GM Volt Forum banner

MY 2012 Volt Traction Control (TCS) and StabiliTrak (ESP) Manual Deactivation

17K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  maestro77 
#1 ·
After reading the 2012 Volt owners manual I found out the Traction Control (TCS) and the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) can be manually deactivated. This feature is nice because sometimes I like to have "fun". With the 2011 Volt the TCS and ESP cannot manually be deactivated. I am sure other Volt owners have figured this out but thought I would comment.

#3 ·
I'm pretty sure every 2012 has it; mine does. It's a surprisingly large button actually.

Disabling TCS and ESC doesn't completely disable it though, it just delays the point at which the system intervenes. I went to a large open paved lot where they sometimes hold autocross competitions (I used to go there to have fun with my Sentra SE-R Spec-V), and even with the TCS and ESC off, I could never get the Volt into a 4-wheel skid. It was super easy to do with the Sentra which had no electronic aids of any types, not even ABS brakes.

I would also expect some tire spin at launch with over 270 lb-ft of torque, but it's hard to get any at all.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, because I can't think of a reason to want to skid a Volt intentionally, but GM shouldn't say that it disables the system because that's not what it does.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure every 2012 has it; mine does. It's a surprisingly large button actually.
@therfman, I suspect you're already aware, but for the benefit of all readers, note that a single press of the button only turns off "Traction" control. You need to hold the button down to also turn off "Stability" control. A subsequent single press re-enables both.

It was wet outside today and with Traction control off, I was able to spin the tires (a little bit) from a standing stop. I should have also tried it with Traction control on.

#7 ·
I don't think you ever want traction/stability control off when DRIVING on snow/ice. That's kinda the whole point of having that electronic driving assistance. As I understand it, the usage case when you might want traction control off is when you're 'stuck' in deep snow (or maybe mud or sand, or whatever) and you WANT to spin the tires like crazy in the hope they'll find some bite and get you out from being stuck.

#8 ·
Yes, your post is entirely off topic - and you probably shouldn't do that. The person that began this thread likely won't appreciate it being 'high jacked' to a different topic.
I suspect a simple forum search would have answered your query....but to help you out, there is an entire thread (quite recent) on this topic here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...nd-an-electronic-copy-of-the-2012-Volt-Manual.

#9 ·
My apologies if I threw things off and want to abide by the rules of the site, but the originator mentioned the 2012 owner's manual in the opening thread; since I'm interested on how the manual speaks to this issue and other 2012 changes I felt it appropriate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.