Volt software updates
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Volt software updates

Default Volt software updates

OK, there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to this topic so I'll start one. This thread is about updated software in the Volt. As I see it, that could include:

- status of software features / fixes to be rolled out to older Volts (e.g. MY 2011)
    - new features in newer Volts (e.g. MY 2012)
    - how exactly to get an update done, i.e. how to help your dealer get the right things out of the GM system

There was other discussion here (which I now can't find)

For starters, here's a list I've gathered from folks here on what has improved in the MY 2012 Volts, and which I assume will get backported to the MY 2011 Volts:
    - passive Key Fob unlocking the doors (perhaps requires 2012 hardware)
    - improved heater performance (clarification?)
    - not automatically turning on the radio when using other touchscreen functions

If there are specific posts discussing these items, please point me to them. Use the URL in the "number" (e.g. #1 for this post) in the upper right corner of the post.

chevrolet-volt-display.jpg
    Last edited by ChrisC; 08-03-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

I expect to see someone doing software mods to the Volt soon. Reprogramming the ECU in older GM vehicles is common now to gain more HP or save more gas by changing many variables encoded into its PROM. Should be similar with the Volt as soon as it becomes mainstream. I can even bet that the first item to change is the screen look, also known as "skins". That type of change doesn't modify the operations, but it is a start!
    Raymond
    No Volt or Bolt EV yet!

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed at 7.2 kW
    Registered EVSE at PlugShare
    Waiting for the first EV to charge!

@ChrisC, there is a thread here http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....e-2.0-Requests but I would love to see this resurrected. The requests captured as of end June were:

1) Do regular software updates, prefer either an OnStar download or a user upload with USB rather than having to go to the dealer...

Car Operations Safety & Security
    1) Add optional ICE lock-out on for the remote start feature for cars in garages
    2) Brake lights come on during heavy regen in Low mode to warn cars behind of rapid deceleration (like Tesla does).
    3) Automatically turn on headlamps if wipers are on intermittent for a more than a few seconds.
    4) Automatic pre-crash for cars with park assist (door locks, apply brakes, pre-tension belts)
    5) Teen mode that locks out distractions from infotainment system to keep at minimum necessary controls

Car Operations Fixes and Improvements
    1) Fix irregular turn signal sound and blinking
    2) Retain last driving model selected after car is shut down and restarted (or offer option to change default from Normal to Sport)
    3) Add a Hold Mode to defer electric driving as in Europe
    4) Automatic door unlock when key is in proximity
    5) ICE Eco Mode - "GM has the ICE "following" the accelerator to give a more normal user experience, if I'm trying for my best CS range I'd prefer the ICE run at (one of several?) optimum shelf speed if that's a more efficient mode of use for the ICE."
    6) Climate control to revert to previous state when defrost is turned off rather than reverting to comfort level
    7) Ability to set preconditioning climate settings to a different setting than "normal." For example, if Eco mode is the default on the car, be able to set the pre-conditioning to "comfort." Even better, the ability to set precondtioning to "comfort" if car is plugged in and set preconditioning to Eco if it is not.

Operations Management Tools
    1) Create option for more personalized displays and simulated analog gauges
    2) Add or make optional a KWH and % metering on the battery
    3) Real time amp meter (instantaneous watts and average watt-hours/mile)
    4) Optional tach for the ICE along with an instantaneous gas MPG display
    5) Downloadable detailed driving information to track teenage drivers (route and speed)

