What is it like to own an ELR?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: What is it like to own an ELR?

I fell in love with the new Cadillac style when the first CTS hit the show rooms. My only problem with the CTS was the near $40K price tag of the optioned models on the lot. Two years later I bought a brand new almost base 2004 in March 2005 for $23K ($10K off the MSRP). It was a combo of being one of the few people on the planet who prefers a manual transmission and a desperate car manufacturer and dealer trying to get rid of last years inventory. About 10 years later I did this again getting a $44K MSRP volt for about $22K once all the rebates and tax credits hit. When the volt first came out I thought it was overpriced. The $5K price cut for 2014 has really helped.

I have my eyes on a new ELR, but I will definitely wait until March 2015 to see if there are any deals to be had on 2014 models. Absolutely love the looks just wish I was filthy rich enough to afford one. From a looks standpoint, my humble opinion is that the ELR is much better looking than a tesla.

I would love to see a Caddy make a 4 door ELR similar to the ATS or CTS as well as a crossover ELR like an SRX.
    Last edited by llninja; 02-11-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    LLninja

2013 White Diamond Tricoat with silver turquoise chameleon dipped grille
    2004 CTS with rare 5 speed manual transmission

...and way too many ICE vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by SaltLakeVoltOwner View Post
    Money is just money, but a car is a life-style.

A car is a appliance. Like a Stove, Washing Machine, Phone, Etc. It's a machine designed to do a job.

Money is personal freedom. The more you have of it the more choices you can make. Buffet said when you have lots of money, what you are buying is time. Time to do what you want because you can pay someone to do what you don't want to.

Money allows you to live in a safe area, wear new clothes, eat healthy and so on. Money allows you to help the less fortunate if you choose, Or selfishly hoard it. Money is the freedom of choice. Money allows you to buy a $70,000 car without a second thought. The lack of money gets you an Aveo at Petes Buy here Pay here Fine Used Cars.

Money my friend, is the lifestyle. A car is metal, glass and plastic.

If your friends judge you based on your car, your friends are snobs.

I always thought of my Pontiac Grand Am as a transportation appliance. But Blastphemy tells how his car attracts women. That's a lifestyle change. I know an ELR would change my lifestyle. Books have been written about money. It depends on how you want to use it. Few people have the freedom you're talking about, Elemental. Most can only chose what they want to be chained to.

Advertisement

I see you're point, and on the surface it can be argued. But when you look deeper how does a $100,000 car do it's core job better than a Grand Am. The core job of the machine is to transport you along the same roads. Other then HOV lanes in some states, youre on the same road at the same speed. The ELR does the same core job as a Aveo.

Of course, the ELR is sexier, but thats programmed into us. It's more comfortable of course, so you do get what you pay for. I drove a 2000 Kia for years. It did what I needed it to do in a cost effective manner. I bought the volt based on lifetime operating costs and weighed that against the added luxuries it provided. I didn't buy it to make a statement or attract women.

I would love a ELR, and the changes in lifestyle it brings....But the car isn't the lifestyle. The programmed repsonse by vane women is the change.

Not sure that got across how I wanted it to.
    Last edited by Elemental; 02-11-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flmark View Post
    My experience has led me to conclude that if someone doesn't like dogs, I end up unable to like them.

Was charging my Volt at a Chevy dealership and was talking to a senior salesman. Apparently he had a Volt for a few years and traded it in for CTS in recent months, he missed the Volt the first time he went to the gas station...

I asked him if he wanted to go Cadillac why not the ELR? He said it was not yet out and did not anticipate the unpleasantness of going back to gas. He had serious buyers remorse... He wished he waited for the ELR...

Once you go electric, driving a ICE car is like driving a stream engine - dirty and expensive to run and maintain.

Reminds me of 'Anthony's Song' by Billy Joel - "oh hes trading in his Chevy for a Cadillac-ac-ac"
    2013 Blue Chevy Volt
    1990 Red Mera
    1981 Silver Delorean DMC-12

But I can understand the desire for and decision to spend a lot more for a Cadillac with all the 'bells and whistles'. If you make enough money that the $79k is not a big deal and can enjoy what the ELR has to offer - go for it...

For $79k I would get a 60kwh Model S.

But if money was no object, I might get an ELR (yeah would keep the Volt for a run around car and for sentimental reasons) but the main local car would be a Roadster and main distance car would be a Model S, I would electrify and freshen up the interiors of the Mera and Delorean for 'fun' cars. The ELR would be a nice ride for a roadtrip beyond supercharger coverage, I really like the styling.
    Last edited by SFLVoltOwner; 02-11-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
    2013 Blue Chevy Volt
    1990 Red Mera

Quote Originally Posted by SFLVoltOwner View Post
    For $79k I would get a 60kwh Model S.
    For $79k you'd be able to have the base model plus about $7,750 in extra packages.

For example, you could get the Tech Package, Parking Sensors, Fog Lamps, Extended Nappa Leather Trim, and Premium Interior Lighting. But for $79k you're not going to get Parking Sensors, the Ultra High Fidelity Sound System, Alcantara Headliner, Subzero Weather Package, Smart Air Suspension, etc.

My Model S config would only have the pano roof and paint package, standard suspension and 19in wheels.

I do not like the active suspension, I have friends that pay a few k to fix them only after a few years in their Mercedes S Classes. I am not into big ghetto wheels, 19in tires are cheaper to replace. I do not like leather interior as do not eat meat, not a psycho about it so not going to tell you not to get it, but I do not like animal skin stuff, kind of macabre for me... The parking sensors might be nice but I am not used to having them so would not miss them. The base model sound system is ok for me as I am not a true audiophile. I avoid driving north of I-4 in the winter so the weather package would not get used much, most of the year I just ride around with the windows down and only use AC when is over 85 degrees and no sea breeze (coastal FL is much nicer than steamy inland places like Orlando).
    2013 Blue Chevy Volt
    1990 Red Mera

I was just pointing out that to get a Model S with what the ELR already has, it would cost more than $79k. (But the counter-argument is that the ELR will never have 0-60 in 5.4 secs or be able to sit 5, not matter how much money yous got!)

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    I was just pointing out that to get a Model S with what the ELR already has, it would cost more than $79k. (But the counter-argument is that the ELR will never have 0-60 in 5.4 secs or be able to sit 5, not matter how much money yous got!)
    For my current commute, I'd take the ELR over the Tesla. It just looks cooler and I only need a two seater to get my daughter to school. Alas, I'm going to have to wait and save my pennies. Unlike most people who are leasing, I took a leap of faith and bought my Volt.
    LLninja

2013 White Diamond Tricoat with silver turquoise chameleon dipped grille
    2004 CTS with rare 5 speed manual transmission

...and way too many ICE vehicles

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3