The misunderstood Volt!!
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: The misunderstood Volt!!

Default The misunderstood Volt!!

Have the 2014 Volt for about 3 weeks now and get lots of questions from my clients who arrive at my office. Some of my favorites are: 1..Gee, don't you have to go to some sort of special charging station at the dealership to get recharged? 2. You can't go more than 50 mph, can you? 3. Don't you think that you could run out of charge and be left stranded? Well, I pause and take a deep breath and explain how the car actually works and they are very very surprised. I guess the Volt is not a vehicle for everyone, but I think GM could have done a much better job of marketing and advertising the Volts appealing features and driving impressions. If more are not sold and I really do not see many in my state of Florida, I am not sure what the future is for the Volt. But, at this time, I am very pleased with the car and no buyer remorse.

You are finding out what we have been saying here for years!

GM management does not understand what a jewel the designers, engineers, and assembly people have created with this car!!!

We get those kind of questions all the time.

Wait till you start to take some people for a ride in your new Volt. Then they are REALLY impressed!

Enjoy your car. I still smile every time I get into mine. And it is over 28 months old now.....

C-5277

The number one misconception has got to be that the Volt is a pure electric vehicle. People accept a car that runs either on electricity or gasoline without a second thought, but a car that can run on both takes some explaining.

GM just released an ad that attempts to explain why running out electricity will not leave you stranded, in a scorching desert full of snakes no less.
    2013 Crystal Red with Pebble Beige - 08 Grand Caravan - 01 Ram 1500 5.9L - Volt Stats - Fuelly

Advertisement

Who wants to buy a car that's 36k that could only go 40 miles?

Yep, be ready for all the uninformed questions on your Volt. I already take a deep breath with the most common leading question, "How many miles can you go on a full charge?"
    I never thought I would own a Gen 1 Volt!
    Volt Baptismal Date: 12/10/12
    2013 Cyber Grey Metallic - ESP1, Comfort Package

Logged 10,000 miles on 10/10/13: 8923 EV miles; Gas used: 35.3 gallons; 89% electric

Six people in my office asked me "so what are you driving in these awful snowstorms?" and then give a surprised "really??" when I say that the Volt actually works in snow. These are college educated professionals.

Aside from the usual questions about how a Volt operates be prepared for the so called "environmentalists" that will tell you how inefficient the car is to build and how it's carbon footprint isn't any better than an ICE vehicle. So of those folks just can't be reasoned with.

So just enjoy your Volt.
    Tom
    USAF Retired
    My garage
    2014 Lime Rock Green Stingray
    2013 Cyber Gray Volt
    Best EV Range 54.x miles (more than once)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperRT10Matt View Post
    Six people in my office asked me "so what are you driving in these awful snowstorms?" and then give a surprised "really??" when I say that the Volt actually works in snow. These are college educated professionals.

I'm shocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by flmark View Post
    My experience has led me to conclude that if someone doesn't like dogs, I end up unable to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by BAZINGA View Post
    Aside from the usual questions about how a Volt operates be prepared for the so called "environmentalists" that will tell you how inefficient the car is to build and how it's carbon footprint isn't any better than an ICE vehicle. So of those folks just can't be reasoned with.

So just enjoy your Volt.
    And I just take my picture of my 72 solar panels out and say to them "Please reassess your opinion." Then I mumble idiot under my breath.
    Diamond White #B2140 ecosister plate=SLRRYDER
    Crystal Red #C8885, Red-Rider plate=NO2OPEC
    Only 50 gallons purchased, fully charged off Solar , Keeping the utilities at bay.
    DRIVING for FREE! NO OPEC FEE!

My TED 5000 power monitoring

Advertisement

My simplest explanation is:
    "It costs about a Buck 20 in electricity to go the first 30-40 miles, then it turns into a 40 mpg Prius.
    Haven't bought gas in a long time!"
    Last edited by Norton; 02-14-2014 at 10:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text