Maryland HOV Sticker for Plug-in Cars
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maryland HOV Sticker for Plug-in Cars

Default Maryland HOV Sticker for Plug-in Cars

One of the perks to owning a Volt in Maryland, that came as a pleasant surprise to me, is that a law passed in May 2010 permits plug in vehicles to use the HOV lanes within the State. This encompasses two roads, 7.5 miles of US 50 between Washington, D.C. and Annapolis and 19 miles on I-270, a major route between Frederick and the Capitol Beltway. My usual commute with the Volt is fairly short, between my house and the Metro parking lot for the subway into DC. So, I don't usually get a chance make use of my HOV privilege. Nevertheless, the sticker that tumbled out with my new Maryland tags was a welcome surprise for me. I have not seen a photo of the actual sticker posted here so I thought I would include one with this post.

One minor dilemma, for me, was where to put the sticker. I had been pretty scrupulous about not having any dealer decals put on the car but decided to relent for the HOV sticker. I did not want to stick to my red paint so I put it on the black area of the hatch. It is odd that the HOV sticker is almost always mentioned by folks inspecting my car as a very desirable feature.
    Attached Images

I also just discovered that all plug-in vehicles in Ontario are assigned license plates with green lettering (contrary to the standard blue), entitling them to drive in the HOV lanes. The plate actually states "Green Vehicle" on it. The plate lettering appears as
    "EVAA 000", EVAA 001, EVAB 000" etc. When my Red 2012 arrives I will be equally thrilled to be able to take the HOV lanes. I knew there would be numerous advantages to owning a plug-in EV.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Red 2012 loaded. Build date, week of July 25, 2012

Hi rhellie - the Maryland HOV privilege is a great perk, though I much like you do not get to use itas much as I wish I could. I will say that if the sticker were good for more than just 2 years, it would actually make me think more seriously about moving to the country. For now, though, we stay.

That said, for my sticker, what I did is ordered a bumper sticker magnet. You can then put the "sticker" on the magnet and take the magnet on and off at will. Just google "bumper sticker magnet" to see what I mean. Much of that black section actually has metal in it, so a magnet will stick to it.

One of my reasons for doing this is I already have 2 other magnets on the back - US Flag, and Support Our Troops ribbon. Rolling around with 3 "stickers" all the time would take the aesthetics down a couple notches. The other reason I went with a magnet is that, much like you, I only need the HOV about 1x per month given where my work and home locations are.

By the way my sticker is #33. I tell my wife I'm either the 33rd smartest person in MD, or I'm 33rd away from being the dumbest. Hopefully, it's the former!

Thanks for the photo. The Volt looks great!
    Last edited by pavers123; 06-25-2011 at 11:45 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I also have a MD HOV sticker on my Volt. I do love it because it allows me to zip through the short but crowded stretch of the 270 spur after the American Legion Bridge and up 270N to the ICC.

Interesting story... On one rush hour trip last month I was cruising along in my car solo during a congested period. I was berated by three different HOV2+ vehicles that were motioning me out of the HOV lane -- they assumed I was just an HOV violator. These vigilante drivers tried everything to convince me to join the riff-raff in the slow lanes... One held up two fingers (to show that I needed another rider to join their precious lane), one made the hand signal for money out the window (rubbing the thumb and forefinger together) to illustrate the fine I would soon get, and one slowed to a crawl in front of me in order to discourage me from continuing in the left lane. None of them seemed to have the capacity to understand that my HOV sticker (two of them should have seen it after I pulled ahead of them) allowed me to join them in the lane.

Yep I'll say it again - those DC AREA drivers are nusto loco.

Actually your encounters with the vigilantes are one of the things in the back of my head. One would presume that people would eventually get the hint. One of the interesting things is that the Volt just looks so much like a regular car that even when the word gets out about electric cars being able to use HOV, people may still not "get it" that the Volt is an EV

I too have a Maryland HOV Sticker. Number 000013. Living in Northern Maryland, I have little to no opprotunity to take advantage of it. However, I like the idea of the bumper sticker magnet, so I'll go ahead and order one of these. I can really see the advantages of the HOV sticker around DC, but I'll bet lot of other drivers will give a lot of one finger salutes. Too bad, they'll have to learn to play by the rules.

Volt 63

Quote Originally Posted by pavers123 View Post
    Yep I'll say it again - those DC AREA drivers are nusto loco.

Actually your encounters with the vigilantes are one of the things in the back of my head. One would presume that people would eventually get the hint. One of the interesting things is that the Volt just looks so much like a regular car that even when the word gets out about electric cars being able to use HOV, people may still not "get it" that the Volt is an EV
    I know what you mean. I put my vanity plate [CHRGDUP] on two days ago and have had several people ask me about it at red lights and parking lots since, but very little attention before.
    I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Like rhellie I was surprised when I open my new registration and found my Maryland HOV sticker, number 000002. I have not put it one yet due to the dilemma mention above, but the magnetic sticker is a good idea. Since I don't usually drive in HOV areas this would allow one to use it as needed.

Any of these HOV's that hand out passes for plug in cars receive federal funding? If so, that would help our cause here in Houston.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Volt #947 Delivered on 2/25/11 -- Sold!
    240V Blink Installed 10/28/11 -- Returned!
    2011 Jaguar XF White
    2011 Jaguar XF Gray
    1998 Lotus Esprit V8 TT
    2004 Lamborghini Murcielago 6spd Manual Coupe

12. Advertisement

IMG_0069.jpg

Virginia handles this issue by placing a symbol on the license plate. The symbol you hopefully can see here on the left indicates that the car can be driven with only one occupant in all HOV lanes. If the symbol is on the right side, the rules are more complicated.

# 565

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text