What is it like to own an ELR?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: What is it like to own an ELR?

Default What is it like to own an ELR?

So, Blastphemy (or any other owner), let's cut right to the chase. What is it like to own an ELR? At stoplights, do people stare? Do BMW owners steal furtive, envious glances at it? When you go the grocery store do people gather around and try to touch it? Does anybody even know what it is? Do people even notice it?

When I see an ELR, I think, there goes a guy with more money than brains. Nice car but really? Could have had 2 Volts or one and a whole lot of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by rickkop View Post
    When I see an ELR, I think, there goes a guy with more money than brains. Nice car but really? Could have had 2 Volts or one and a whole lot of cash.
    Curious, have you seen one around Syracuse? I haven't.

There's probably many people who think that about Volt owners too though... "Nice car but really? Could have had 2 Cruzes or one and a whole lot of cash"

It's all relative, and each vehicle serves a market.

The Cadillac ELR ad on InsideEV's today cracks me up, I think it's well done. Really, it could've been any product in the ad, but I liked it.
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Leaf Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Commercial Level 1 Charging Station
    Volt/Spark/ELR Charging Reference Magnet

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic - Love the blue!

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

Advertisement

I would have thought that until I see that GM / dealers are already putting aggressive lease packages together.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltLakeVoltOwner View Post
    So, Blastphemy (or any other owner), let's cut right to the chase. What is it like to own an ELR? At stoplights, do people stare? Do BMW owners steal furtive, envious glances at it? When you go the grocery store do people gather around and try to touch it? Does anybody even know what it is? Do people even notice it?
    Let me tell you, it's a very different experience from parking my Volt somewhere. When I'd park my Volt in a parking lot, on the street, in my driveway, etc. I'd occasionally have someone approach me and ask about it. ("Hey, is that an electric car? How does it work?")

But when I park my ELR in my driveway, neighbors come over and ring my doorbell to ask about it; when I park on the street, there's usually 2 or 3 people gathered around it when I come back from my errand; and when I park on a parking lot, it's very difficult to leave since cars keep stopping behind me (while I'm trying to back out) to gaze at it. I've had more women come up to me in just this past week to ogle the car and start a conversation with me than ever spoke to me in four years of college! And my wife is standing right there laughing her ass off at all the cougars who don't even notice her. I gotta see if my wife will let me park this baby at a strip club! lol!!

As for driving, that's also a very different experience from the Volt. I don't even know why Cadillac bothered to include Sport mode since Touring feels every bit as responsive as the Volt's Sport mode. I think Sport just tightens up the suspension and steering a bit, and perhaps adds a bit more zip to the accelerator pedal's algorithm...but it's a lot more subtle than in the Volt.

Everything from how refined the ELR's deceleration is in 'L' to the quieter cabin to the improved sound system just makes every drive a pleasure. And when I transition to Extended Range mode, I usually don't even notice unless I'm going up a steep hill or matching speed with other drivers on the highway (where the 'speed limit' is considered a lower limit out here in Los Angeles - far different from the rural areas in which I grew up where cops would ticket for 2mph over the limit).

The regen paddles are very useful, and when I took out my Volt yesterday for a quick errand I really missed them (already!). I do quibble with how the regen paddles are implemented, but I'll get used to the deceleration curve eventually. The paddles really should have been made pressure sensitive, so pressing them hard would decelerate the car more aggressively while pressing gently would mimic driving in 'L' (or even less). With the current on/off programming, you have to keep pressing and letting go since they start off weak then get very strong, but there's no middle ground. That pressing-releasing creates a throbbing deceleration instead of consistent, smooth slowing, which could easily cause car sickness in those who are susceptible to it.

I agree with reviewers who complain that the C.U.E. system needs some work (it can be very sluggish at times, and the steering wheel selector can't be used to navigate items on the main nav screen); it's annoying that the CTS, ATS, Volt, Spark, Equinox, etc. all come with Siri Eyes Free but the ELR doesn't; and GM neglected to include a copy of the C.U.E. Infotainment manual with the car; but those problems do not overshadow my enjoyment of the car.

As for distance, I'm getting about the same as I did in my 2012 Volt, about 33-39 miles per charge; but I'm using 12.0 - 12.3 kWh of the battery to do it.

When I see an ELR, I think, there goes a guy with more money than brains.
    Hey! I resemble that remark! lol.

I felt that way too, rickkop, until I drove the ELR for a week. You have no idea how much better this car is than the Volt. At the price I leased it, the ELR is definitely worth it. It's a shame Cadillac didn't leave out some superfluous things to get the price down so more people would buy it, but then I couldn't tell you what those superfluous things are (except, perhaps, the motorized cup holder cover).

I probably should have waited six months or so before grabbing the ELR, but...well, I couldn't!

Last edited by Blastphemy; 02-10-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: stoopid tipoes

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    I've had more women come up to me in just this past week to ogle the car and start a conversation with me than ever spoke to me in four years of college!
    Money shot! I might have to give this car a second look. This should be able to help me overlook the non heated/cooled cupholders.

Hey Blastphemy, is there an energy display screen on the Cadillac just like the newer model year Volts? (i.e. instantaneous kW to/from battery)

If so, can you confirm if the full power of the electric motor isn't realized until around 25mph? That's how it is on the Volt, and because of this software limitation, the 0-60 time is severely (and sadly, artificially) limited. I suspect the same thing for the Cadillac but haven't driven one myself.

They should've did away with the majority of that limiting for an increased acceleration time.
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Leaf Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Commercial Level 1 Charging Station
    Volt/Spark/ELR Charging Reference Magnet

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic - Love the blue!

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

See pages 7-9 of the ELR Convenience/Personalization Guide for what the energy screens look like. You can also see pages 5-27 to 5-30 and 5-38 of the ELR Owner's Manual. Based on those screens, I don't think I can confirm when the full power of the electric motor is realized, unfortunately.

The ELR doesn't go any faster than the Volt 0-60. I confirmed that with my 2012 Volt and 2014 ELR; both are about 0-60 in 9 seconds.

I think the ELR feels faster than the Volt because 'Touring' in the ELR is more like 'Sport' in the Volt. But the ELR also has a much more refined ride, which contributes to the feel of the acceleration.

EDIT: The very first screen on page 7 of the Convenience/Personalization Guide does indeed show an instantaneous kW meter. I've watched that grabbing electrons when decelerating, but haven't paid any attention when accelerating. I'll try to notice when full power kicks in on my drive home.
    Last edited by Blastphemy; 02-10-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: correction

Another CTS coupe.
    2012- Crystal Red Tintcoat
    "WATT GA5"
    EVSE- Eaton L2 (16-amp)

Advertisement

It's like a Volt with a much more quiet interior, better seats and superior handling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text