Electric Bill has gone down!
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Electric Bill has gone down!

Cool Electric Bill has gone down!

I purchased my Volt with the expectation that my gas savings would more than offset any increase in my electric bill. Weird thing is my electric bill has gone down and not up.

I never quantified how much changing all my lights to CFL would save, but apparently my lighting upgrades have more than offset charging the Volt every night. I've never gotten a good feeling from an electric bill before.

Chevy Volt; the gift that keeps on giving.

Nice!

When you look to replace those CFL's, consider LED lights. There's some great solutions out there such as the Cree light bulb. They have no lead or mercury, look like regular incandescents, and are "instant on" just like a normal incandescent.

Plus, the Cree's have 10 year warranty and are also a bit more efficient than the CFL's.

A bit more pricey than CFL's, but worth it IMHO.
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Leaf Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Commercial Level 1 Charging Station
    Volt/Spark/ELR Charging Reference Magnet

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic - Love the blue!

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

My overall yearly pre-Volt charging electric bill went down when I got my Volt and moved to the Time of Use plan

Funny thing is - PG&E offers a new EV car electric plan - and it's higher than all the other plans listed on their plan comparison page on their website.

The TOU plan I currently have is $300 a year less than all other plans. I'm sticking with this plan, I'm doing OK!
    2012 Summit White Volt #22801
    2007 Black Pontiac Solstice GXP

Advertisement

Can't say our electric bill has decreased post-Volt, but has remained stable and we still come out using "less than your average neighbor" for a Good Rating from our electric company. We have also replaced some but not yet all lights with leds. Oh, but how much less expense at the gas pump altar!

That's a lot of light to equal to a charge for the car each day.

Quote Originally Posted by VikAiRious View Post
    My overall yearly pre-Volt charging electric bill went down when I got my Volt and moved to the Time of Use plan

Funny thing is - PG&E offers a new EV car electric plan - and it's higher than all the other plans listed on their plan comparison page on their website.

The TOU plan I currently have is $300 a year less than all other plans. I'm sticking with this plan, I'm doing OK!
    Ditto. EVA is quite the deal isn't it. I'll stick with E9A as long as they will let me. My electric bill hasn't changed up or down. If you are already in tier 3 or 4 then EVA can save you some big bucks. I've got a friend with a Leaf whose electric bill went down $250/month with EVA.

Not really surprising. The Volt makes you think about kwh as a resource. Once you do that, you start seeing all the ways resources can be conserved. We were well down this path before we got the Volt. I have written a bunch of articles on such items. (ie, http://gm-volt.com/2013/04/16/new-le...evse-possible/) We now get paid by the utility for the annual excess of kwh that our solar produces. Unfortunately, they pay you at wholesale rates, so I now have very little incentive to see where any more kwh can be saved- at either home or office.
    2012 Volt (Red) 'SUN FUEL'/2012 Volt (White) 'OVR OIL'/2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Driving Without Destruction

I really didn't notice any change when I first got my Volt. Then we went to a whole house TOU rate for EV owners. The drop was about 25% on average, adding to the savings I was seeing by not going to the gas station every week or two. Adding a second Volt didn't even cause a ripple. All charging is done off-peak to maximize the savings.

Quote Originally Posted by rdunniii View Post
    Ditto. EVA is quite the deal isn't it. I'll stick with E9A as long as they will let me. My electric bill hasn't changed up or down. If you are already in tier 3 or 4 then EVA can save you some big bucks. I've got a friend with a Leaf whose electric bill went down $250/month with EVA.
    The old PG&E E9A rate expires 12/31/14 so we can enjoy it this year and then we get bumped to the new EV plan. Boo!
    2012 Cyber Gray Volt (EV best = 51.5 miles)
    https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1192

2014 Electric Blue Spark EV (EV best = 79 miles (16.6kwh) with 15 left)
    http://www.voltstats.net/SparkEV/Stats/Details/4223

Advertisement

The usual biggest consumer all year round is a fridge.
    Down size and buy the most energy efficient fridge.......
    In my case New Fridge payed for itself in less than 5 years, less cleaning - now I'm enjoying the savings.

When ever I buy a new appliance energy efficiency is the most highest requirement and that usually allows a good selection and not necessarily the most expensive either.
    It's WIN WIN ps I too have not noticed any Volt electricity expense (Must be offset with my on grid solar array and savings made in the house)
    Even I hadn't it would consume like a small bar fridge and that's NOTHING considering how far you can drive on that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast