High frequency sounds when accelerating
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High frequency sounds when accelerating

Default High frequency sounds when accelerating

Just got my Volt a few days ago and did my first solo drive in it today. I noticed when I accelerate or step on the brakes to decelerate, there is an extremely high pitched sound, somewhere I think around 16-17kHz. It sends shivers down my spine. Is this a normal thing?? The sound is something like the sound of a rotary saw (though not nearly as loud), and perhaps a dog whistle. Has anyone else come across this problem?

Is yours a 2014? I have a 2012, and also have some very high pitched whines that are unpleasant - many folks can't hear them at all, which I think is just a a difference in hearing acuity, not that different cars make different noises. I was kind of hoping that they'd improved the noises in the 2014s.

In my 2012, it's worst when in Mountain Mode and during Regenerative Braking. In pure electric mode I can hear it but it's fairly quiet and I can often tune it out.

If you have a "rotary saw" or "buzz saw" like sound, that may be a different problem with some bearings that are prone to failure.

Thanks for your reply. It is a 2014. What I meant by the saw is that high whirring sound that is really an overtone. I actually called my dealership and will be taking it in next week to see if they can hear it too.

Advertisement

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshenGray View Post
    Just got my Volt a few days ago and did my first solo drive in it today. I noticed when I accelerate or step on the brakes to decelerate, there is an extremely high pitched sound, somewhere I think around 16-17kHz. It sends shivers down my spine. Is this a normal thing?? The sound is something like the sound of a rotary saw (though not nearly as loud), and perhaps a dog whistle. Has anyone else come across this problem?
    how much time did you spend test driving the car? Hopefully enough to have experienced this already.....

It's not the sound when you go from a stop and step on the gas-- that sound is a sound which slides up in frequency, though at a lower frequency than this other sound, and that sounds totally normal and acceptable to me, like a electric machine starting up. This other sound is much much higher in pitch and starts after that other sound is done, when I'm going 30-40 or so. I haven't done much highway driving yet, so I'll see if it's still there when I go at higher speeds.

It's not the sound when you go from a stop and step on the gas-- that sound is a sound which slides up in frequency, though at a lower frequency than this other sound, and that sounds totally normal and acceptable to me, like a electric machine starting up. This other sound is much much higher in pitch and starts after that other sound is done, when I'm going 30-40 or so. I haven't done much highway driving yet, so I'll see if it's still there when I go at higher speeds.
    In my 2012, when I start driving from a stop, I also hear the whine which increases in pitch (and I believe then goes out of my hearing range). When I hit 30-40mph or so it gets quieter overall. (I don't have a 2nd noise like you do, or if I do, I can't hear it).

Try this: put your car in HOLD mode to get the engine running, then switch the L-Low mode and see if the sound is worse as you decelerate from 60mph. In my 2012, when the engine is running and I decelerate is when the sound is the worse and kind of makes my teeth ache.

I will try that.

Blog Entries

There are normal transitions that take place above 35 mph that you may be hearing. once you have reduced your acceleration, the car starts up the second electric motor (mgb) and slows down the first one (MGA). There are lots of spinning parts, all moving at differernt speeds, with some interactive harmonics. There are also sounds coming from the power block, normal power electronics sounds. You have much better hearing than I do. Many years ago a friend told me that when he thought his car was making a funny sound, he would turn up the radio- .... saved him a lot of repair shop trips and his car eventually rusted away before any mechanical failures.

Some people here have mentioned a faulty power inverter could cause high pitched frequencies. I think the high pitch is fairly common and I recall hearing it on a test drive but not on the one I purchased. I do have various high pitches that happen when accelerating hard but to me it is just normal electrical motor and electronics sounds and not something constant.
    Scott.

2013 Silver Ice Metallic, Jet Black Premium Trim, Bose Sound, Safety Pkg 1
    Sun Country Highway/Clipper Creek LCS-25 240v Charger
    Canadian Volt
    Best range so far - 73.2km
    http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1825

Advertisement

If you record and post the sound it might help other members to identify if as one they have heard from their own Volts.

KNS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text