Diesel Cruze coming in 2013
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Cruze coming in 2013

Default Diesel Cruze coming in 2013

It's not electric but it is a member of the family.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...-diesels_n.htm

General Motors will sell a diesel version of the Chevrolet Cruze compact car in the U.S., GM CEO Dan Akerson says. Planned for introduction in 2013, it would be the first Detroit passenger-vehicle diesel since the 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD sport-utility, and the first diesel car from Detroit since the 1980s. A U.S. diesel Cruze has been the subject of heavy speculation, but was unconfirmed until now. "I drove it the other day. It is great," Akerson said in an interview with USA TODAY. "These new diesels are quiet. Should make it in the low- to mid-40s, and that's with an automatic," the CEO said, referring to the likely fuel economy rating with an automatic transmission.
    The only U.S.-market compact car with a diesel now is the Volkswagen Jetta. With an automatic transmission, it is rated 30 mpg in town, 42 on the highway.
    Attached Images
    Only GM could make the Volt.
    Viridian Joule #1428
    08/12/2010 Order placed at dealership.
    03/15/2011 Vehicle delivered to customer

One thing about diesel driving is no involvement of Corn Ethanol. And hopefully they will support Biodiesel usage with the Cruze. With crop failures imminent in the corn-belt, ethanol price fluctuations and availability could be a problem. Since ethanol inclusion in gasoline has been mandated to be raised from 10% to 15%, a diesel high-mpg automobile fleet seems like a good solution. Works in Europe, could become a solution to some fuel usage problems here.

Be careful what you ask for. Biodiesel has a huge environmental downside too. Thousands of acres of forest in Southeast Asia have been cleared for monoculture oil nut plantations to feed biodiesel demand, particularly in Europe. This includes substantial endangered Orangutang habitat as I understand it. There is starting to be a big push back against this in Europe. I personally wouldn't use the stuff. There's no free lunch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

There is definitely "localization" of biodiesel sources where if you know the source of the brew, you can safely use it without knowing it was caused by damage. I think in the US, it tends to be either waste oils (cooking, fast food) or possibly seed farms intending on growing specifically for multi-purpose (cottonseed). Willie Nelson got into supporting some local Texas-based bio-fuel plants for truckers.

If I ever went diesel, which is a low probability, I would consider trying biodieself if I could identify the source of it. I assume they won't be shipping tankers over here to the states from troubled locations.

Worth a watch: http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/302/
    Last edited by bonaire; 07-22-2011 at 01:30 PM.

If the question is corn ethanol vs. biodiesel, from what I've read biodiesel is much better for the environment. That's cuz ethanol just takes too much energy to make in the first place. If cellulosic ethanol ever becomes a reality, then ethanol would become much more attractive. But in the meantime, I'd steer clear of E85.

And of course, both have concerns about land use and impacts on food prices. That's partly why I'm drawn to the Volt.

In researching bio fuels I cannot understand why governments, particularly Africa and Mexico are not supporting Jojoba (Jatropha?) plantations. Seems a no brainer for use of poor, dry land plus employment opportunitees. The oil can be used directly for deisel fuel. To me this makes a lot more sense than using food crops like corn or soy beans.

http://www.jatropha.de/
    Last edited by Xzlon; 07-23-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    VIN 483 Took Delivery 01/12/11
    (Xzlon = Lives in the forest)

This report claims the diesel Cruze may get over 50mpg highway...

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011...ld-get-51-mpg/

I think it's good that GM will offer several high-mileage power plants for the Cruze platform - Voltec, 40MPG gas, and diesel.
    Only GM could make the Volt.
    Viridian Joule #1428
    08/12/2010 Order placed at dealership.
    03/15/2011 Vehicle delivered to customer

I think the Cruze is a nice car and I am glad Chevrolet is building it..

12. Advertisement

Maybe the volt2.0 will use that powerplant for the generator. With a big battery for buffering, could run the diesel at optimum efficiency when in Range Entending mode, and not to to worry about the inefficient ranges. And then making your own bio-fuel would really be viable.. could make a 25 gallon batches and it would last months.
    BoultVolt Red 2011 #3745Hidden Content More freedom than electric.
    Personal best, Hidden Content

While I'm moderator my job there is to delete spam. To be clear, in my posts I'm speaking as myself. These views are my own and don't represent this board, my university, employer,etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text