GM Volt Forum banner

Trick to keep engine off in cold temps worked today in 9 degrees F....

Tags
erdtt
11K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  ari_c 
#1 ·
I didn't think it would work in such cold temps but it did. Keeping the climate on 73F in comfort mode, with the fan on low, caused the engine to come on once in a 40 minute drive. The engine comes on once right when you start the car and that's it. This means that the coolant can reach it's required 150F approx. even in the extreme cold. Not sure if it would work in zero or negative degree situations....

MrEnergyCzar

#2 ·
I have to try this. In 18F today, I did a short trip in no heater mode and had numerous ErDTT runs the whole time. I was going to ask someone to post this and you already have. I think I remember WOT or saghost post this a few times in the past.

ERDTT avoidance = 73F Comfort mode (maybe with a precondition first)

#3 ·
I reset the ERDTT to "very low" on the function screen so that it doesn't come on at 21 degrees, which is what I saw tonight. Which is cool. How cold will I be able to drive all electric before the Volt kicks on the ICE, given that I re-set the ERDTT screen? I should remember but I have forgotten.

#5 ·
ERDTT - Workarounds-

Hi Ziv-

MY2011/ MY2012 - 25 degrees or less-

My2013/ My2014 - 35 degrees, default/ 15 degrees with soft button push.

Link goes to screen shot of MY2013/ MY2014 Temperature Screen in the CenterStack.

https://twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt/status/419129108946120704/photo/1/large

Mr. Energy Czar, Bonaire-

The workaround as been pointed out many times here, once ERDTT starts in my MY2012 I crank the temps. Comfort mode, 80 degrees. ERDTT will run for .07 one hundreds of a gallon.

The Volt EREV interior heats up a lot faster then most of the gassers on my car lots, that we have been starting often in this gawd forsaken - 14 degree to 20 degree temps.

While driving into work Volt will switch back to CD ( Charge Depleting ) mode and I will then, warm enough, drop the temp to 70 degrees, in Comfort Mode with the fan set at the one position. I find that I can do all my commuting without another ERDTT event.

There is one exception, however. When I take the freeway at 75+ per hour in 14 degree weather under full CD Mode, I will get another tiny ERDTT of .03 one hundreds of a gallon as the speed chills the system quicker then Comfort Mode can sustain it.

Yes I hate using gas as a transportation product any more.

Like my doctor told me about a pulled nerve in my back- Embrace the pain! lol

.....at least till it warms, for me, back above 25 degrees!

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

517-622-6081

Twitter.com/Amazing ChevVolt

VoltStats-

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1068

#4 ·
This trick always works for me even when it is below -30c. I set the temp at 22.5C . Fan must be on the lowest setting when very cold outisde. If the day is warm i can up the fan one or two. You can see when you need to bring the fan setting back to the minimum by looking at the % of climate power used.. When it starts to go above ~70% and rising, that it when the engine could start at any time. On minimum the % will remain stable.

#6 ·
flipy @ #4

-30c? That would be the day I packed up my traps and left for L.A., LOL. I said it yesterday, but I'll say it again. My hat is off to you guys in The Great White North. You are the TOUGHEST!

Of couse we just finished 2013 with the least rainfall on record, and 2014 isn't starting out very well either. So we may end up like one of those survivalist TV shows and just go back to being a desert. We may be coming your way pretty soon!

#7 ·
This works for me as well. I have a ~50 minute commute and I keep my heat on HI and Comfort mode. I have a scan-gauge/Torque App and I can see that the coolant never goes below 138*F. I tried to do some testing last winter, during a cold snap to see how much gas I used under two separate conditions (1. no heat and letting the ERDTT run 6 or 7 times during my commute; 2. Using Comfort mode to restrict the ERDTT), but the cold snap ended before I could complete my testing...bummer? I never liked reaching work with battery reserve and having used gas. Now I just used Comfort mode and my final 4 to 5 miles are in CS mode and used ~1/4 gallon of gas.

I think that THIS works only for MY2011/2012, but I think that there have been recent posts in other threads from someone in Canada that has a MY2013 discussing how they can also limit their ERDTT using Comfort mode.

#8 · (Edited)
I think that THIS works only for MY2011/2012
I can attest to this. In my 2013, when the outdoor air temp is below the ERDTT temp threshold, the electric heater will help heat the coolant only at first.

Once the engine coolant gets up to temperature, the electric heater turns off completely and won't turn back on to help maintain the coolant temp. So between ERDTT engine runs, the only ways to lengthen the time until it fires back up are to:

-turn down/off the fan
-turn on recirculate
-turn down the temperature setting

The problem with the doing first 2 things is that the windows will fog up pretty quickly.

I'm not even sure if putting it in FAN ONLY or ECO vs COMFORT makes any difference.

#9 · (Edited)
Works for me as well. It was -8F this morning and did my morning commute ~24 miles one way with just 1 ICE run. Of course I have to use ICE for the whole commute home, but I find I don't use anymore gas than if I'm playing the use Fan only and ERDTT game. I stopped trying to outsmart the Volt and drive in comfort when below the ERDTT threshold. It seems more efficient to allow the ICE to run long burns instead of ERDTT short burns. Plus it is nice and toasty for both directions of my commute.

#10 ·
Smurf, Once the heater core and coolant heat up, it seems that they stay warm enough to heat the cabin when you switch out of Hold mode and back to CD mode. Maybe you could do your first half of the 24 miles in Hold and the last on battery? Might still be somewhat warm thru the end and more electric miles.

#14 ·
I had to go to Home Depot for more Ice Melt this morning, 15 miles r/t. It was 9F and my modified temperature sensor worked wonders. Reported it was 45F instead of 9 and I made the drive 100% EV.

There really should have been an option for No ERDTT.

#15 ·
But if I use Comfort + 73 on my 34 mile 1 hour commute, won't I likely run out of kWh 5 miles/10 minutes from work (and then need a full 9-10 hours to charge L1 at work) honestly should try it I guess.

But think I rather prefer to arrive to work battery half charged and use the ERDTT + Fan. I guess it's nice to have options!

#16 ·
But if I use Comfort + 73 on my 34 mile 1 hour commute, won't I likely run out of kWh 5 miles/10 minutes from work (and then need a full 9-10 hours to charge L1 at work) honestly should try it I guess.
There are so many variables and it may not be beneficial if you are not able to make it all the way in one direction. At low temperatures, I think I was doing it wrong by trying to get the furthest distance for total battery miles per charge. Instead now, I am focusing on burning the least amount of gas. It seems at low temperatures trying to get the the most miles out of the battery doesn't always translate into burning less gas. Of course, that may not help out your stats on voltstat.net :) This week is suppose to be super cold, so there is more opportunity to verify what I'm doing is working for me.

#17 · (Edited)
It's funny how some think there is a 'certain' climate setting that limits ERDDT usage.
Those are not 'Workarounds'. Unless 'Fan Only' or 'LO' is used. Does that keep the engine off?
But why suffer? If your little engine is going to power up, at least give it the courtesy of a complete warm up, not just 2-3 miles.

Not having that little stinker power up when you know you don't need it is the goal.

There is one workaround that works every time. The only down side is when used your outside temp display is skewed higher.
But with an under-hood switch to return it to normal mode, it can be used only when the forecast calls for engine running temps.
But we shan't talk about this mod.

#18 ·
It's funny how some think there is a 'certain' climate setting that limits ERDDT usage.
Those are not 'Workarounds'. Unless 'Fan Only' or 'LO' is used. Does that keep the engine off?
But why suffer? If your little engine is going to power up, at least give it the courtesy of a complete warm up, not just 2-3 miles.
For me, the question is what burns more calories to ensure NO unnecessary ERDTT runs when K10 is providing more than enough cabin heat keeping the windows well defrosted!?

Having to remote precondition 2x followed by making the climate setting exactly 73 COMFORT mode only no auto recirculate off for the 2 Wednesday of an odd month while patting my head and rubbing my tummy...

or

Never allowing B9 > 22KΩ

;)

#24 ·
The glaring omission I observe in GM's software control system is that the climate control should automatically toggle Comfort mode on when the ICE is running and then it should toggle Comfort mode off and Fan on when the ICE shuts down. Or at least make it an option in the Vehicle Configuration screen. I do not want to use any of my electric range on cabin heating. The ICE running at low rpm to maintain coolant temperature is an acceptable use of gas to me when it is sub-zero Fahrenheit outside.

#26 ·
I do not want to use any of my electric range on cabin heating.
Just remove fuse F37 from the Engine Compartment Fuse Block thereby disabling the K10 heater and you will no longer use any electric range towards cabin heating! I can't guarantee you won't get a latched CEL though...

L

You can see the temp sensor from the lower air vents in the front of the Volt on the passenger side. Shine a flashlight in there and you can see it sticking through a hole. To replace it is a bit of a challenge though.
Down and dirty way is too work on your back then there is only a single(1) 7mm(9/32) screw between you and the B9 temp sensor!

#27 ·
Weird how secretive people are. On camaro forums, we do whatever we want to our ****. Mods, tunes, whatever. GM has no say on what we do, other than warranty coverage for things related to the mod.

Hell, if warranty wasn't so important for these cars we'd have that erdtlt junk tuned out. I bet an temp interface can be made though. Like the ones people use to keep v8 autos from going 6 banger mode. Plug it into data port and have it tell car it's over so much degrees out.

#34 ·
The other day when it was 9F, my Volt reported it was 45F. So this modified temperature sensor would work, even that cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.