2011 Software Update?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst 1 5 15 25 30 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Software Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moe View Post
    I believe that they reproportioned the total battery usage per charge. Big Moe
    Ummmm
    No
    Nothing in that respect has changed.
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 10-31-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tboult View Post
    (I don't know if anyone had measurements before they had the upgrade. Rusty can you confirm?)
    I can confirm that those measurements are consistent with a pre-upgrade Volt.

Because I'm a Luddite, and politely refused (for the moment) the nice offer of the VA to schedule an upgrade for me. I'll wait until I'm happy with getting pre-update measurements (now that it looks like I won't be shipping the DashDAQ back this week), *then* I'll get the upgrade and do posts.

WOT,

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. I will, of course (eventually) get the update. The point I was trying to make was that I think that I have the RIGHT ro know what they are doing to my car BEFORE they do it. I am not implying that GM is trying to do any evil to my car, but rather that I, as a certified geek, would like to know what problems they are solving with the update. I'm only asking for the same information I get before updating my home computer. That's really not a lot to ask. I do not hold GM liable for the problems they are solving. In such a complex system, such as the Volt, there are bound to be birth pains - especially given the rapid development cycle that the Volt went through. I went into this with my eyes open. I just would like to see full disclosure for people who would like to see the data.

And please keep up the great work you are doing on this forum. Your posts are fantastic.
    Ron
    Volt Vin #1873

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    I, as a certified geek, would like to know what problems they are solving with the update. I'm only asking for the same information I get before updating my home computer. That's really not a lot to ask.
    OK. How 'bout if GM tells you exactly as much about how the upgrade works and how it modifies the car's behavior as they told you in advance about how the car really works in the first place. Will that do it?

Hmmm.... Right. GM didn't really tell *anyone* how the car actually works in the first place either. Why would you expect them to tell you now how they're modifying their little black box experiment?

I went into this with my eyes open. I just would like to see full disclosure for people who would like to see the data.
    So would Toyota...

Well maybe not. Toyota doesn't seem to have its act together on this front. OK, so would Mercedes Benz, BMW, and any car company traded on the Chinese stock exchange. Granted two out of three of those can probably figure it out on their own, but there's no reason for GM to make it easy.

Me? I'm planning on putting a little effort into figuring out how the car works, first. There are actually some hints on the areas changed, which narrows the field of examination from bumper to bumper to bits and pieces inside the black box. Then they can do the mod and the game begins to see if I can figure out what changed. So call it extremely dark grey box testing.

Of course I won't be able to do comprehensive analysis because I can't put the car through the entire gamut of environmental stress. Or at least I'm not going to. But if all goes well maybe I can pull enough interesting tid-bits out to be of engineering geekiness amusement to me.

If you're going to claim being a certified geek, then put the effort into it the folks over here are doing, or start adding to the effort RScott is doing on CAN bus analysis, or at least be lazy like JetJock and me, fork out a little cash, and get data pre-digested from a DashDAQ.

Since when do geeks have the RIGHT to know what *any* evil empire is doing to their stuff? Isn't that the whole point of reverse hacking?

P.S. Can you tell it makes me cranky when the home team loses stupid on national TV? :- ]
    Last edited by Rusty; 11-01-2011 at 03:02 AM.

I have been contacted twice by Volt advisors. My plan is to wait until January. Volt 555 will have 13000 miles on the odometer. Will have the first engine oil chage. And tire rotation. Along with the software update. My Volt should be about 4th or 5th to be updated at Paradise Chevrolet.

I had the software upgrade done on the 2011 about a month ago. No problems. My full charge miles have actually gone up about 3MPC, but the cooler weather here in Texas may be the reason for that.
    2011-02499 White "EPOWER"
    2012-00444 Red "GO EV"

I seem to agree that since the upgrade range has decreased 10%. I had my upgrade performed at Superior Chevrolet in Lawrenceville, NJ .. Anyone else have problems an upgrade and range decrease from there?
    Jack Phillips
    Hamilton, NJ
    Volt 2011( White) and Volt 2013 (Black)

I had an earlier software update done late August and it certainly reset the reported SOC after a full charge. But it was nothing dramatic. Dropped from 41 to 39. But after a few charging cycles, it crept back to 40-41.

I would be curious to know if this observation is only the displayed EV range after a charge. Or was this the actual EV range you got before depletion?

-Venky
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2011 Viridian Joule, Leased 7/5/11, Miles driven=1761, Electric = 1650, 32kWh/100 miles

Basically people's brains are wired to connect dots. That's a great thing but sometimes it takes you down a wrong path. For example, we have lots of customers who claim that an innocuous software update crashed their hard drive. Another example would be what the electrical companies experienced when rolling out smart meters. When they put the new meters in they got a ton of complaints that the new meters were resulting in overcharges. What they found was that the new meters had gone in just as temperatures had risen and ACs were turned on, which meant that bills had gone up from the prior month, but because of increased use of AC not because of the new meters.

I think some of this is happening here. When you have the software update the range estimate gets reset. That leads to the perception that the range has changed. On top of that the weather changes and the range goes down or up. People then connect the dots and decide that the software update has changed their range even though it's unlikely that it has.

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Basically people's brains are wired to connect dots. That's a great thing but sometimes it takes you down a wrong path. For example, we have lots of customers who claim that an innocuous software update crashed their hard drive. Another example would be what the electrical companies experienced when rolling out smart meters. When they put the new meters in they got a ton of complaints that the new meters were resulting in overcharges. What they found was that the new meters had gone in just as temperatures had risen and ACs were turned on, which meant that bills had gone up from the prior month, but because of increased use of AC not because of the new meters.

I think some of this is happening here. When you have the software update the range estimate gets reset. That leads to the perception that the range has changed. On top of that the weather changes and the range goes down or up. People then connect the dots and decide that the software update has changed their range even though it's unlikely that it has.
    This is exactly the case. I wish they had done a "copy & paste" feature into the HPCM2 software that would permit retaining the car's existing statistical data, (like some other instances) but apparently it cannot be. (something to do with memory allocation in that particular module) In the meantime we can merely assure people that any range decreses are NOT due to the software updates which would more than likely IMPROVE range due to improvements in HVAC control routines and had very little bearing on how the Volt estimates range.
    WOT

PS>
    As MichealH suggested when you pick up your Volt after these updates one should immediately:
    1) check that the AUTO HEATED SEATS softkey is still present in your HVAC screen
    2) shift into reverse and confirm your back-up camera is working
    IF EITHER IS NOT, then immediately alert them that an error was made when programming the radio and that the correct selections for RPO KA1 (heated seats) and RPO UVC (rear-view camera) were NOT made. These types of customizations are not common for radio programming so it's possible the techncian failed to select the correct package. No excuses though , it is a f#$%- up!!
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 11-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst 1 5 15 25 30 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text