2011 Software Update?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst 1 12 22 30 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Software Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Micucci View Post
    This is the first thing I am unhappy about since I have accepted the helicopter noise when the windows are down.
    Crack your back window. Problem solved.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Volt #947 Delivered on 2/25/11 -- Sold!
    240V Blink Installed 10/28/11 -- Returned!
    2011 Jaguar XF White
    2011 Jaguar XF Gray
    1998 Lotus Esprit V8 TT
    2004 Lamborghini Murcielago 6spd Manual Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by judyaj View Post
    Whenever I turn on the nav the radio comes on and when I turn off the radio the nav goes off.
    Also when I turn on the climate control the radio comes on. What's up with that?
    That's the way it has always worked. If you want the nav on without the radio, just hit the mute button on the steering column. I do it all of the time. The mute button is in a very convenient position.
    Michael in New Mexico, Volt #1761

Quote Originally Posted by voltage692 View Post
    I don't mean to be a wiseguy but...absolutely not. i have tried the windows in every imaginable configuration. Front and rear. If I go above 30-35 mph with the windows open I get the thumping sound.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Thanks. My wife said we got 37 on this charge so maybe it is getting better. It sure is tempting to put it in Sport mode and fly around but it kind of defeats the purpose. We have a "Red Rocket" also. It's a great color!!

I don't mean to be a wiseguy but...absolutely not. i have tried the windows in every imaginable configuration. Front and rear. If I go above 30-35 mph with the windows open I get the thumping sound.
    I too like windows open. But the "cracking" needs to be an an asymmetric fashion but not totally on one-side. If both sides of the car are the same you get alternative pressure waves. I open the driver/passenger and crack the side opposite the drive maybe 3" and the one behind the driver 1"
    BoultVolt Red 2011 #3745Hidden Content More freedom than electric.
    Personal best, Hidden Content

While I'm moderator my job there is to delete spam. To be clear, in my posts I'm speaking as myself. These views are my own and don't represent this board, my university, employer,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tboult View Post
    I too like windows open. But the "cracking" needs to be an an asymmetric fashion but not totally on one-side. If both sides of the car are the same you get alternative pressure waves. I open the driver/passenger and crack the side opposite the drive maybe 3" and the one behind the driver 1"
    If I understand you correctly, I open the driver and passenger and crack the passenger rear 3" and the driver rear 1"?

I'll admit everything I did was symmetrical. I am consistently amazed at the knowledge of the people that own this car. I am starting to get an inferiority complex.

Thank you for the help. It's bit cool in NY this weekend but we will button up the coats and give this a go!

This is the first thing I am unhappy about since I have accepted the helicopter noise when the windows are down.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltage692 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tboult View Post
    If I understand you correctly, I open the driver and passenger and crack the passenger rear 3" and the driver rear 1"?

I'll admit everything I did was symmetrical. I am consistently amazed at the knowledge of the people that own this car. I am starting to get an inferiority complex.

Thank you for the help. It's bit cool in NY this weekend but we will button up the coats and give this a go!
    Bit of a thread jack of the software page guys but just to add some closure:
    There's talk of an upcoming accessory kit to address the buffeting noise. It looks like during the kit installation they replace the "skull caps" and bezels on the mirrors. Not sure exactly what is different with them, or if they are just painted flat black like the bottom half (or you have to have them painted to match) OR if they have any affect on range or mpg.

However if they ARE in fact an accessory kit, it usually means it won't be a warrantable item but an "owner pays" change (or dealer goodwill) kind of like the shorter air-dam. (I'll either start another thread or search for another "buffeting" thread when I know more)
    Stay Tuned!
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 11-18-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

You're welcome ... Absolutely not.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Volt #947 Delivered on 2/25/11 -- Sold!
    240V Blink Installed 10/28/11 -- Returned!
    2011 Jaguar XF White
    2011 Jaguar XF Gray
    1998 Lotus Esprit V8 TT
    2004 Lamborghini Murcielago 6spd Manual Coupe

Heeeeyyyyy y'all ...

I just read through 40 freaking pages of discussion about the 2011 software update, including this thread. Man, am I beat

I've been too busy to bother getting the update done on my early Volt, but will be able to do it in December. Thanks WOT for your summarizing post a few pages back; I've added it to the FAQ.

To all those whining about decreased range (estimated or actual), know that my Volt's range made a pretty quick drop from 35 miles to 30 miles about a month ago when we entered the cooler fall weather. I have not yet had the software update. I'm expecting it to slide further to as low as 25 miles over the winter, because that's what happened last winter (this will be my second winter with my Volt #284 ). My ranges already tend to be on the low side because I drive with a lead foot and happily abuse the HVAC system. EDIT 28-Nov: one user here did in fact lose some actual range at first, and he showed that it was not due to colder weather, but the range came back after a week or so. More about that here.

I'm disappointed to hear that the update does not include the kWh consumed reading on the display; I was really looking forward to that.

The other key thing I want, need actually, is the ability to turn off the alarm when removing the charge cord, and a post here has implied that that feature (in the config menu) made it into this 2011 update. Hooray! This is critical for sharing public charging stations -- I'll be putting a sign on my dash saying "go ahead and unplug me if you need it".

One thing that wasn't clear from all the commentary hear is the numbering of the updates. There was the original 11137 update, and 11137A and 11137B are just tweaks of that big update. Then there's the "recall" 11264 which takes care of the heated seats icon problem. The 11264 update does not replace the 11137 update, it just adds to it. (edited: thanks MichaelH for the clarification below)

I want to be as prepared as possible for this because it is a real ordeal for me to get out to the dealer. So, to digest all this information, when I get my update done next month here is what I will do:

1. Make an appointment with the dealer for the 11137 update and ask for a loaner vehicle; if no loaner then call VA for assistance in getting one (GM will pay dealer for it)
    2. Prep: bring 110V charger cordset, take pictures of radio presets, take pictures of tone settings
    3. Dropoff: set to immediate charging before releasing to dealer (so they might charge it for me)
    4. After update, before leaving dealer, check on:
    - heated seats auto button? Apply "recall" 11264 and the tech needs to select the RPO KA1 option; aka "reprogram the radio A-11 with K-A1 option"
    - rear backup camera working as expected?
    5. Finish up: reset radio presets, reset volume levels (e.g. startup whoosh), reset tone settings

For the record, here is a post that describes the differences between 2011 and 2012 Volts. Note that this is NOT a listing of things that change with the 2011 software update, just the model year changes. It's a useful reference to see all the things that the 2012s are getting that us 2011s aren't, in particular that kWh reading ... :
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....7439#post97439

For the record, the other (much smaller) threads that touched on this 2011 update were:
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....ftware-updates
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....-the-2011-Volt
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....for-2011-Volts

... but this is certainly the big one and I encourage commentary to stay in this thread.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 11-28-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    One thing that wasn't clear from all the commentary hear is the numbering of the updates. There was the original 11137 update, then I saw mentions of 11137A and 11137B. Finally there's the "recall" 11264 which takes care of the heated seats icon problem. Does the 11264 update replace the 11137 update, or just add to it?
    Hi, Chris. Update 11264 is just for the heated seat icon problem. You will be going in for 11137. I believe 11137B is just the latest version of 11137. WOP can weigh in.
    Michael in New Mexico, Volt #1761

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst 1 12 22 30 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text