Chevy Volt SERVICE Manual
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Volt SERVICE Manual

Default Chevy Volt SERVICE Manual

Has anyone purchased the service manual from Helm Inc. for the Volt yet?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2011 Chevrolet Volt Service Manual Set
    Price: $150.00
    In Stock
    Pkg Qty: 1
    Media: Paper
    Language: English
    Item/Part #: GMP11R

Contains Factory Authorized Service information written by General Motors. It contains Diagnostic Information and Procedures, Schematics and Routing Diagrams, Component Locator, Repair Instructions, Description and Operation, Specifications, and Special Tools and equipment. Service information on HVAC, Body & Accessories, Restraints, Steering, Suspension, Driveline/Axle, Brakes, Engine and Transmission/Transaxle.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...11R&itemtype=N

Yes, I purchased it. Pretty good, but also a bit hard to get oriented. Once you are in the right area it is fairly detailed and quite interesting. Consists of three very large books.

Cool! How about OBDII codes. Does it cover that?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by techtom View Post
    I don't have it (yet, at least), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. However, I've been working on deciphering the 'background' OBD2 codes (the ones that are sent by the car without being requested by a scan tool), and there is an incredible amount of information there (speed, battery SOC, latitude/longitude, elevation, accelerator/brake pedal position, etc.).
    B-2689
    Personal Best Charge: 57.2 miles
    Best Day: 71.3 miles, no gas (49.9 on full charge, 21.4 on ~4 hours @120V)
    Over 4 billion pieces of data collected on the Volt OBD2 port

Quote Originally Posted by techtom View Post
    Do do you mean PID coding of the routine traffic on the OBD bus (which is what RScott is talking about), or information on Volt DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? I would very much doubt it has information on how to decipher the traffic on the OBD bus (GM is more than happy to lease you software that knows that information so it can decode it for you). I would very much hope that it has information on DTCs, what they mean, and what to do about them.

Can anyone with a manual comment on the depth of DTC information in it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Do do you mean PID coding of the routine traffic on the OBD bus (which is what RScott is talking about), or information on Volt DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? I would very much doubt it has information on how to decipher the traffic on the OBD bus (GM is more than happy to lease you software that knows that information so it can decode it for you). I would very much hope that it has information on DTCs, what they mean, and what to do about them.

Can anyone with a manual comment on the depth of DTC information in it?
    It will essentially be the same as the web based version used by the dealerships. However I can see it being a bit convoluted and difficult to use as the web version relies heavily on embedded links to other documents. I'm not sure if I would have the patience to use paper manuals again! (and I know I dont have the time!)

But the DTC pages will generally include compete DTC info neccessary for diagnosis, including detailed DTC decription, enable & fail criteria, diagnostic aids, associated schematic, and detailed step-by-step diagnostic routines

But you are correct as there's no detailed raw CAN bus or PID identification data but there is fairly detailed definitions of all PIDs (those available via GDS2) and tables of "normal" values under certain service bay conditions.

Below is a PDF file of a sypical DTC document on the Volt (P0D5E) Note al of the blue "links" to other gSI documents

WOT
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 11-03-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    Follow the Chevy Volt on Twitter! @WopOnTour

Quote Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
    You are correct as there's no detailed CAN bus (GMLAN) or PID info but there is fairly detailed definitions of all PIDs (those available via GDS2) and tables of "normal" values under certain service bay conditions.
    OK, I'm sure if I had the manuals in front of me that would make sense. The way I sub-parse what you said is "There's no PID info but there is detailed definitions of PIDs". And in that parsing the second clause seems to be a complete contradiction of the first clause. So that makes no sense to me.

Does it actually have a table of ECU/PID definitions of those signals available via GDS2? I would think that would help RScott's CAN snooping! Not really knowing what GDS2 really is, does it list GDS2 defined PIDs, but omit non-GDS2 defined (and more proprietary) PIDs? That'd still help snooping around... Or does it define the PID contents without defining the PID ordinal values? That'd still be of great assistance, although it would require a lot more pattern matching...

Blog Entries

OK, I'm sure if I had the manuals in front of me that would make sense. The way I sub-parse what you said is "There's no PID info but there is detailed definitions of PIDs". And in that parsing the second clause seems to be a complete contradiction of the first clause. So that makes no sense to me.

Does it actually have a table of ECU/PID definitions of those signals available via GDS2? I would think that would help RScott's CAN snooping! Not really knowing what GDS2 really is, does it list GDS2 defined PIDs, but omit non-GDS2 defined (and more proprietary) PIDs? That'd still help snooping around... Or does it define the PID contents without defining the PID ordinal values? That'd still be of great assistance, although it would require a lot more pattern matching...
    haha yea OK. What I meant was the PIDs CAN ID (location or offset values) are not defined in gSI, but a plain english definition of what the GDS2 displayed PID data is actually representing is included in a table document for each module on the car.
    BTW I posted an example of the gSI DTC document for a single DTC above
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 11-03-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    Follow the Chevy Volt on Twitter! @WopOnTour

Quote Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
    a plain english definition of what the GDS2 displayed PID data is actually representing is included in a table document for each module on the car.
    That would still be useful in deciphering the CAN bus transmissions. It would be comparatively easy to determine module ID encodings, and once you have one then you can have a list of all PIDs that module ID can produce. If the PID contents use a set of standardized formats (1, 2, 4, 8 byte int, float, double, lat/lon, et al) then knowing which message type a PID uses can also ease in the effort of finding it encoded on the CAN bus.

Certainly still not an easy task (by any possible stretch of the imagination). But knowing "Here's the list of possible messages" makes it a lot easier to decode then "Here's some arbitrary data, what's the message?"

And it would be *REALLY* nice if the service manuals from Helm came with a CD full of PDFs...

Advertisement

That would still be useful in deciphering the CAN bus transmissions. It would be comparatively easy to determine module ID encodings, and once you have one then you can have a list of all PIDs that module ID can produce. If the PID contents use a set of standardized formats (1, 2, 4, 8 byte int, float, double, lat/lon, et al) then knowing which message type a PID uses can also ease in the effort of finding it encoded on the CAN bus.
    Indeed. And it would answer some big questions, and help prevent errors. For example, if it lists a "Heading per internal compass" and "Heading per GPS" (2 pieces of similar data, where I might think there is one), or "Mountain Mode Requested" versus "Mountain Mode Active" (where I might find one, and assume it is the 'active' one), or "Steering Wheel Angle" (something where I don't know yet if it is sent).

It wouldn't surprise me if this information was there, because GM hasn't tried encoding or encrypting it at all.
    B-2689
    Personal Best Charge: 57.2 miles
    Best Day: 71.3 miles, no gas (49.9 on full charge, 21.4 on ~4 hours @120V)
    Over 4 billion pieces of data collected on the Volt OBD2 port

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast