GM Volt Forum banner

Center Console Redesign

15K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Slapshot28 
#1 ·
"Just a little bit of restraint would have gone a long way in making the Volt’s infotainment system more intuitive. As proof, I’ve created a better solution in five minutes with Photoshop."

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/fix-chevrolet-volt-10447.html

I have no personal experience (yet), but the before and after images help explain his suggestions.

#3 ·
The lack of a mechanical parking brake worries me actually. I've had to use it before in a past vehicle when a hydraulic line in my brake system ruptured. I've been meaning to simulate an emergency in the Volt to determine how it responds while traveling down the road. Also, I can't help but wonder if you had a kid in the front seat who thought it would be a good idea to flick the little switch while traveling at break-neck speed down the interstate... What would happen? This is going to happen at some point to somebody!

#4 ·
The center console issue is both simple and very complex. Yes, there are too many buttons, buttons in illogical places and groupings, buttons that simply don't need to be there (e.g., the TP button, used twice a year by most and a duplicate of functionality available in the Config menu set). But the real issue is much deeper.

If you're the only person available to work the center console controls, it is nearly impossible to do much of anything important with the center console unless you take your eyes from the road. Or work very, very hard to figure out a systematic way to find things without looking, without accidentally touching an extra button, and without hitting the wrong button.

There's no benign tactile feedback: as soon as you even brush any of the touch-sensitive buttons, you activate that button. The top row isn't too bad, but even in that row it's very hard to find the fan control buttons reliably without looking. Going after the rear window defroster? There's a good chance you'll hit the fan control unless you glance at the panel. Yes, I really do want to be able to change where the air's going, how much of it is coming in, and its temperature without looking. In every car I've had previously (extended "had previously" to include cars that were primarily my wife's ride), that's been easy.

There are too many distractions while driving anyway: billboards, phone calls, pretty energy flow animations, traffic warnings.

This isn't just the Volt, either: it's a trend in newly designed interiors, it seems. Too bad the car industry doesn't seem to be paying much attention to the human factors research, development, and real experience from, for example, aviation systems designs (including cockpits as well as air traffic control radar facilities).

I really do like my Volt. I think GM has done an absolutely superb job on the car, the powertrain, the entire package. But the center console is just horrible, and Eric Tingwall's referenced "cleanup" won't really give the car what it should have.

#13 ·
I totally agree. I have problems with the heated seats and the HVAC system coming on seemingly totally on their own when I push buttons to activate other features. Maybe it's just because I brush against them accidentally, but I don't think so. I too love the car, but the center stack, not so much, LOL.

#5 ·
Have someone send that new console layout to GM. There may be still enough time to clean up the 2012 year model console before manufacturing begins.

Raymond

#6 ·
Can someone explain to me WHY I have to set the clock twice a year ?

The car has Onstar, they can send directions to the Nav why not the time. This is a pet peeve of mine, when you have as much electronics as I have having to set the clock twice a year is a royal pain.

#7 · (Edited)
I agree the center stack is too complex. I often find my self hunting for a button while driving, which isn't a good thing. Just entirely too busy of a layout.

I would gladly give up some of the buttons in exchange for a way to switch between fan-only and eco without going to the touch screen. In the mornings, it's cool enough to use just the fan, but after I leave work, I would really like it in eco mode. I find myself putting the car in reverse, which turns on the backup camera, then I remember to change the climate settings, but I can't do that because the backup camera is on.

I firmly believe you put buttons on the console for those few things frequently used, and likely to be used while driving. The rest can go on the screen.

And no, I have not yet used the TP button (reminds me of an abbreviation for toilet paper) :confused:

#10 ·
Why would you have to re-set the clock in the Volt? Why would GM not keep the clock set properly from the satellite signal. My 2009 Honda Accord EX-L w/ Navigation keeps the clock on the correct time from time zone to time zone and daylight savings time changes. I never have to touch the clock settings and don’t even know if you can. Why would GM not do the same? I don’t have a Volt yet, so I don’t know what all it can and can’t do.

#14 ·
Why would you have to re-set the clock in the Volt? Why would GM not keep the clock set properly from the satellite signal.
This is one of my bigger pet peeves about the Volt. The GPS knowns when it is, and where it is. There's NO reason for the clock to not be self setting. The OnStar system not only knows when it is (it's a requirement of the cellular standard) it even knows the time zone of the base station it's tracking.

There's no excuse for the radio's clock to be free running.

I have problems with the heated seats and the HVAC system coming on seemingly totally on their own when I push buttons to activate other features. Maybe it's just because I brush against them accidentally, but I don't think so.
And my other major pet peeve, all in the same note thread! It's ridiculously easy to accidentally very lightly touch the "auto" button at the top of the stack. Yup, it does exactly what you describe. It's possible to avoid it, but it takes some major "user modification".

#12 · (Edited)
For me it needs to more more like an iPhone. Put a few physical buttons such as (Climate, Nav, Infotainment, etc) and the majority buttons on the touch screen. Isn't the purpose of a touch screen to eliminate physical buttons? When one presses the climate button, the touch screen should change to climate display with all the climate related buttons the touch screen.

Maybe even have a default display so a driver can put the most used buttons on the touch screen (volume up, down, temperature up down, etc). Or maybe some smarts so the systems automatically puts a driver's most used buttons on a default screen.

GM also nees to add skins to the display.

#15 ·
I agree that the buttons are tuchey, but check unter the climate controle to see if the auto seat heater function is on for eather seat.

I am going to start learnig to use the voice commands for as many functions as I can, to avoid touching the console as much as possible.

I also agree aboout the clock setting.

One other frustration that I have is with the lack of ability to edit the album and track names on the HD, I have older CD's recorded that read as disk 1, disk 2 ect. and track 1 track 2 ect.

#16 ·
Rusty,

Well maybe that's my problem, LOL. We had a pretty serious warm spell here a couple of weeks ago. At least twice on 90 degree plus days I felt my butt getting HOT. Imagine my surprise when I looked down and saw the driver's side heated seat turned on to max. Go figure.

#17 ·
marlow,

I keep turning the auto seat heater off now, but it must come back on every time you restart the car or something. I wish there was a way to just turn the whole climate function OFF until I want it on again. It's all "too clever by half" IMHO. How about a nice big toggle switch on the dash, LOL? I'm starting to fantasize about getting behind the dash with a pair of wire cutters, hahaha.

#18 ·
Hate touch buttons on cars and remote controls, I like to be able to find them from feel. Hated touch buttons on my ipod 3g, didn't always register a touch and eventually failed. It's fine using touch screen for complex stuff you'd do while parked (setting charging schedules, inputting phone numbers, addresses into the nav), and rarely used functions, but for common stuff you'd adjust while driving like fan speed, toggling climate modes/AC/defrost, radio presets/audio source, I'd much prefer big old fashioned knobs and physical buttons. At least the steering wheel controls help with the radio stuff.

#19 ·
This is what I am absolutely least excited about in the volt. After driving my current infernally complicated button heavy 6 figure techno barge. I am excited about every aspect of the volt but the gimmicky looking buttons and complete lack of a well designed user experience has me concerned. I have test driven one, and will still buy one, but that is still what I think I will probably like the least about the car. I really miss the days of being able to drive and operate the car by memory of where the buttons and knobs are without taking your eyes off the road.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE technology but I just don't like the way it is implemented in most cars today. Especially the tech heavy ones.

#28 ·
I think the center console works just fine, looks great, and has the evolution in touch that more customers are going to ask why doesn't my car have that. I think it will be more vocal in the youth market cars.

It was a definite change from other cars when I first got in the car. But in a few minutes it was like wow, I like the touch buttons. After a couple weeks I would not want to change it and know all the touch switches. I also like the mono color too, at night it gives off a great appearance too. The other nice thing about no physical moving switches is that the center stack is easy to clean.

So there are lot of possibilities and many potential designs as to how to do it different. But the direction they took and made every other car look very archaic is just one more reason that this total car sets a new standard and a higher bar than the rest of the industry. Just look how old the "new" Prius and Leaf controls look next to the new segment leader Volt!

#29 ·
Each to his own. But to me, safety and convenience are more important than how slick something looks.

However, I have to say even though I'm picky about the center console (and I am being very picky), I find little else to pick on. Very happy with this car.

#30 · (Edited)
Actually, I think the Volt console is safer than the controls on many cars from the last 10 years or so. Particularly systems like iDrive (the big wheel) that require "drilling down" various levels are a problem. They require way to much visual attention, in my opinion.

I much prefer the single glance/touch approach of the Volt. And I like old (simple) cars, where you just pound some big button to get the job done. Newer cars have so many more features that big old buttons don't work any more. That's a good thing!

#31 ·
The center console is the area in my car that gets the majority of negative comments from passengers. I am talking about scientist and engineer passengers.....

There are simply too many buttons. The driver must often verify which button to press by looking at it, and thereby take the eyes off the road. Any function that does not need to be accessible BY THE DRIVER "while in motion" needs to be removed from the panel. Period.

And all the selections need to be moved further away from the touch screen. I have lost count how many times I have tried to make a selection on the touch screen and heard the "click" from one of the buttons along the top row.

