GM Volt Forum banner

Where do software updates fall in the warranty?

9K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Desert Volt 
#1 ·
Just curious when software updates stop being covered under warranty and start coming out of an owner's wallet.

Dealer told me it depends if there's a recall or tsb. But when I had my Silverado, it needed an ecm reflash. I was almost at 100,000 miles and although there was something in the system(don't remember if it was a tsb, wasn't a recall) dealer still charged me. They didn't enter it as warranty. I had someone run my vin to check.

So, when do they start costing? Is it a set rate, min charge? Or based on whatever the dealer wants?

#4 ·
I've had one software update that I was charged for. This was after the bumper to bumper expired. But after that I had another software update that was free apparently because it was related to the battery system which is still covered.

So I think you get charged for the software updates when the update is to something out of warranty or that's as much sense as I can make of what I've experienced.

#5 ·
#8 ·
When I last got my tires rotated at the dealer they also did the inverter SW update for free. As the dealer explained the SW update, its not for a specific item. They load the latest release for the model year which includes the specific item and and other SW updates in that release and prior. I asked what else was in the inverter SW update and he did not know, he just knew it addressed the inveter issue but probably included other minor updates as well. He also indicated that when they service Volts (i.e. tire rotation) they apply any new release as standard practice.

My point about the releases being that if the dealer is explaining this correctly software updates are not just for a spcific item which may or may not be under a part of the warranty, rather you get the whole new vesion. To put this in terms of cell phones and PCs and my interpretation, your device may come with vesion 4.1, but over time you get automatic free minor upgrade releases (4.2, 4.3, etc.). These generally fix bugs. But to go to a major release (i.e. 5.1), which would included new functionality, either it can't be done because the device is old or you would pay for the major release. In the case of the Volt, my expectation is that minor version up dates will always be free, but there is a point in time that they will stop doing these for older models and you will stay at a the last minor release unless there is a recall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.