GM: ELR aiming at BMW, not Tesla...
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM: ELR aiming at BMW, not Tesla...

Default GM: ELR aiming at BMW, not Tesla...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...o-bmw-6-series

This seems true. And as I alluded to in the comments section to the above article, price comparisons between the ELR and its ICE competitors should also take into account maintenance costs over the span of ownership. The ELR will probably be as well behaved as the Volt and, like the Volt, have high positive ratings among its owners.

Agree. To me an erev doesn't compete with any pure bev. Two different customers.
    Pete Foss
    GM R&D
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
    Agree. To me an erev doesn't compete with any pure bev. Two different customers.
    I think you're wrong on that. I think it's almost the same people, as witnessed by the significant number of folks who have have both. It's much more an EV/ICE divide than a BEV/EREV divide. Same customers, different vehicles. More like selling saws and drills to the same people than selling drills to one set of people and computers to another.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

The Tesla comparison has always seemed insane to me. Comparing a small, 2 door coupe which barely seats 2, with a car the size of a 7-series that can seat 7.

It's like I said, if you are wanting a sexy stylist coupe, you probably wouldn't be happy in a land yacht, and if you wanted a comfortable land yacht for the family, you probably wouldn't be happy in a compact coupe.

At least comparing the ELR to the 6-series makes a hell of a lot more sense in that regard, although it's hard to believe that a buyer who values efficiency at all would ever choose a 6-series.

I'm hoping the ELR will help to prove out a demographic of people who are looking for luxury and efficiency, and are completely under-served by current market offerings. Maybe it will help convince Mercedes they don't need to bump horsepower from 625 to 650 in the next AMG model, maybe invest a little bit more in targeting efficiency instead.

There was no attribution to an actual GM statement to that effect, so I take the claim in the article with a grain of salt. Plus, it makes no sense whatsoever. There are three things where the ELR stands out in that segment : styling / luxury, efficiency, performance, and price.

Styling / luxury - it's stellar...except when the ICE runs it shatters the peace and quiet found in EV mode.
    Efficiency - it's stellar.
    Performance - it's middling although the "feel" of EV can sometimes offset what the real numbers show.
    Price - it's way high. The 4 Series starts at $40k and tops out (with AWD) somewhere in the $55k-$60k range. Pretty much right where many of us have argued the ELR should be.

BMW 6 Series? Seriously? If GM really thinks that then they are living in some bubble. There's nothing to support that idea. The market, car reviews, and plain out metrics don't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by focher View Post
    BMW 6 Series? Seriously? If GM really thinks that then they are living in some bubble.
    I think you might be surprised. 6 series buyers are probably mainly looking for comfort and luxury, and the demographics of 6 series buyers probably nicely overall overlap with Cadillac demographics fairly well (that is to say: older, more mature, not necessarily looking for a fast sports car, value comfort over speed).

I wouldn't be surprised if the ELR ticked a lot of boxes of prospective 6 series buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by focher View Post
    it's stellar...except when the ICE runs it shatters the peace and quiet found in EV mode.
    Efficiency - it's stellar.
    "shatters"? I really wonder about this.

My Volt is pretty quiet overall. The ELR has more sound deadening and noise cancellation. It must be at least as quiet as my Volt, but likely more quiet. But I have no first hand experience.

Are the reviewers who are trumpeting the ICE sound level the same that said I should have bought a Cruze Eco instead of a Volt because they are "the same" car but the Cruze will cost less?
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 84,576 miles, 135 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 74%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1366 miles, 125
    MPG, 65% Electric, 33% gas, Saved 48 gal., 27 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by voltone View Post
    I think you might be surprised. 6 series buyers are probably mainly looking for comfort and luxury, and the demographics of 6 series buyers probably nicely overall overlap with Cadillac demographics fairly well (that is to say: older, more mature, not necessarily looking for a fast sports car, value comfort over speed).

I wouldn't be surprised if the ELR ticked a lot of boxes of prospective 6 series buyers.
    Yeah, ok. I guess GM is gonna have some blowout sales numbers versus their stated goals for the ELR.

The BMW 6 Series had an excellent first six months with sales climbing 35.4% to 14,012 units (prev. yr. 10,345).
    http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_bm...juni_2013.html

It appears the bubble is big.

Are you assuming the ELR will cannibalize 100% of 6 series sales? Clearly GM is not looking to completely destroy the 6-series and the ELR is not going to destroy the business case for BMW's 6 series and it certainly won't make BMW cancel all 6 series models past, present and future such that the 6-series nameplate is relegated to dismal failure in light of the incredible success story of the ELR.

In reality - it would probably be a success for GM if 5% of 6-series buyers switched over to Cadillac. That is sowing the seeds of word of mouth, brand loyalty, and conquest sales for many years in the future. That amounts to about 1500 buyers per year who would otherwise have chosen the BMW (assuming the 6 series sells 30k a year). A very reasonable figure and fits perfectly in line with GM sales estimates.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text