GM Volt Forum banner

Another problem?!!! Suspicious puddle this morning

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Elemental 
#1 ·
I came back from church this morning and saw this suspicious puddle as I was pulling into my garage. It is directly under the exhaust pipe, and also about a 1.5 feet back from the pipe. I consistently park my car in the same location every time. Automotive tire Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Vehicle

I haven't seen this puddle ever before. It is not from melted ice or snow from the car. We haven't had any snow for the past 2 weeks. The puddle is black, so if it is water, it is dirty water. I think it is just water, probably condensation from the exhaust when I preconditioned the car this morning before leaving for church. It was about 5 degrees F. this morning. I didn't notice the puddle as I got into the car to leave, however, I did smell a slight burnt rubber smell when I got into the car. I assumed it was the normal burnt smell which is caused by a new engine burning off some of the coatings from the manufacturing process. Now I'm not so sure.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

See less See more
#3 ·
That looks like exhaust condensation that in an ICE vehicle pretty much gets burned off but in a Volt the ICE and exhaust seldom operate enough to burn it all out of the ehaust. There is a weep hole the allow all that build up to drip out to help extend the life of the exhaust system.

That's my guess.

#4 ·
Aside from shock absorber fluid or gas, neither of which would leave a stain like that, I would say it is just normal dripping, moisture off the car. It may have been there longer than you think. Look at the salt staining around it. It used to be a bigger puddle then what you are looking at. My guess is that it was a chunk of ice frozen under the car that finally melted enough to fall out from somewhere. Even from the front.

#12 ·
Yes, I already knew about that. Instead, I decided to let it do its thing and not turn off the engine assisted heat; because it seems like the heater is stronger when the engine comes on. I think it works out ok if I'm doing a trip over the amount of my electric range, and the engine is going to come on eventually anyway.

#13 ·
Same thing happened to me when I woke up this morning at the hotel.

Very suspicious puddle in my bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.