240V Charging Station Newcomer needs help
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 240V Charging Station Newcomer needs help

Default 240V Charging Station Newcomer needs help

As a new Volt owner as of 11/08/2013 and a reader of this forum for just as long I need some help in choosing a 240V charging station.

I have looked at the following:
    Leviton
    Evr-Green 160 Level 2, 16A, 240V Electric Vehicle Charging Station, 3.8kW output, cord-connected (plug-in), EVB22-3PT
    Price: 799.00

Clipper Creek
    LCS-25, Level 2
    Price: 495.00

Voltec Charge Station from SPX(or GM)
    Price 490.00
    (should I be concerned that the coiled plug wire is 14 gauge)

Is there a clear cut choice, or maybe something I've overlooked. I have been doing fine with the supplied 120V charger, but a four hour charge certainly sounds inviting. I live about 45 miles north of Philadelphia in Bucks county so it can get pretty cold up here.

Thanks so much for your help !!

David

I went with the Clipper Creek as it met my needs, has great reviews and is not too expensive. I did not bother buying more than I needed. In the future if we get another EV, there is no guarantee that one of the current higher power (and more expensive) chargers is going to meet our needs.
    2013 Summit White

The Clipper Creek LCS-25 is a very nice unit and I have found it very reliable so far. I have seen the EVO level 2 on Amazon recently for $345 I think. I don't know anything about them, but the price is tempting. I wouldn't touch the GM version with a ten foot pole. Just my opinion.
    Ghostgs1 Joule B2690 Hidden Content
    Ghostgs2 Blackie E162612 Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Solar electric system, grid tie 11,150 watts
    Mitsubishi Mr. Slim heat pump
    EGO lawn mower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

I'd just say I've had no end of troubles with the plug provided with the Voltec, and that the curly cord really doesn't work out in my situation. But I've also had issues with another cord I replaced it with - but at least that one was well built enough to be repairable. I then went all the way and got an open-evse kit and use that now...it's more informative with the LCD that changes backlight color according to the state - you can get that from across the room, or walk up to it and read more info if you want, but you don't need to.

It adapted quite nicely to my solar system as well - I can just switch the power to the little supply on the evse to let my solar system "bang-bang" control when I charge so I only do it when there's power to spare. I used SSR's instead of the mechanical ones in their kit so dropping the relays is not an arcing situation should that happen before the car sees and reacts to the pilot signal going away. Works a charm.
    Volt #5014, White. All off grid solar powered. My sci-tech boards:
    Hidden Content

I don't really have a need for an L2 charger at home, because I have one at work.
    But from everything I've read here, stay away from the Voltec unit. They have a high failure rate soon after the warranty expires. The Clipper Creek seems to be the crowd favorite for the most part. It's relatively compact and can be portable, and I believe a 2 or 3 year warranty. It is also the best value.
    I haven't seen much about the Leviton units, but they are a reputable company, and it should be a reliable product.
    Love My Volt!

Blue Topaz, Black/Ceramic White Leather, Nav 2012
    New Hampshire

Well I don't want to jinx myself, but FWIW i have had a Voltec unit for 3 1/2 years and it works perfectly every day. OTOH the plug in unit sounds tempting if you already have a compatible 240v receptacle. Careful though, a lot of the older dryer outlets are for 3 prong plugs and it may not plug in without some upgrading.
    B1756 "Buy American, the job you save may be your own"

I went with Clipper Creek, here at work, when the Voltec unit crapped out at 2 months beyond it's 1 year warranty. The Clipper Creek has a 3 year warranty...even for a non-certified installer.
    2012 Blue Volt
    Voltstats.net: 2012-16084 (C-6084)
    Hidden Content
    In my garage charging (L1) for the 1st time on 24-Mar-12
    Typical Commute: 34 to 39 miles each way (Charging at Work on L2!)Hidden Content
    All-Time Best....55.4 eMiles on a single charge.

I have been very pleased with my Siemens Versicharger. The 2 year warranty was the longest available when I purchased (becoming more common?) and I appreciate the ability to delay charge 2,4,6,or 8 hours right on the unit itself. And, you can choose the cool green led lighting while charging if that appeals to you (gives the garage an otherworldly look)!
    No technical problems to date, either.

Quote Originally Posted by David B. Kelting View Post
    I went with Clipper Creek, here at work, when the Voltec unit crapped out at 2 months beyond it's 1 year warranty. The Clipper Creek has a 3 year warranty...even for a non-certified installer.
    ^^^^ +1 This
    I bought a pair of the LCS-25 for the warranty and the fact I didn't have to use Voltech's recommended electrician to get their warranty.
    2013 Cyber Gray, black leather, Safety package 1 and 17" 5 spoke aluminium wheels.
    ClipperCreek LCS-25 220V L2 EVSE at work and home.
    Old cars '06 Jetta TDI lifetime MPG 50.7, '11 Jetta TDI Lifetime MPG 47.2
    Hidden Content

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by drose View Post
    As a new Volt owner as of 11/08/2013 and a reader of this forum for just as long I need some help in choosing a 240V charging station.
    Welcome, David!

I ran out and bought a Voltec right away from the dealer (Cost me $700 by the way!), before I knew about this site (a dumb move on my part). Then, it sat in its box for more 9 months, because it took quite a while to get the wiring set up in the garage for it. The 110-volt charger worked fine all that time.

So, before you buy, figure out where you will connect it in your garage. If the wiring is there, then you are ok, but if you need to run wiring, find out the costs BEFORE you buy the EVSE unit.

Others here say the costs don't justify getting the L2 unit, but part of it is just the convenience of having it and being able to charge more quickly. In fact, I use mine to add a few miles to the drained battery if we want to run errands in the evening. The L1 unit just wouldn't charge enough for that.

And for costs, etc, I went ahead and added a dedicated meter here in Calif to take advantage of lower rates. Here's the info on that: PG&E Dual Meter Installation
    2013 Volt 21Nov2012, Silver Topaz Metallic___2014 Spark EV 31Jan2014, Electric Blue___Fresno, CA
    Hidden Content ___ Hidden Content ___ Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text