Diesel Cruze Rumors...what does it mean for Volt?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Cruze Rumors...what does it mean for Volt?

Default Diesel Cruze Rumors...what does it mean for Volt?

I've seen a lot of reports of GM bringing the diesel Cruze to the US. This opens up the obvious question: Would GM ever consider using the diesel engine as the range extender in the Volt?
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...to-sell-in-U.S.

After a little thought I suspect the answer is no.
    1) Increased cost of the diesel option
    2) May not be as well suited for start/stop applications like the Volt.
    3) Increased NVH
    4) More power and torque than needed for the Volt (about 100 hp and 100 lb-ft more than the current 1.4 engine)

Hmmm, now I'm thinking this would be a nice basis for an EREV truck powertrain.

Love it! The more easy options for lowering our fuel consumption, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    Love it! The more easy options for lowering our fuel consumption, the better.
    Amen. At the moment diesel is more expensive here than premium gas, so I don't know if the increased mileage will offset the increased cost. But that's obviously subjet to change without notice, and I agree that lower fuel consumption is good in any case. I could really get interested in a diesel Volt, if only for bragging rights reasons, LOL.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Park View Post
    Amen. At the moment diesel is more expensive here than premium gas, so I don't know if the increased mileage will offset the increased cost. But that's obviously subjet to change without notice, and I agree that lower fuel consumption is good in any case. I could really get interested in a diesel Volt, if only for bragging rights reasons, LOL.
    The only reason for that is the way fuel is taxed. It doesn't cost more than gasoline to produce. In Canada, diesel is a few cents cheaper than regular gasoline, and VW have been selling lots of their diesel cars here. A diesel Cruze that slightly undercuts the pricing for the Jetta TDI would sell extremely well here.

Diesel engines have higher compression and must be built tougher (heavier/more expensive). If you plan on using the Volt primarily as an electric, the extra weight to drag around for most of the time that it is not used, it would seem that diesel has a big downside. I could see it as option, possibly, for those who know they will drive lots of CS mode. I seriously doubt it would ever be standard, nor would most want it to be.

I would love a diesel range extender, but only if it could be made to run on alternatives. Bio-diesel and some other alt-fuels seem to be more inclined to a diesel engine.

I kind of hope they don't put this big diesel in the Volt. However, I would love for them to put a 2 or 3 cylinder diesel, natural gas or reg gas engine in the next gen car. I honestly think that you could get the Volt above 70mpg in charge sustain mode with a 1.0 liter diesel engine. Just think, that engine could sit run at 900-1100rpm for a majority of the time. Time to call Kubota up and work on that!!
    Yea, by the way, a mid-size SUV with the 4 cyl diesel would also be awesome!!

One of the things GM needs to do it is make a Volt that the ICE/Gen does not physically assist the drive train at all. Once the ICE is totally independent of the drive train, GM will be able to give us more options (natural gas, diesel, etc). I know the ICE GEN/Electric Drive Train thing was done for efficiency reasons, but they needs to get the electric drive train decoupled from whatever is used to extend the range.

Anyway the VOLT is a great first step.

The first generation of Smart Cars sold in Canada has an 800cc diesel engine. They were not excessively heavy and would be good for application as a generator. I don't think the US has the Smarts until the 1.0L gasoline engine came out, because the diesel did not comply with emissions regulation for all 50 states.

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggins View Post
    One of the things GM needs to do it is make a Volt that the ICE/Gen does not physically assist the drive train at all. Once the ICE is totally independent of the drive train, GM will be able to give us more options (natural gas, diesel, etc). I know the ICE GEN/Electric Drive Train thing was done for efficiency reasons, but they needs to get the electric drive train decoupled from whatever is used to extend the range.
    Why? Efficiency is what counts not the details. The Volt's transmission can be bolted to a different fuel engine at any point it makes sense to do so. Could we have used a different engine for the Volt? Sure, but what made sense today was to use the smallest engine we already made that could meet the output requirements of the vehicle and meet US emissions regulations.

Pete Foss GM R&D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text