Volt acts like an electromagnet
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Volt acts like an electromagnet

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Default Volt acts like an electromagnet

I've driven full sized vehicles as listed below and never hit anything, but for some reason my Volt seems to attract flying road debris, sides of garage door openings, and even stop signs. I've already had two trips to the body shop. I would think the smaller car would be easier to maneuver, and less likely to hit or get hit.

Or maybe it's just me getting old and driving more and more like a grandpa. The giant A and B pillars don't help, plus the mental state of trying to hypermile does admittedly cause me to coast through stops and avoid braking as much as possible. The last driver side door scratch though was something that flew up from the road... Hope this is just bad luck and doesn't continue for the life of the car. I'm tempted to plasti dip the whole thing to help protect the paint.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    Or maybe it's just me getting old and driving more and more like a grandpa. ..., plus the mental state of trying to hypermile does admittedly cause me to coast through stops and avoid braking as much as possible. The ....
    Relax!, enjoy your volt: plug it in when you can, drive it when you want to. Stop worrying about efficiency and drive it like a car, all the dozens of microprocessers in the car will figure out how to make it efficient. you don't need to worry about it... The difference between driving normally and driving like a looney toon character chasing efficiency is about 5 miles of electric range- - 1/5 gallon of gasoline- 60 cents--- stop worrying.....

better yet. Drive it like you stole it- hard on the accelerator, hard on the brake pedal- let the car do its job!!!

Oh and raise the seat until your head is close to the head liner and make it as upright as you can stand, that will improve your sense of how close you are to nearby objects- which you the driver are really the magnet to...
    Last edited by Paulacton84; 02-17-2014 at 09:09 AM.

I can hear you, ILNinja! I have scared the dickens out of a guy riding a scooter and a pedestrian over the past 8 months. They were both ahead and to my left and fit right behind the A Pillar. I spotted them as soon as I started to turn towards them but it did make me start a bit. Between the drivers side A Pillar and the B Pillar, GM has built a car with slightly larger than normal blind spots (in order to get the 5 star safety award, I would guess).
    It isn't horrible but I hope they get a bit smaller on the Gen II.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Paulacton84 View Post
    Relax!, enjoy your volt: plug it in when you can, drive it when you want to. Stop worrying about efficiency and drive it like a car, all the dozens of microprocessers in the car will figure out how to make it efficient. you don't need to worry about it... The difference between driving normally and driving like a looney toon character chasing efficiency is about 5 miles of electric range- - 1/5 gallon of gasoline- 60 cents--- stop worrying.....

better yet. Drive it like you stole it- hard on the accelerator, hard on the brake pedal- let the car do its job!!!

Oh and raise the seat until your head is close to the head liner and make it as upright as you can stand, that will improve your sense of how close you are to nearby objects- which you the driver are really the magnet to...
    I'm 6'3" tall, so my head is already close to the headliner and really cannot raise the seat much. I do find that the rear view mirror doesn't work well for tall people as the console in front of it covers the top half inch or so. I know it articulates down, but for some reason when you move the mirror down, the angle on the other side of the articulating ball won't allow me to move the mirror to the correct angle.

Yes, the first month of driving, I was a maniac at hypermiling and since then I have toned that way down. But I do drive 50 MPH on country roads when I used to go 70+ as the fuel/range savings by just slowing down is pretty significant.

"what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?

Quote Originally Posted by Upper5Percent View Post

ZOLTAN...
    Love it, much better than Plastidip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
    I can hear you, ILNinja! I have scared the dickens out of a guy riding a scooter and a pedestrian over the past 8 months. They were both ahead and to my left and fit right behind the A Pillar. I spotted them as soon as I started to turn towards them but it did make me start a bit. Between the drivers side A Pillar and the B Pillar, GM has built a car with slightly larger than normal blind spots (in order to get the 5 star safety award, I would guess).
    It isn't horrible but I hope they get a bit smaller on the Gen II.
    Plus the fact that pedestrians don't hear us coming in EV mode.

I'm 6'3" tall, so my head is already close to the headliner and really cannot raise the seat much. I do find that the rear view mirror doesn't work well for tall people as the console in front of it covers the top half inch or so.....
    I'm 6'4" so I know what it's like to be all the way back and seat down. But I do sit with the seat bolt upright to improve my view around the A pillars. The mirror is lacking, I find that I adjust it to see above the spoiler only and still bob my head from side to side to see what I can see of the lanes behind me on the highway. and I'm much rather have a flip lever night mirror than an auto-dim one, but maybe that is just me. I'd rather they spent the "auto dim" money on the drivers side mirror., which is headlight high on most SUV's and crossovers, all of which seem to be driven by people who don't understand highbeam courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulacton84 View Post
    I'm 6'4" so I know what it's like to be all the way back and seat down. But I do sit with the seat bolt upright to improve my view around the A pillars. The mirror is lacking, I find that I adjust it to see above the spoiler only and still bob my head from side to side to see what I can see of the lanes behind me on the highway. and I'm much rather have a flip lever night mirror than an auto-dim one, but maybe that is just me. I'd rather they spent the "auto dim" money on the drivers side mirror., which is headlight high on most SUV's and crossovers, all of which seem to be driven by people who don't understand highbeam courtesy.
    Haha, or maybe we're just so low to the ground that everyone appears to have highbeams on. One of my other cars is a Subaru Crosstrek which is effectively an Impreza with a 3" lift kit. I wonder if anyone has tried to lift a Volt? It might hurt range with all that air flow below the vehicle, but it would certainly help visibility around all these trucks, SUVs, and crossovers.

I've driven full sized vehicles as listed below and never hit anything, but for some reason my Volt seems to attract flying road debris, sides of garage door openings, and even stop signs. I've already had two trips to the body shop. I would think the smaller car would be easier to maneuver, and less likely to hit or get hit.
    Tell me about it.. One Peugeot and one pluw truck have already been sucked into my Volt :/
    Chevrolet Volt 2012 - average: 2.3l/100km (102mpg) / 43,000 miles
    VW Touran 1.9 TDI DSG - average: 5.6l/100km (42mpg) / 136,000 miles
    Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 V6 - average: 12.0l/100km (19mpg) / 27000 miles

12. Advertisement

Plus the fact that pedestrians don't hear us coming in EV mode.
    That's what the horn chirp is for. Or, mount some deer whistles on your fenders.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size