GM Volt Forum banner

Anyone use the GM Credit Card points toward their volt? Curious if the savings work.

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rperich 
#1 ·
Volt family, received another GM card offer in the mail, 5% off the first $5,000 then 2% unlimited. The points NEVER go away which for me was a good selling point. Any experiences, good or bad. Or like I heard Toyota does, just steal the points during negotiations?

#4 ·
I had $1532 worth of points. They let me apply them all to the Volt purchase, even though the advertised limit on the GM Card web site was $1,000. No hassle. This is the third car I have bought with GM Card points. The best was a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT when I had $4,000 worth of points.

#6 ·
I negotiated my deal 1st, then took out my 2 gm company cards. 1 had 1845 points the other 795. The dealer put it through and it was accepted with a confirmation #. The next day got a call from the general manager that they were not allowed to combine points but they didn't want to lose the deal so he took of $795 from the original deal. After all said and done ended up close to $13k under MSRP. Hopefully I will be able to use the whole $7500 tax credit also.

#7 ·
I've used my GM card points on three different GM vehicles. The redemption process is very easy and is done after you have agreed on a price.

The version of GM card that I have the points do not expire and I get 5% back on everything that I spend. There is a redemption allowance that GM establishes for each car. FYI, at the time I only could use 1k on CTS-V, 3k on the Escalade Hybrid (plus they gave me another 1500) and only 1k on my Volt. These redemption allowances change periodically.

#8 · (Edited)
I was going to post on this subject but never got around to it.

I was on the GM Card site recently and noticed that they recently changed the terms.

My card that is only a few years old earns at 5% and is subject to the redemption limits that are NO LONGER shown on the GM Card site. Plus my point DO expire! https://www.gmcard.com/gmcard/vehicles/chevrolet

However if I log in it still shows the redemption limits so they are still in place for those of us with the last generation GM card.

The NEW Gm Card has removed the redemption limits (this is the way the card used to be) plus the points do not expire as the OP pointed out. The bad part is they lowered the earning rate so it will take longer to build up the points.

It says you can switch if you call in. I think I will as it will be a few years before we need a new car so the lower earning rate is fine, but the lack of expiration coupled with the lack of a redemption limit are winners in my book!

Here is the link:
https://www.gmcard.com/?cd=common

BTW I used $925.88 when I bought my 2014 Volt:)

Well I just did it. I called in and switched to the new "GM Elite" card as opposed to my old "GM Platinum" card.

He did not say what would happen to my accumulated points, and as they are so low I did not care to ask.
He did say I would be getting a new card number so I will need to re-register on the GM Card site and update any accounts that I pay with this card.
He also said that my current card will remain active until I receive and activate the new one.

All is good; with a phone call my terms have just improved to my liking, COOL!

#9 ·
I was able to use 1000 points on my 2011 even though it wasn't mentioned in the GM Card rewards listing.

#10 ·
I have the really old GM Card. We get 5% back on all purchases and are allowed to get $500 accumulated every year. I can also accumulate $3500 over seven years and can use all of that toward the purchase of any GM product. But they changed that a while back. The company keeps trying to get me to change it, but I won't do it. Over the last four cars, we've used well over $12000 in down payment.

My suggestion is to not even let the dealer know you have the points. Make your best deal and then give them your card info. I used my credit to put down $2300 on the MY2013 I purchased back in August. That, plus the $5000 rebate and $3800 off MSRP meant I got my $44K car for $33K. Add in the $7500 tax credit and $3915 Illinois EV rebate brought my total outlay to $21,500. Such a deal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.