Electric Parking Brake - a) 12v b) use while moving c) auto unlock
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Electric Parking Brake - a) 12v b) use while moving c) auto unlock

Default Electric Parking Brake - a) 12v b) use while moving c) auto unlock

Things that may not be obvious about the EPB in maroon - scottf200 via the manual

The vehicle has an Electric Parking Brake (EPB). The P switch is on the center stack. The EPB can always be activated, even if the vehicle is off. To prevent draining the 12‐volt battery, avoid repeated cycles of the EPB system when the vehicle is off.

In case of insufficient electrical power, the EPB cannot be applied or released.

Before leaving the vehicle, check the Electric Parking Brake Light to ensure the parking brake is applied.

EPB Apply
    The EPB can be applied anytime the vehicle is stopped. The EPB is applied by momentarily lifting up on the P switch. Once fully applied, the Electric Parking Brake Light will be on. While the brake is being applied, the Electric Parking Brake Light will flash until full apply is reached. If the light does not come on, or remains flashing, have the vehicle serviced. Do not drive the vehicle if the Electric Parking Brake Light is flashing. See your dealer.

If the EPB is applied while the vehicle is in motion, a chime will sound, and the DIC message RELEASE PARKING BRAKE will be displayed. The vehicle will decelerate as long as the switch is held in the up position.

Releasing the switch during the deceleration will release the parking brake. If the P switch is held in the up position until the vehicle comes to a stop, the EPB will remain applied.

If the Electric Parking Brake Light flashes continuously, the EPB is only partially applied or released, or there is a problem with the EPB. The DIC message SERVICE PARKING BRAKE will be displayed. If this light flashes continuously, release the EPB, and attempt to apply it again. If this light continues to flash, do not drive the vehicle. See your dealer.

If the Service Electric Parking Brake Light is on, the EPB has detected a system problem and is operating with reduced functionality.

To apply the EPB when this light is on, lift up on the P switch and hold it in the up position. Full application of the parking brake by the EPB system may take a longer period of time than normal when this light is on. Continue to hold the P switch until the Electric Parking Brake Light remains on. If the Service Electric Parking Brake Light is on, see your dealer. If the EPB fails to apply, the rear wheels should be blocked to prevent vehicle movement. For maximum EPB force when parking on a hill, pull the EPB switch twice.

EPB Release
    To release the EPB, place the vehicle in ON/RUN, apply and hold the brake pedal, and push down momentarily on the P switch. If attempting to release the EPB without the brake pedal applied, a chime will sound, and the DIC message STEP ON BRAKE TO RELEASE PARK BRAKE will be displayed. The EPB is released when the Electric Parking Brake Light is off.

If the Service Electric Parking Brake Light is on, the EPB has detected a system problem, and is operating with reduced functionality. To release the EPB when this light is on, push down on the P switch and hold it in the down position. EPB release may take a longer period of time than normal when this light is on. Continue to hold the P switch until the Electric Parking Brake Light is off. If the light is on, see your dealer.

Notice: Driving with the parking brake on can overheat the brake system and cause premature wear or damage to brake system parts. Make sure that the parking brake is fully released and the Electric Parking Brake Light is off before driving.

Automatic EPB Release
    The EPB will automatically release if the vehicle is running, placed into gear, and an attempt is made to drive away. Avoid rapid acceleration when the EPB is applied, to preserve parking brake lining life.

Quote Originally Posted by scottf200 View Post
    TThe EPB can always be activated, even if the vehicle is off. To prevent draining the 12‐volt battery, avoid repeated cycles of the EPB system when the vehicle is off.
    I believe this statement to be technically incorrect, especially as the manual then goes on to describe applying, releasing, and automatically releasing the EPB.

The EPB can *not* be activated to release the brake while the vehicle is off (I just tried it, to confirm my recall). I didn't try it just now, but it's my recall that it can be activated to apply the brake while the vehicle off.

Of slight annoyance, the EPB can't be released while the vehicle is booting either. The EPB *can* be released while in service mode, so that's a good way to wear down your AGM if you really want to.

So it seems in an emergency you have to hold the EPB in the up position otherwise it will automatically release because the car is in gear. Hope I can remember this if I'm ever in an emergency. How do you modulate the amount of pressure? With an ordinary mechanical handbrake you can easily lock-up the rear tires, does the EPB not apply enough pressure to do this, or does it somehow know to not apply too much pressure? Perhaps the ABS tells it if the rear wheels are locked. Seems awful complicated for my poor old brain.

I love my Volt, but I think the EPB is overkill. I think the old mechanical handbrake is more reliable, and easier to use, particularly in an emergency. Just my 2 cents.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    The EPB can *not* be activated to release the brake while the vehicle is off (I just tried it, to confirm my recall). I didn't try it just now, but it's my recall that it can be activated to apply the brake while the vehicle off.
    Confirmed as well when I went out for an errand tonight. You can engage EPB when the car is off but you can not disengage it (that I found). I could engage it twice ... meaning it seemed to "tighten" somewhat and then I hit it again and it "tightened" more. I supposed a kid could keep pressing it and it may try to continue to "tighten" using 12v power.

Quote Originally Posted by larry4pyro View Post
    So it seems in an emergency you have to hold the EPB in the up position otherwise it will automatically release
    So in 30+ years of driving I've never used that brake for an emergency maneuverer ... only goofing around as teenager.

The EPB does work (stop car) when you are moving forward in gear. I did this at 10mph tonight on my errand. I'm I was going 60mph I suspect it would just "slow" me to a stop.

If you EPB while your foot's on the accelerator, does it kill the motor? I've tried stomping the brakes with my foot on the accelerator, and that didn't kill the motor. I haven't tried standing on both, but I've heard that should kill the motor. Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    If you EPB while your foot's on the accelerator, does it kill the motor? I've tried stomping the brakes with my foot on the accelerator, and that didn't kill the motor. I haven't tried standing on both, but I've heard that should kill the motor. Yes?
    I was going at about 10mph when I applied the elect parking brake and it stopped the car but it kept running (started). Give it a try at a slow creep (ie. 5-10mph). Let's dispel the myths!

I've used the emergency brake before for an actual emergency. The hydraulic brakes busted a rubber hose. Probably saved my life. It was the only way I could get the car stopped while going down highway.

Quote Originally Posted by tony6777 View Post
    I've used the emergency brake before for an actual emergency[in a past vehicle]. The hydraulic brakes busted a rubber hose. Probably saved my life. It was the only way I could get the car stopped while going down highway.
    Since I always drive in L(ow) that would slow me (or you) down as well. Low won't stop you completely but down to a crawl given enough time.

Aside: GM-Volt blog on non-EPB http://gm-volt.com/2010/07/23/chevro...brake-testing/
    Last edited by scottf200; 05-22-2011 at 06:37 AM.

12. Advertisement

Very informative. Many thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text