first message from my volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: first message from my volt

That is something you can do voltowner. However to save you the trouble of constantly going to the dealer and possibly have nothing wrong with the car is to run a OnStar Diagnosis. This can be done by pushing the blue OnStar button and it will let you know if a trip to the dealer is needed. You can also sign up for the monthly reports which are also provided by OnStar. This is a free service which sends you a monthly report,through email. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Volt Advisor Trevor
    Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team

Barry,

The dealer got the one they ordered for me overnight too. They installed today but it didn't fix the whole problem. After the test drive which went ok they got another error code. Something to do with the steering wheel control this time. Will have to see what happens tomorrow.

The fact that these codes don't show up to us driving untill we take the car in for something else has me wondering what can be happening we don't know about.

Still love the car,

Roy #1019

"That is something you can do voltowner. However to save you the trouble of constantly going to the dealer and possibly have nothing wrong with the car is to run a OnStar Diagnosis."

Will learn more about this but the last Onstar report I got via email 5-13-2011 was clear with no problems. So I am wondering, would this Diagnosis would have shown what is wrong now if I had ordered one? Is it as detailed as what the tech does when the car goes in and they download the messages like they did this time ?

Roy #1019
    Last edited by voltowner; 05-19-2011 at 03:41 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

The fact that these codes don't show up to us driving untill we take the car in for something else has me wondering what can be happening we don't know about.
    I will look further into that and get some more details on this issue.

Volt Advisor Trevor
    Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team

Quote Originally Posted by WVhybrid View Post
    I just spent 3 days replacing the 12-volt battery in my six-year old Prius. For more than a day I had a new battery sitting on the floor of the garage, but I couldn't even open the rear hatch to get to the battery. Finally, after using jumpers and battery chargers to no avail, I borrowed a big battery jumper and was able to get enough voltage to the locks to open the rear hatch.
    Sorry this is off topic, but did you know you can crawl into the back of the Prius, open the 2x3 inch rectangular cover in the back hatch, and manually push the lever to open it?

Quote Originally Posted by voltowner View Post
    "That is something you can do voltowner. However to save you the trouble of constantly going to the dealer and possibly have nothing wrong with the car is to run a OnStar Diagnosis."

Will learn more about this but the last Onstar report I got via email 5-13-2011 was clear with no problems. So I am wondering, would this Diagnosis would have shown what is wrong now if I had ordered one? Is it as detailed as what the tech does when the car goes in and they download the messages like they did this time ?

Roy #1019
    Roy, did the dealership mention exactly which additional DTCs were set? (Diagnostic Trouble Codes, which I presume you meant by "messages")
    You see the fact is there are very few "Type D" DTCS on the Volt. These are DTCs that don't either illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (aka Check Engine Light) as do OR bring up some sort of driver warning message on the information display.Most all of the Volt's DTCs are considered critical to the point that they would do so (Type A/B/C) or even in the case of a Type D would still create an operational symptom that would create the strong desire to bring the car in for service with some sort of concern.

So what I suspect in this case (assuming there were no other warning lamps or messages being displayed on your Volt) was that these "other" DTCs were all related to the issues with your 12V charging system (i.e. any/all would have resulted in the same "Service Charging System" message) It's either that or the dealer technician accidentally induced additional DTCs through something done during the diagnosis. (happens quite a bit actually)

In the end there really is no reason to regularly visit your dealer (or call OnStar) to routinely check for the presence of DTCs. If you get some sort of warning lamp or message OR something isn't performing correctly, that's another story of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Volt Owner View Post
    Sorry this is off topic, but did you know you can crawl into the back of the Prius, open the 2x3 inch rectangular cover in the back hatch, and manually push the lever to open it?
    Actually the Volt has this emergency release feature as well. If you look on the inside edge of the hatch just below the glass, there is a small rectangular plastic cap/plug that can be removed. You then must insert a blade-type screwdriver vertically into the hole to engage the lever and turn counter-clockwise to release the latch.

HTH
    WopOnTour
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 05-22-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
    Actually the Volt has this emergency release feature as well. If you look on the hatch just below the glass, there is a small round plastic plug that can be removed. You then must insert a blade-type screwdriver vertically into the hole to engage the lever and turn counter-clockwise to release the latch.
    Why so there is! I take it the plug is easy to remove with said blade-type screwdriver as well?

I don't recall seeing this in the owner's manual, but this makes it fairly easy to jump a dead AGM. Just unlock the driver's door with the physical key, unlock a back door manually (which may be the hardest part), drop a seat and pop the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Why so there is! I take it the plug is easy to remove with said blade-type screwdriver as well?

I don't recall seeing this in the owner's manual, but this makes it fairly easy to jump a dead AGM. Just unlock the driver's door with the physical key, unlock a back door manually (which may be the hardest part), drop a seat and pop the trunk.
    Correct on all accounts!
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 05-22-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

WopOnTour

The Fault codes listed on the service receipt whe I picked her up were #U0121- U0254 befor repoacing the BCM, cleared the faults and was left with #U0121 still there when the Techline said to release the vehicle.

Thinking maybe I should start a new thread but her goes since it might be a continuation of the same thing...

Unfortunately this morning I went to go to church and #1019 was Dead! I was able to drive her Saturday day and all went well. But this morning nothing. The fob didn't unlock the door and I saw that there were no lights anywhere no sounds. Unplugged the charger, and used the key to open the door. Nothing. Put the key in the slot on top of the dash and nothing. Used my phone to call Onstar to set up a tow to the dealer for tomorrow. They took the information and said someone will call. Nothing yet so I will call again tomorrow morning if I don't hear.

Embarrassing since friends came over today and wanted to see this amazing car I brag so much about. They had to see her sitting in the garage. With everything being electric, can't push her out into the driveway. Got out of mowing the grass since the car blocks the door for the riding mower.....

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by voltowner View Post
    Unfortunately this morning I went to go to church and #1019 was Dead!
    Have you tried plugging it back in? If the charge port is closed, have you tried "jump starting" it an plugging it in? Those sorts of things have been known to revive a dead Volt. Often not, but it might be worth trying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text