Reduced battery performance/range
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: Reduced battery performance/range

This suggestion has Also been pounded to death - but make sure that you have the auto defrost set Off (it's On by default). Makes a huge difference.

That said, it Hasn't been cold enough yet up here to really bring the AER down as far as you say, not from just the temperature at least. Watch the energy data page (center screen) and verify that you are still getting the 10.5 Kw of energy (more or less) out of the battery when it completely depletes (after a screen reset at the conclusion of a full charge). Just in case something is going on there.

Unlikely that you have a battery or charging problem, Very unlikely, but verifying the amount of energy that the battery delivers is simple enough..
    2015, Brownstone/Pebble/Premium, purchase 6/15/2015
    2013 #01800, Silver, purchase on 8/3/2012
    As an Engineer - what's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by GRussell View Post
    Hi Ziv, Pepperish, & firehawk -
    Thank you for your reply... especially since it's been kicked to death. My apologies... somehow searching for "reduced" "battery" "performance" "range", etc. and wading through the 1st 5 pages didn't find what I was looking for.
    No problems Glenn. The search function on the site "leaves something to be desired". LOL

FYI there is a little box at the bottom of a thread which gives a list of related threads. Sometimes this is better than search but the Catch 22 is that you have to post before you can see it.

The whole weather thing can catch you by surprise even if you know it's coming. Where I am we only see a 10F swing between the July and January highs but the range estimate started dropping a week or so ago and it got my attention. Even two winters wasn't enough to make the routine ingrained and it took me a minute to remember. Those lovely high mileage estimates are hard to give up.

If this makes you feel better, Argonne is testing the Volt battery for the DOE. So far the Volt battery, like all batteries, has lost capacity. However, performance, including range and acceleration, has stayed exactly the same. That should continue for many years and even at what is technically battery EOL you should still have electric range.

You should also make use of cabin pre-conditioning. Since you have a 240V EVSE, it can keep up and reduce the need to use the heater. Remember to set climate back to fan only with low fan speed to keep it warm inside. Ice ECO if it is really cold. Set the climate controls to Comfort the night before. If you are set to fan only, pre-conditioning will do nothing but run the fans.
    2012 Silver Ice Metallic - C4463

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Beware the auto-defog. Even when you turn it off, climate stays on and could be at 40%+

So make sure you go back to the climate screen and notch the fan to zero
    '12 Chevy Volt Topaz Blue "Oppy", 49k EV miles (91%) >400 mpg lifetime
    Longest trips: 988 mi @ 49 mpg (46 MPGe), 530 mi @ 69 mpg (57 MPGe), 420 mi @ 71 mpg (59 MPGe)
    Hidden Content "Hall of Fame": 10,214 mi 1 tank; 130 EV mi 1 day; 2574 mi no gas
    My other car (the gas guzzler): '08 Toyota Prius Driftwood Pearl "Prity", 150k miles, 44 to 47 mpg
    Hidden Content

even if you do not run the electric cabin heater in the cold the Electric battery heater will run automaticly and reduce yor range, other factors will also reduce your cold weather range.

See our FAQ on this reduced battery mile estimate concern: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....-50-s.-Problem
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

I've seen a reduced AER of about 3 to 5 miles over the past few weeks and I have not used any heat...yet. I think that as the temperature goes down, the air becomes denser and it will takes more energy to move through it. How much? I have no idea. Does anyone have any type of information regarding this? My gut feeling is that it is more than insignificant, at least based on my Volts performance in cooler/cold weather.
    2012 Blue Volt
    Voltstats.net: 2012-16084 (C-6084)
    Hidden Content
    In my garage charging (L1) for the 1st time on 24-Mar-12
    Typical Commute: 34 to 39 miles each way (Charging at Work on L2!)Hidden Content
    All-Time Best....55.4 eMiles on a single charge.

Quote Originally Posted by David B. Kelting View Post
    I think that as the temperature goes down, the air becomes denser and it will takes more energy to move through it. How much? I have no idea. Does anyone have any type of information regarding this?
    Cold air is indeed more dense, which translates into more resistance to motion, which in turn increases the amount of power needed by a car to cut through it. Colder air will also lower tire pressure, resulting in less mpg. Colder air causes people to use the heater and defrosters more, which also reduce mileage. Colder air is often accompanied by wet weather, which can increase resistance as well as reducing tire grip and cause energy wasting traffic snarls. Colder weather affects the lubricants as well, making them thicker, again increasing resistance to motion. Gasoline grades can also change with the weather. Dense air causes the ICE to use more fuel as well.

For the same distance and route traveled, all of these add up to more power needed in cold weather than warm. And that is seen as fewer miles from the battery.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

ChevyVoltColdWeatherTips.pdf

Hopefully this will help!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service
    If you have any further questions feel free to contact the
    Chevrolet Customer Care Team:
    (800) 222-1020
    Chevrolet Customer Care Hours:
    Monday - Friday 9AM to 9PM EST.
    Closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

Great info here. You guys are the best! Thanks again guys.
    -Glenn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text