Ken #1228

#35 ·
And all the selections need to be moved further away from the touch screen. I have lost count how many times I have tried to make a selection on the touch screen and heard the "click" from one of the buttons along the top row. Ken #1228
You should use the ledge to hold your hand up and use your index or other finger to press the touch screen areas. I do this ALL the time after hitting climate the 1st/2nd day.
Vehicle Car Electronics Multimedia Technology

Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device Satellite radio

Vehicle Car Technology Electronics Electronic device

#38 ·
Surely the Volt's controls can be improved. I think the article posted here by Steverino, the thread-starter, has the right idea: simplify/improve the current design. Nevertheless, in my opinion and for the most part, the Volt's center console is sleek, safe, and efficient.

Bear in mind that the Volt center console controls several major devices and functions:

- Climate Control (including seat heaters)
- Radio/CD/DVD
- HDD (a big step forward, IMHO)
- Navigation
- Phone and PhoneBook
- Efficiency/Power Monitoring
- Battery Charging/Scheduling
- General Car Configuration
- Much more (Start, Drive Mode, Door Locks, Parking Brake, Flashers, etc)

No matter how you slice it, this is a boatload of capabilities to pack into a car, let alone design into one more-or-less-intuitive, easy-to-control, and safe (!) user interface. That is the objective after all.

BTW, I purposely have not included all the driver-side functions (speed, mileage, cruise-control, OnStar, etc, etc, etc). Perhaps the Instrument Panel Overview drawing (below) from the Volt User Manual provides a sense of the daunting design challenge/complexity.

I also included images of the center stack from two other cars: a 2010 Ford Fusion and a 2010 Aston Martin Rapide. I'll take the Volt center console, thank you very much!

From Wikipedia: iDrive has caused significant controversy among users, the automotive media, and critics. Many reviewers of BMWs in (automobile) magazines disapprove of the system. Criticisms of iDrive include its steep learning curve and its tendency to cause the driver to look away from the road too much.

Yes, no doubt, the Volt's center console can be improved (e.g., bury the AS1-2 and TP buttons, make the Pause button persistent so it becomes a Radio On/Off, and save a Default Drive Mode for folks who prefer Sport).

But GM engineers and designers deserve a lot of credit for having the courage to build a brand new interface. No question, the Volt's center console accomplishes a great deal. You just can't deny it.

IMHO, it is elegant and most of GM's decisions were superb.

Chris
Volt #541
Never again an iDrive...

Attachments

#39 ·
There are many issues with the center stack and it is really one of the few things I feel GM did not hit a home run on with this car. The first and (as yet) unmentioned problem is that the radio comes on no matter what button you select. You want to make a call? The radio will turn on. You want to check your stats? The radio will turn on. GM, you really need to fix this.

On top of that, here is what I think you need to address:

1) Use buttons that are not touch sensitive. At least ones that will not activate if you slide your hand across it searching for a button on a bumpy road.

2) Simplify your stack. The only buttons that should be out on the stack are the ones that you need while you are driving. I don't think I need to set my time while driving. As a matter of fact, this should be automatic and should update when I move into a new time zone.

3) Your display screen GUI sucks. For example, I have to hit FAV down on the stack to see a different set of saved favorites on the screen. AND, it only shows them in one direction. How about putting digital arrows on either side of the buttons so that it is more intuitive?

Additionally, you need to set this screen up so that seeing the volume change does not interfere with selecting a station.

The emergency brake is an issue because it sets back to neutral after you use it. I will push it back and forth every time until I get it released and can move. How about you have it locked out (looks like the old hand crank is up) when activated and flush (the way it is now) when deactivated... simple and intuitive. Since it is sticking out (possible with a red side to help catch your eye) you will see it and disable it when you are about to drive off.

A lot of little things like this will go a long way into making people go from liking the car to LOVING the car. It really is one of the only things that spoil my driving experience with my Volt.

Volt #900: 122 MPG after 6179 miles.

#40 · (Edited)
The emergency brake is an issue because it sets back to neutral after you use it. I will push it back and forth every time until I get it released and can move. How about you have it locked out (looks like the old hand crank is up) when activated and flush (the way it is now) when deactivated... simple and intuitive. Since it is sticking out (possible with a red side to help catch your eye) you will see it and disable it when you are about to drive off.

Volt #900: 122 MPG after 6179 miles.
This is from the owners manual.
The Electronic Parking Brake will automatically release
if the vehicle is running, placed
into gear, and an attempt is
made to drive away. Avoid rapid
acceleration when the EPB is
applied, to preserve parking
brake lining life.

I don't have a Volt yet, but it sounds like you don't have to remember to release the brake. It will release automatically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.