag by themselves.

#11 ·
I considered the stealth hitch, but with the bike rack installed, I could picture the bottom of the rack tongue extension hitting the pavement when making a sudden transition on a short steep driveway. That looks that is a possibility from your photos.
Your front splitter (plastic above the front air dam) would impact the driveway before the rack would ever scrape.

The OP is definitely not going to have a problem with as high as that rack sits. My rack sits much lower and I haven't had a problem yet.

#13 ·
1.25 is the way to go, you should be able to get an adapter if you need a 2 on a diff vehicle.

#16 ·
Mike McG, nice setup there and great pictures too. I am considering a hitch for bike use as well on mine. I have one picture request if possible and that is can you take one in the side view lower with rear tire/fascia/bike rack in view (like only a few inches off the ground) so I can tell what the clearance and angles might be for the bike rack installed relative to the ground? I appreciate that the hitch has cleared ramp angles I just was curious as to how the rack might affect the approach angles as well.

#18 ·
I will get you those pics ASAP.

As for range, I really have not noticed anything negative. I was able to get 46 miles out of EV mode yesterday, however on the highway the seem to have a little more drag. I did re position the bikes to where they are centered more, and I will be going for another drive today to see the difference. I will update the results when I finish. Thanks!

#17 ·
UPDATE!

I apparently had the scoops for the wheels on backwards. No big deal, but a small modification is required. Without modification the scoop will hit the rear bumper when folded up. Only one scoop needs trimming.

Pics of the modification of the scoops.

The passenger side scoop DOES NOT need to be trimmed.

#22 ·
Update on mileage.

Getting roughly 3.5 miles per kWh

I went all highway yesterday at 65 MPH with the bike rack folded up, and achieved exactly 40 miles on a single charge.

I went all highway today at 65 MPH with 2 bikes on the rack, and got 35 miles on a single charge.

So, in the end, this hitch is by far the way to go if you are planning on hauling bikes, while the roof rack is by far the "coolest" way to haul them around IMO, my method appears to be more efficient which in the end is what really matters.

#23 ·
Thanks for the data, a 5 mile loss carrying two bikes is not bad for driving 65mph. I think much of my use would be at lower speeds than that (other than on a trip). So I much appreciated the data points. The low hitch seems to be a good solution as to how best to carry bikes for energy efficiency, besides to be able to take the rack on and off is an easy thing to do as well.

#25 ·
EcoHitch for Chevrolet Volt will not negatively impact ground clearance for either 1.25” or 2” fitments of the hitch. Generally speaking the 2” fitment is more common for trailer hitch accessories. There are receiver adapters available that will allow you to use 1 1/4” hitch accessories with a 2” trailer hitch. You should have plenty of options to choose from at your own preference.

#29 ·
Stealth model too? Also, I've watched the video, but need to find someone to install this if I decide to get one. It looks like the Stealth model requires muffler removal (and fortunately not the fascia). So would a muffler shop be a good bet to ask to do this?

Thanks.

For anyone interested in the EcoHitch, it is $25 off until Sept 28th by using the discount code: DRIVEELECTRIC2014.

#35 ·
Hmmm..since I missed the last two sales, any chance of a new years discount!?

#36 ·
We are not currently offering any sales but we announce all of our upcoming promotions on our social media first. Follow us on Facebook so you don’t miss the next sale! We always offer free shipping on EcoHitch to the lower 48 states with tax included in the price of the hitch.

#38 ·
Still waiting on some kind of sale...
Maybe 4th of July?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.