Nav and Infotainment Improvements
    1) Option to power off the radio and keep it off until driver "turns" it back on without also turning off the nav. (The volume button is not a power off button.)
    2) Fix Phone Commands so there is a top-level bluetooth command (e.g. Bluetooth Call rather than the long "handsfree" beep bluetooth beep voice beep etc.)
    3) Automatically pause audio source or radio when the NAV system starts speaking (radio goes to time-shift on the HDD, other audio sources just pause)
    4) Ability to switch between quickest, easiest, and shortest route while in route. Only way I've found to do it is to cancel the route and re-initiate it again.
    5) Ability to cancel a route by voice.
    6) Ability to customize sounds from uploaded files (start-up, chimes, etc.)
    7) Retain track order for CDs loaded to HDD
    8) Retain recorded audio and make them selectable via the HDD menu.
    9) Allow for automatic Daylight Savings Time clock updates (selectable for our friends in Arizona)
    10) Make at least some buttons user-programmable (e.g. Info., TP, AS, etc.).
    11) Same as #3 but when XM traffic comes on
    12) Allow user to turn off the horn chirp (or chirps) that sound when you plug in the car
    13) Enable Bluetooth music streaming from iphone
    14) Ability to reduce frequency or temporarily disable (snooze) weather alerts
    15) Fix USB eject requirement for ipod, etc. (either no need to eject or at least put eject button on a convenient screen)
    16) Ability to turn Nav Screen to off from re-programmed button (see #10 above)
    17) Set Nav to "monitor mode" instead of "guidance" so that you can set a destination, see where you are related to the route, but not get any turn by-turn guidance
    18) Include charging stations as a POI in next Nav update
    19) Sort weather alert list by distance or only show alerts within x number of miles
    20 Automatically adjust clock when driving across time zones (include message on screen to notify driver)
    21) Bluetooth - Allow two phones to be ‘active’ simultaneously
    22) Ability to select "less detailed" guidance, just enough so to remind you of major intersections

OnStar App / My Volt Improvements (probably deserves a new thread)
    1) Where's my Volt from smartphone app or myvolt
    2) Send maps directly from SmartPhone.
    3) Ability to open windows remotely (air out car on hot day)
    Black Volt # 1704
    Red Volt # 1680

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    - passive Key Fob unlocking the doors (perhaps requires 2012 hardware)
    I had asked VA Trevor about this in another thread, and he said there were no plans for GM to make an upgrade kit available to add passive unlocking to the 2011 Volt.
    #B2380, 2011 Crystal Red. Born 3/18/2011, adopted 4/9/2011
    #B2733, 2011 White Diamond. Born 4/4/2011, foster care 5/2/2011, adopted 11/29/2012
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SolarExec View Post
    @ChrisC, there is a thread here ... The requests captured as of end June were ...
    Thanks SolarExec for that massive compilation To be clear, all those were REQUESTS that you all had brainstormed in that thread.

What I was looking to itemize here was the ACTUAL changes that are part of the (rumored) software update.

I'll go read through that thread in case there's some info there about the update.

Thanks fishhawk for the confirmation.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

I would like to know if the Volt will display any album art. When playing songs from the HDD, the song titles cut off about 75% of the way across the screen. There's a nice square area there on the right that would display album art if it could be uploaded and recognized.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

What I was looking to itemize here was the ACTUAL changes that are part of the (rumored) software update.
    That's a VERY good question. Maybe our friend Trevor can confirm that (1) there is going to be an update (2) a bit of a hint on what it might include!
    Black Volt # 1704
    Red Volt # 1680

WOT mentioned this about software upgrades: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....1015#post61015

As of a few weeks ago, my dealer said that no upgrades were recommended for my Volt (#541). I've also read on this forum that, at this juncture, upgrades only are done for problems specifically identified by a Volt owner. (i.e., "Don't fix something that's not broken.")

There is a message (from WOT?) somewhere that gives a method you can use to find out what the level of each piece of software was in the Volt when it left the assembly line.
    Try this link: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....software+level
    Last edited by JohnK; 08-04-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Add link

12. Advertisement

I took my Volt in for a warranty fix in June (charge port door sensor failed) and when I got the car back I had a new feature on my nav. When getting onto an interstate highway instead of just showing the map, it now shows a list of the next 3 exits with distance and time to the exit. This never was there the previous 2 months of ownership. It is a cool feature since if you click on the exit it gives you a list of all the POIs near the exit. So I'm assuming I got some type of Nav software update while the car was in for the warranty fix.
    VIN#B-2018 - Took delivery on 3/31/11 Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text