GM Volt Forum banner

Why buy a Gen 2 Volt

• Gen 1 owner who wanted the new Volt

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • I'm concerned for the environment.

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • I think the Volt is a fun car, a premium driving experience.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Low operational costs.

Votes: 28 32.2%

Why did you buy a Gen 2 Volt?

14K views 71 replies 36 participants last post by  16Volt 
#1 · (Edited)
Just curious, and the choices might need editing.

What is the #1 reason for your purchase? Yes, I know multiple reasons apply, but what is the most important?

EDIT - DOH! I can't edit the poll.

#52 ·
Picking up a 2016 Siren Red LT next week. I hate buying gas and want to do my part to stick it to those earth destroying carbon producers. Love the ride. While a bit smaller than my current PiP, it should perform people hauling duties competently.

#54 ·
I bought my 2016 Volt because I was spending $250 a month on Gas + maintenance. I leased 36/15,000 for $301 a month.

I could have bought another used econobox to get me by and save me $50-75 a month in gas maybe but my hour plus long commute with the average speed of 20mph. to go 26 miles will wear out the most seasoned commuter. The stop and go traffic is extremely stressful burning out a clutch to slam on your brakes makes me hate where I work. It didn't matter what car you drive until I drove the Volt. Suddenly I can really control those very slow speeds in comfort. It is more than just the savings its the stress relief and no worries that go along with owning a new car. I could have bought a cruze eco but it would have been just another nice commuter car slamming on its brakes every 10 feet. I am confident I made the correct move for my sanity if anything.

#57 ·
Agreed. Thinking a Volt would get him more dudes then a Prius..... He'll find out. But dont be rude to our gay friends.

#58 ·
I bought it for the HOV Sticker. I had a Leaf for 3 years and it made my commute bearable until the battery degradation got to the point that I had to drive too slow to be in the Carpool lane. I gave it up and waited for all of the Gen 2s to come out and compare. It's been a year and a half without carpool and I've come to wits end. I test drove the i3 for three days, but would still have to go to a gas station every day or every other day, I thought about the extended range Leaf, but the styling is dated, I checked out the Ford Fusion Energi, but the electric range and trunk were jokes. So it came to the Volt, test drove it, love it, bought it.

#65 ·
I bought it for the HOV Sticker. I had a Leaf for 3 years and it made my commute bearable until the battery degradation got to the point that I had to drive too slow to be in the Carpool lane. I gave it up and waited for all of the Gen 2s to come out and compare. It's been a year and a half without carpool and I've come to wits end. I test drove the i3 for three days, but would still have to go to a gas station every day or every other day, I thought about the extended range Leaf, but the styling is dated, I checked out the Ford Fusion Energi, but the electric range and trunk were jokes. So it came to the Volt, test drove it, love it, bought it.
Ditto. Gawd, I hope they still have some left when I apply for one. Sucks that we have to wait for permanent plates to apply for it.

#59 ·
Reason # 3 - access to HOV lanes and Toll free bridges in montreal

Reason # 2 - A Green License plate to get preferred parking spots in town

Reason # 1 - 85% of my miles will not contribute to Middle Eastern Oil revenues or global warming and instead profit quebec's clean hydro electricity utility business owned by all quebecers.

#67 ·
#62 ·
Two reasons

1) over the past couple of years I generated an excess of 9MWh with my roof top solar. My electric company will give me a credit, but not a check.. so I have to use that excess somewhere. Hence an electric car

2) I spend 3 days a week away from home and chargers, and clock in ~200 miles, so I need something with a gas engine .. hence the volt and not a pure electric car

Oh, yeah, and it's just really fun

#68 ·
Extremely well stated -- I'm a retired public school (8th grade and high school) science teacher! Science today has been hijacked somewhat by people who put blind faith in the findings of some of the most politically vocal scientists. The term "settled science" makes me sick! That implies a political agreement of sorts! Science should be thoroughly and continually reviewed, debated, updated -- and contrarian views welcomed! Much of what passes for "science" today is not directly measurable by the "scientific method" but is instead a bed of assumptions based on more assumptions -- highly debatable. Much of this is not fact-based, but interpretation-based. All that being said, it makes sense that spewing this much soot and other by-products in the air long-term is not good with a burgeoning world population. We need cleaner alternatives long-term, and the Volt is a great intermediate step in that direction: doing what is reasonable today! I am seriously thinking about a 2016 Volt and solar panels on my roof.

#70 ·
Just replying so this gets to the top so more people have a chance to read this! In fact, its going to be my Signature!

Bravo sir, Bravo! This is exactly how I feel, I just couldnt get the words right!

#71 ·
Concerning the motivation of low operating costs, I attempted to compare an apple to an apple, similar vehicle models with different propulsion systems.Anyone attempting to calculate a lifetime cost comparison of various models of vehicle should look at the Department of Energy site. I compared costs for 2015 Chevy Cruze; 2015 Chevy Volt; 2014 Chevy Volt; 2012 Chevy Volt. The outcome for a fifty-mile-a-day driver, five days a week, with $3.00 per gallon gasoline concluded that the 2015 Cruze and Volt lifetime costs meet at 10 years, with $7,000 in savings for the 2012 Volt. After 10 years, all of the Volt vehicles are lower in cost than the Cruze. Obviously, future gasoline and electricity costs may deviate from the assumptions that I made. However, the Volt has a superior trait for generating far less carbon and other atmospheric pollutants than the Cruze. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/calc/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.