GM Volt Forum banner

New Volts needed by 700 BMW Active E drivers

10K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Optimist 
#1 ·
All of the 700, BMW Active E drivers are reaching the end of their driving experience with BMW.
Their cars must be returned almost immediately and certainly over/during the coming 60 days.
The replacement vehicle that BMW would like these drivers to move into is the new i3, due here in May, 2014.
Current drivers may extend their expiring lease until that date if they commit to a purchase of the i3.
Many drivers express regret over losing the Active E, and are for many reasons less than impressed with the i3.
These drivers have installed 240volt/30amp systems therefor they are ready to go.
The Volt is a proven sophisticated option for this group so I invite General Motors/Chevrolet Dealers to pitch us a deal, NOW.
There are 700 of us and most are in California!

#3 ·
I never even heard of this program. Very cool at 160 km range, but no extender; always some trade off. Did you guys have to lease these cars? Anyone know what the deal was. If they are looking for electronauts for Volt 2.0 or Tesla 2.0 I will be signing up for those programs.

#4 ·
Recommendation to GM

GM, now under new management, might also have an upgraded Marketing Dept.
With 700 former EV owners now coming off lease with BMW, why miss signing up this experienced,
enthusiastic crowd?
Create a Special Conquest Lease, that references them by name.
e.g. BMW Active E drivers, GM has a deal just for you!

#6 ·
Ah, but keep in mind a LOT of these i3 owners are probably considering the i3 with the range extender engine (despite the rumored loss of the coveted "white sticker" for HOV lanes)...the closest vehicle in that regard is the Volt. Some of the disappointment voice by prospective i3 purchasers revolves around BMW not increasing the size of the battery and range.

#7 ·
BMW Active E drivers will be returning the earliest leases beginng on February 28th, the entire 700 will come flooding in in March.
There is plenty of time to make a Volt decision between now and then.
GM would be smart to say, "Hell'o take a look at our Special Lease Deal just for you!",,
in this otherwise quiet post Christmas marketing period.

#10 ·
#8 ·
If the ActiveE was a BEV, GM should sell them the Chevy Spark EV instead. Then they can get a white sticker.

#12 ·
Real dealer is Keys, sells Volts lower than anyone in the US ... Can't believe I typed that! .. they were selling Volts 5K under invoice a week ago, hard to see GM doing anything better than that. Heck there isn't even the inventory to meet sales of 700 where the BMW lessors are located ..

#15 ·
Keyes and myself will take care of the group and offer up something simple and special as we always do.
Where else can you get General Manager direct deals and if you read the posts you will see in have a great team and following behind me. Nothing better then great inventory , great service. And the best deal when you are making a purchase like this.

Thank you
Rick Alpern
GM
Keyes Chevy
818-231-1286
Preferred contact is text

#16 ·
Today, I visited the only dealer that was interested in doing business!

The story here is simple. Let all of the dealers in the Country know that 700 BMW, Active E drivers are losing their cars between now and the end of March. Would you like to pitch the Chevy Volt to this group, which I have described as sophisticated, experienced and hardware equipped with L2 evse's, ready and needing to buy a replacement car Now!

You would expect that this Site, where you are reading, might be monitored by alert, aggresive, marketers of their product, including perhaps a GM Corporate employee.

The response has been eye opening! One Dealer, Keyes Chevrolet, in So, Calif. responded, no one else!

At noon today, Friday, the 10th of January, I parked my BMW Active E in front of the dealership's main entrance.
I told the first person who greeted me that I had been invited by Rick Alpern, however he didn't know I was coming at this time so please let him know that I am here.

Rick Alpern, it turns out, is the General Manager of the dealership, in other words everyone works for him and they sell every configuration of Chevrolet.

Here is my take, I spent 3 hours talking cars and driving the Volt and the Spark ev. I like this guy, he is truly passionate about the Volt, not salesman proud, but heartfelt proud. Trust me I know the difference. He said he will personally appeal to GM to make something special possible. If he is successful, all dealerships will be incentivised.
He said simply let me see what I can do for all of you then give me a chance to offer you the best deal/value for a new Volt.

