I'm sorry, but I'm leaving you.
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: I'm sorry, but I'm leaving you.

Default I'm sorry, but I'm leaving you.

Its been a busy month for me. Since my Volt lease is just a payment from expiration, I had placed a deposit on a BMW i3 about 4 months ago and finally got the allocation phone call, so I preceded try to make a lease deal with the BWM salesmen. Well, that's about as far as we got. In short, for 3 years, they want $830/month with $4500 down for 10k/year miles. Yeah Right!!!!! Its a joke, the residual is almost 50% less then value of car. I'm supposed to pay top dollar because its a BMW, yet its only worth 22k in 3 years??? I could get another volt of course. I love the volt, brag about the volt, support the volt, made many youtube videos about the volt that have been posted here. That said, I feel like a new volt is the same as it was 3 years ago and I don't want to go another 3 years of Volt 1.0 . BTW Where is Volt 2.0? I also need to go a little larger, Volt 1.0 is a little tight and getting worse with kids getting bigger. Surprising, the BMW i3 was smaller on the outside, but truly much bigger on the inside. Car is very cool, it would have been great.…

(to save typing I've cut and pasted from BMW FB blog I belong to)
    So after two weeks of investigation…..I'm purchasing a Ford Fusion Energi Titanium. Yes, its only rated at 21 miles on pure EV but it does get 43 MPG in all gas mode. Its also loaded to the hilt. Everything under the sun, including auto parking, blind spot radar, cruise control "radar", heated everything, Navigation, leather, the list goes on and on. I have every option. It is also very large and very sharp looking. I'd argue the best looking PHEV out there. MSRP is 45K.

Since I've owned an EV for 3 years, I think the 21 mile rating may work better than some may think. I drive about 8k miles per year. 90% of the time, I think I drive less then 20 miles per day, but when I don't, I either come back to the house and charge or I blow the norm out of the water. Meaning, if I'm not local, I'm off to NYC and I'm putting 90 mile round trips. I'm also driving at 70 plus MPH. Therefore, I think my rated 43MPG gas car (yes it will be less because of speed) will be pretty good and maybe better than volt. The car is large too. I can put 5 people in it without a problem. Volt was small with only 4. Back seat was really for kids. I pondered several other EVs, the focus being one of them, but I can not risk a non REX vehicle. So, I think this is going to be my car, the only issue for some can be the very small trunk (thats where the battery is located). For me, the wife and kids will use our Toyota Highlander hybrid for long luggage trips.

So here is the best part… LEASE OFFER New left over 2013, 0 down, 3 year, $433/month or New 2014, zero down, 3 years 487/month. That said, how can I say no to Ford?

Attached Images

Heretic! Unbeliever!

LOL! I am 2 years out from the end of my lease, but if I was in your shoes I would do exactly the same thing. I love my Volt, but it is simply too small for business and I leased it knowing that so I don't complain. (Too much, anyway)
    But I do post here mentioning that, in large part because I know GM people read this site. They aren't going to build an EREV Impala just because I ask for one, but they do note how many people are calling for a larger EREV vehicle, whether it be a mid-sized car or a crossover.

And the Ford Fusion Energi looks very, very nice! But I really think the Gen II Volt will come out next year or early in 2016, giving me plenty of time since my lease doesn't end until May of 2016.

Please keep us updated on your experience with it. I was just looking at the Fusion Energi today and it seems like a good choice.
    Black 2012, C7905, purchased 22-Nov-2012

Advertisement

I think you guys also need to consider the Honda Accord hybrid. It gives you 47 and 50 miles to the gallon.

Ian B
    Last edited by MrIanB; 02-10-2014 at 09:21 PM.
    Gas stations are like dinosaurs, electric is the future, wake up!!

2011 Nissan Leaf SL, 5,051 miles
    2013 Chevy Volt Blue Topaz premium package

Quote Originally Posted by the43k View Post
    So after two weeks of investigation…..I'm purchasing a Ford Fusion Energi Titanium.
    Seems like a well reasoned choice, the43k. I DO hope you test drove the car before buying it.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 51,445 miles, 156 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 67%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1375 miles, 250
    MPG, 96% Electric, 3% gas, Saved 61 gal., 26 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

I did.. its very luxurious and comfortable. It does not have the long term power like the volt, actually, if you leave it in Auto mode, the gas engine will come on for similar power, however if you leave it in EV now mode (only EV until batt dead), which is what I will do, its fine until you "get on it" and then you'll find your "**** out of luck" .. But the truth be said, most EV minded people aren't looking to put the pedal to the floor. If by chance you have an emergency situation, you can override quickly back to Auto and gas/ev.

Congratulations on your choice. I work with a guy that has a Fusion, and I have been very impressed with the quality of the interior. I'm certain you will love the car.

Don't be afraid to keep posting here; many of us will be interested in your Titanium experience.
    2012 / Silver Ice Metallic / Neutral Leather / Navigation / Bose / Hard Drive / Rear Camera / Park Assist / OnStar service / Sirius satellite radio / Polished Forged Wheels / Volt All Weather Rubber Floor Mats and Cargo Mat / Dual Cargo Nets / Volt Door Sill Plates / Battery Enhancement / StopSafe ECU (rear end accident avoidance system) / Diamond Gloss polymeric resin / Ziebart front bumper and hood paint protection film / XPel Door Edge and Doorsill Guards /
    James McQuaid

Quote Originally Posted by the43k View Post
    Its been a busy month for me. Since my Volt lease is just a payment from expiration, I had placed a deposit on a BMW i3 about 4 months ago and finally got the allocation phone call, so I preceded try to make a lease deal with the BWM salesmen. Well, that's about as far as we got. In short, for 3 years, they want $830/month with $4500 down for 10k/year miles. Yeah Right!!!!! Its a joke, the residual is almost 50% less then value of car. I'm supposed to pay top dollar because its a BMW, yet its only worth 22k in 3 years???
    I'm sure there are many who have managed to endure the BMW acquisition experience, and the cars themselves are great (although the i3 is far away from my personal tastes), but every time I've gone to consider a BMW the salesperson ends up pissing me off. I've found them to be obnoxious and give off a "you'll be lucky if we sell you our car" vibe.

I think you've also experienced why you should never go for a newly launching car with a (in this case, possibly false) high demand. Reality will likely cool BMW's enthusiasm for ripping people off (like not passing on the full tax credit value in the lease).

I'm still waiting for them to take the obvious next step - MK Z Energi - which might be in the running for my next car eventually - if I resist the urge for a used model S, of course. Good luck with your Ford.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

Advertisement

I agree with the others that the Fusion makes more sense for you. My only question is about the stated MPG. The EPA claimed 47 MPG for the Fushion hybrid, but Consumer Reports could only get 39. I'm wondering if there is a similar discrepancy for the Energi model. Is there a way for you to make sure that the stated MPG for the Fusion Energi is what people are actually experiencing? Maybe go on their discussion board and see what people are saying?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast