Adapting the Mountain Mode for MY2012 Volt to function like the Hold Mode
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adapting the Mountain Mode for MY2012 Volt to function like the Hold Mode

Default Adapting the Mountain Mode for MY2012 Volt to function like the Hold Mode

In the continual quest to find an answer for the MY2012 Volt owners who have the misfortune of being left out on the Hold Mode, I was wondering if anyone might know how to adjust the Mountain Mode to act like a form of Hold Mode? I have no need of the Mountain Mode and if I ever do, I can accept it coming on at 90% vs 40%. This way I am hoping to get the good out of ICE in winter months and highway driving.
    Thanks in advance

I've been wanting this myself. I'm not a car electronics hacker, testing on my own car, though. We have one here that might try something, it can't be super-hard, but it's not in the ECM, it's elsewhere.

One thing I've thought of is cheating the ERDLT sensor, which is inside the right wheel well somewhere (or just behind it). It's an NTC thermocouple, so adding some series resistance there (the specs are elsewhere here) would make the car think it's colder than it is and run the ICE. Somewhere between 25k and 100k ohms ought to do for most weather, and I've thought that if I do, I'll simply put in a potentiometer and switch, inside the cabin to enable that.
    I have no idea what would happen if the resistance measured there was totally "out of spec" for example, so being able to adjust it might be important.

Other experiments, like forcing the ICE on by popping the hood have shown me that yes, with it running, it does what it would do normally...charge the batttery if not already full and so on. But that dodge doesn't work past about 10 mph (with the hood still held by the safety latch).

I've also been known to not quite fully charge the car (say, to 90% only), then pop the hood and let it warm up before leaving, while also charging the battery the rest of the way up - the engine runs under more load that way - more efficient overall. For that one, you have to pay attention to the charge level, as there's no set-and-forget method available. For the rest of the trip (asuuming a short one) the heater then needs to draw less power to keep something already warm still warm. I use recirculate to keep from having to heat cold outdoor air for that one.

Edit: I'm totally off-grid solar, and when I need these tricks, I don't have the "shore power" to simply pre-condition.
    Volt #5014, White. All off grid solar powered. My sci-tech boards:
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by DCFusor View Post
    I've been wanting this myself. I'm not a car electronics hacker, testing on my own car, though. We have one here that might try something, it can't be super-hard, but it's not in the ECM, it's elsewhere.

One thing I've thought of is cheating the ERDLT sensor, which is inside the right wheel well somewhere (or just behind it). It's an NTC thermocouple, so adding some series resistance there (the specs are elsewhere here) would make the car think it's colder than it is and run the ICE. Somewhere between 25k and 100k ohms ought to do for most weather, and I've thought that if I do, I'll simply put in a potentiometer and switch, inside the cabin to enable that.
    I have no idea what would happen if the resistance measured there was totally "out of spec" for example, so being able to adjust it might be important
    If forcing the ICE to engage is your endgame, simply removing this ambient air temperature sensor and the open circuit the K114A Hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 detects will accomplish this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by somms View Post
    If forcing the ICE to engage is your endgame, simply removing this ambient air temperature sensor and the open circuit the K114A Hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 detects will accomplish this.

See this thread http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....-in-the-winter
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 84,576 miles, 135 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 74%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1366 miles, 125
    MPG, 65% Electric, 33% gas, Saved 48 gal., 27 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Who is the guy on here that has modified the software to do other things? i.e. faster acceleration times, DVD playback when in motion, etc.

Seems like a switch from 40% threshold to 90% threshold would be easy for him.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

Keep it in MM and don't charge overnight... . I did that last night. For long highway drives, I just enter MM at the start and come out of it with 14 miles to go.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather (4-years owned on July 5, 2016 @ 69,000 miles) Current Hidden Content
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Hidden Content -- 47 MWh since 12/12/2012

Thank you to Hidden Content for a great purchasing experience. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ClarksonCote View Post
    Who is the guy on here that has modified the software to do other things? i.e. faster acceleration times, DVD playback when in motion, etc.

Seems like a switch from 40% threshold to 90% threshold would be easy for him.
    A talker that never once proved he did anything .. like many on the interent looking for attention
    2013 Crystal Red Volt #39239 - New off the lot 8/28/2014
    Make Your Stock charger 240V for 30 bucks! Hidden Content

Question Is it bad for the battery to keep it in MM and don't charge during the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by bonaire View Post
    Keep it in MM and don't charge overnight... . I did that last night. For long highway drives, I just enter MM at the start and come out of it with 14 miles to go.
    I don't have the Hold Mode with my 2012 too. Since my electric utility rate is 5 times more when outside temperature is below 10 deg F, I would like to run on gasoline when outside temperature is below 10 deg F. My house is heated by oil instead of electric when outside temp is below 10 deg F and would like that my Volt run only gasoline too below 10 deg F. I was thinking at that strategy with Mountain Mode. I'm wandering if it can stress the battery or other car components to leave the car unplugged during the coldest weeks of the year. At least, the battery stay near the recommended range for long storage if we switch to Mountain Mode at each startup.

I know that under a certain battery temperature, we can get an error message showing that the car need to be plugged in to start the ICE. Do we know which outside temp can cause that?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry_FL View Post
    A talker that never once proved he did anything .. like many on the interent looking for attention
    Actually, the one I'm thinking about had a (somewhat poorly filmed) YouTube video showing a real fast 0-60 time on his Volt, though it was accompanied by a Check Engine light each time.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ClarksonCote View Post
    Actually, the one I'm thinking about had a (somewhat poorly filmed) YouTube video showing a real fast 0-60 time on his Volt, though it was accompanied by a Check Engine light each time.
    I've never been satisfied with any of the videos - there seem to be issues with each which "happen" to keep us from seeing the real results clearly (the most recent set had serious problems with the rolling shutter interacting with the LED? display on the display.)
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text