Do you drive in Low or Standard Drive?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you drive in Low or Standard Drive?

Default Do you drive in Low or Standard Drive?

So, do you drive in low drive to recapture as much energy as possible, or just go for the standard drive? Anyone notice a big difference in range when driving in low drive?

Standard Drive (D) provides experience similar to regular ICE cars, when you let your foot of the accelerator, the deceleration is similar to that of regular vehicles; L mode maximizes energy regeneration, so the car's deceleration would be stronger. I used to think L mode's EV range would be similar to D mode, but after a few latest trial, I noticed that for non-highway travel, L provides better range, and I could harvest another 3 - 7 miles of range.

L's deceleration occasionally could jerk the vehicle a little, a little tipsy foot training would help. Other than that, the only drawback I see with L mode would be the deceleration needs little or no brake assistance, in the case when you slow down the vehicle without brake, so the vehicle behind you would not see brake light. Though I never experience any rear-end incident, I could see some unpleasant surprised facial expression in my rear mirror.
    2011 Volt #1158, Proud to be among the top 10 Hidden Content in Hidden Content , visit Hidden Content for my personal experience with my Volt.

Driven over 5000 miles and most in (L)ow. Wife and I went out running errands today and Father's day lunch. She drove and tried (L)ow for the first time and has various times before in (D)rive. Her transition and comfort with it was about 5 minutes. Nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Always in "L" for me... Being a physics instructor, I like that the "accelerator" pedal is just that - both positive and negative acceleration! It just seems to make sense and has the right feel to it (you'd think that Apple designed it!)
    Ron
    Volt Vin #1873

Always in low. I have always changed my own brake parts, so I don't like to wear them out. Be careful when you try to drive a regular ICE car though. I took my foot off the gas pedal on our mini-van last night and nearly rear ended the car in front of me. I guess I should have bought 2 Volts eh?
    VOLT # B-1276

Quote Originally Posted by tangentlin View Post
    Standard Drive (D) provides experience similar to regular ICE cars, when you let your foot of the accelerator, the deceleration is similar to that of regular vehicles; L mode maximizes energy regeneration, so the car's deceleration would be stronger. I used to think L mode's EV range would be similar to D mode, but after a few latest trial, I noticed that for non-highway travel, L provides better range, and I could harvest another 3 - 7 miles of range.

L's deceleration occasionally could jerk the vehicle a little, a little tipsy foot training would help. Other than that, the only drawback I see with L mode would be the deceleration needs little or no brake assistance, in the case when you slow down the vehicle without brake, so the vehicle behind you would not see brake light. Though I never experience any rear-end incident, I could see some unpleasant surprised facial expression in my rear mirror.
    I bet those snide faces happened on 123 in Vienna with all those red lights! DC drivers always have an attitude.

Anyway, I take a combined approach to D and L, but I have my concerns about it. Basically I drive in "D" most of the time, but when I'm coming to a red light I flip it into LOW. The reason for this is that (at least according to the console) D will also re-capture energy when you're coasting so no need to be in L all the time. Perhaps it's not recapturing as much as L, but my problem with rolling around in L all the time is that the second I let up on the accelerator, the decelration begins and its substantial even at 25 mph. I don't *always* want to decelerate. Sometimes the situation requires me to quasi-coast as D lets me do. With L it feels like you *HAVE* to have your foot on the accelerator (wasting energy) for the sake of not rapidly decelerating. YOu can't really just coast with only a slight degredation in speed.

The only time I drive exclusively in LOW is when I'm literally in bumper to bumper traffic.

My 1 concern about this combined mode driving is the possibility of wearing out whatever mechanisms there are that toggle you between D and L.

What I'm really looking forward to though is driving up to Pittsburgh this summer and watching how much energy I can recapture as I coast down some of the mountains.

L all the time. I expect my brakes to last 100,000 miles or more.

Volt#671
    NPNS!

Always "L" unless it's freeway driving without traffic. Then it's "D". I think the positions should be switched since when you start out you're invariably on surface streets where "L" makes more sense.

Pavers123 -- no worries about shifting between "L" and "D". WOT has said it won't present any wear issues. So shift away. (You might want to search for this, it's in another thread).

Quote Originally Posted by pavers123 View Post
    I bet those snide faces happened on 123 in Vienna with all those red lights! DC drivers always have an attitude.

Anyway, I take a combined approach to D and L, but I have my concerns about it. Basically I drive in "D" most of the time, but when I'm coming to a red light I flip it into LOW. The reason for this is that (at least according to the console) D will also re-capture energy when you're coasting so no need to be in L all the time. Perhaps it's not recapturing as much as L, but my problem with rolling around in L all the time is that the second I let up on the accelerator, the decelration begins and its substantial even at 25 mph. I don't *always* want to decelerate. Sometimes the situation requires me to quasi-coast as D lets me do. With L it feels like you *HAVE* to have your foot on the accelerator (wasting energy) for the sake of not rapidly decelerating. YOu can't really just coast with only a slight degredation in speed.

The only time I drive exclusively in LOW is when I'm literally in bumper to bumper traffic.

My 1 concern about this combined mode driving is the possibility of wearing out whatever mechanisms there are that toggle you between D and L.

What I'm really looking forward to though is driving up to Pittsburgh this summer and watching how much energy I can recapture as I coast down some of the mountains.
    This is exactly how I drive my Volt too. "D" is more natural to me and I do like to coast where appropriate. I have learned to "coast" when in low by watching the power flow display and put just enough gas on to "coast" and but to also keep it in brake regeneration mode. However, with WOTs input being key, if there is no danger of breaking something with repeated use, I think I will stick with driving in "D" and using "L" when I know I will need to stop quicker and don't want to use the brakes much/if at all.

This to me seems to be the most efficient way to drive the Volt, however, I have seen a comment from Tony Posawatz that said just put it in L and that will be the most efficient. I obviously would trust Tony's empirical view more than my own subjective view, however, my gut reaction is that he said it because L is more efficient than just using D and GM probably wouldn't want it to generally be known that the most efficient way to drive is to keeping shifting back and forth because most people wouldn't want to do that.

I actually enjoy doing and think I'm doing it the most efficient way but I'm probably in the minority.

12. Advertisement

L for me. It's just more fun
    Volt# 3960

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text