Let's watch and see what he can produce. I left feeling very comfortable which is saying a lot in the world of car buying.

#17 ·
Thank you , just got home and read this post and I appreciate the kind words. I will make in roads and have already secured a strong allocation of Vehicles. I plan on hosting an event in the next 30 days and will have 3 Volts available for overnight test drives. If you are interested sooner text me and we can set one up. I placed the vehicles into service just today. I will assume many will want to compare the vehicles. Remember as well stickers could end before mid year and waiting could cost you that opportunity.
The deals of course are really the easy part. Making sure I have the inventory is of course going to be the challenge, but as I stated I think we will be good. Any one who wants to order a Volt now can do with me at no obligation and no deposit.
If there is anything else I can do please text me at
818-231-1286. This is best my best way of contact.
I have 70 orders available in next couple weeks.
Thank you
Rick Alpern
GM Keyes Chevy
FYI if for some reason you are interested in a Chevy non Volt inventory is great and we also own many other brands and I can help with that as well.
818-231-1286

#18 ·
As a current Volt and BMW X3 owner, you won't regret buying a Volt. As ggod as the BMW is, the Volt makes the BMW seem way less sophisticated and the ride is much less smooth. In addition, I used to fill the Beemer once a week. I bought my Volt last October and have only just visited my first gas station to add 4 gallons

peter richards

#23 ·
The Volt is going to be a great option. Do as other have done and pre-order yours today or get on the Keyes list. I am still working on some extra special for this group with GM and other partners. I also have some available for overnight test drives.

Thank you
Rick Alpern
GM Keyes Chevy
818-231-1286
cell

#24 ·
BMW builds some nice products but are generally overpriced and the whole culture of BMW and its fans is one of arrogance IMHO. Their shenanigans on keeping a big chunk of the tax credit for the leased cars and jamming up their Electronauts displays this arrogance to the hilt.

Considering that BMW chose to hire former GM Volt team engineers to develop their I cars says it all.

#28 ·
Update: 700 BMW Active-E Drivers Need A Volt

In January, I naively posted on this forum, hoping to catch the attention of GM or the Chevrolet Dealerships. I believed that they would undertand the unique opportunity of discovering 700 BMW drivers were about to be forced to return their cars without a replacement ready. What I learned from my effort was that there is great truth in the admonition that "There is always room at the top, because people get lazy." To prove this point, I offer that there was no word from GM and only one Dealership in America, said yes, "We'll do something for all of you." That was Rick Alpern at Keyes Chevrolet in Van Nuys, CA.

Living only 30 minutes away it was easy for me to visit and walk in unannounced and ask for Rick. I discovered that he is the General Manager of this large dealership that sells all configurations of Chevrolet. I quickly learned that he really loves and "Gets", the Volt.
We talked cars and got acquainted. He is one of the "Good Guys". While he attempted to interest GM, I continued my daily acquisition of recommendations and insights from all of you, thanks to this Forum. Thank you very much!
GM did nothing and even Volt production slowed to a crawl while the assembly line converted to production of the Cadillac ELR.
My, "date certain" to return my car was fast approaching and since the Volt, as I wanted it configured, was not available, I asked Rick to facture order it for me. This is where I saw real evidence of GM's awareness of Keyes volume of Volt sales. I say that because I have followed the reports of long waits that many have experienced. Rick was able to get my car Ordered-manufactured-shipped and transported for delivery to me in 4 weeks. I am driving it now, a perfectly executed return of the BMW and a drive off in my new Volt.

I share all of this with you in some detail to say thank you to Rick and to comfort the potentially cynical buyers. The purchase of a new car is an awful experience, it is such an old school, barbaric battle.
It is different at Keyes Chevrolet, it was easy, fun, obviously efficient and truly stress free. Like you, I did my cost comparisons and here too, they were the Best.

Thank you to all of you who unknowingly offered their best oppinions and shared their enjoyment. The Volt is better in many ways than the BMW Active-E, I drove for the past two years and much better in almost every way than the BMW i3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.