GM Volt Forum banner

OFFICIAL CANADIAN VOLT THREAD

597K views 2K replies 151 participants last post by  Manitoba Keith 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Note the below attached images (hope this works!)

This info came from an Ottawa, Ontario dealer who indicated he could go online and "build out" a 2012 Canadian Volt. Yesterday, though MSRP pricing is out, I was told Volts weren't yet 'orderable' so I didn't really believe the dealer....but then he sent this. He indicates he has all the option pricing, even though it says W/A in the images.

Note the new paints and the change to the audio system. Things generally seem inline with 2012 info previously discussed in these forums and leaked here:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/meet-your-2012-chevrolet-car-lineup-102250/
Though the UP9 option doesn't seem to show up in what my dealer sent.

I'm going to try to dig deeper into this with various dealers here - and if at all possible, get my order actually placed with my dealer of choice!

Oh....as a fresh rumour....the same dealer that provided these images said to me about a month ago: "It is my understanding that they are not going to let us order but just deliver some to the dealers." I've questioned twice today if that's still his believe, but he's dodging answering. I find the rumour hard to believe....but he DOES seem to be ahead of the curve with his Volt info....so maybe.

Anyone (ie. GM employees??) have any comment on any of this stuff?

Attachments

See less See more
#2,080 ·
Which L2 charger did you buy in Canada

I would like to install the SPX charger at home but don't want to have it installed. I already have a NEMA 6-50 receptacle in the garage so I just need to buy a 2 foot 3-wire cable with the NEMA 6-50 plug at one end and I can connect the charger in 10 minutes.

Is SPX willing to sale the charger if:
1- I do plan plan to get the home assessment by the electrician ?
2- I do not plan to get it installed ?

How much did you pay for the charger (shipping + duties) ?

I will go to US in couple of weeks and if this too much of a hassle to get this charger, I will buy from HomeDepot the Schneider EVLink for $750+tx which might cost a lot more than SPX in Canada.

#2,082 ·

Not sure what SPX would charge for the assessment and install but from what others have stated on this forum it will cost you much more than if you just order it and install it yourself or get your own electrician.
I ordered mine and installed it myself. I believe it was around $600 with shipping and duty a year ago. I only got a 1 year warranty instead of 2 years if SPX did the install but I could probably buy 2 or 3 for the price they would charge.

#2,084 · (Edited)
I would like to install the SPX charger at home but don't want to have it installed. I already have a NEMA 6-50 receptacle in the garage so I just need to buy a 2 foot 3-wire cable with the NEMA 6-50 plug at one end and I can connect the charger in 10 minutes.

I will go to US in couple of weeks and if this too much of a hassle to get this charger, I will buy from HomeDepot the Schneider EVLink for $750+tx which might cost a lot more than SPX in Canada.
Contact Sylvain via roulezelectrique.com, he can get you a good quality portable 240V charger from Sun Country Highway with a NEMA plug at the end, it's similar in size to the standard 120V SPX unit that came with the Volt, but a portable 240V version and no stupid spring cord. All you need is a dryer plug in the garage, so no hard wiring.

https://suncountryhighway.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/SCH_LCS_Brochure.pdf

In my experience, for the price, stay away from the SPX Voltec charger, it's cheap, it has a sping cord and the business end is cheap plastic. I wish the above option was available when I was looking for a charger.

I hope this helps.

#2,086 ·
Thanks for your valuable feedback. I was not aware of this Canadian company making this L2 charging station.

I just sent and email to http://www.plugndriveontario.com as I am not aware of any incentives for the charger in Ontario. You are guys lucky in Quebec!

Lots of good information on http://roulezelectrique.com web site as well.

I guess the product is covered by a 1-year warranty?

#2,090 ·
Didn't you tell her that you were planning on ordering a second Volt.............you will need that second set.

#2,095 · (Edited)
The LCS-25 can actually be configured for 15, 20, or 25 amps. I want to go with L6-20 because it seems to be the "standard" for transportable L2 chargers (all the EVSEupgrade units are equipped with L6-20)

#2,096 · (Edited)
Standard (2011-2012) L1 EVSE (1.44Kw) vs L2 LCS-25 (5Kw), c/w Nema 6-30P add-on, not supplied with the unit.

The LCS-25A is so small for a L2 240Vac EVSE (Outdoor Rated NEMA 4 enclosure), you'll want to carry this one with a Nema 6-30P (plug) in the trunk and have professionally installed 240V Nema 6-30R (receptacle, used for arc welding machine, big A/C, etc) everywhere you are used to go :D
----
Back to the subject, there is no selector switch on the LCS-25 and the Volt has no amperage selection @240V (unless 2013MY is different ?) so it would charge at rated internal charger 3.3Kw (14A approx) for the Volt, Up to its max capacity (4.8Kw) with the 6.6Kw internal charger of the Ford Focus EV aka FFE. Do any EVs has user selectable amperage selection @ 240V ?

I'm not really aware about the EVSEupgrade units, what are the Kw's rating of these other L2 EVSE wired L6-20?
---
Congrats for your new acquisition guys , I agree with you, their special @ $649 is hard to beat on the cdn market.

#2,101 ·
Back to the subject, there is no selector switch on the LCS-25 and the Volt has no amperage selection @240V (unless 2013MY is different ?) so it would charge at rated internal charger 3.3Kw (14A approx) for the Volt, Up to its max capacity (4.8Kw) with the 6.6Kw internal charger of the Ford Focus EV aka FFE. Do any EVs has user selectable amperage selection @ 240V ?

I'm not really aware about the EVSEupgrade units, what are the Kw's rating of these other L2 EVSE wired L6-20?
---
Congrats for your new acquisition guys , I agree with you, their special @ $649 is hard to beat on the cdn market.
As another note the SPX power express also uses the NEMA 6-30 plug. I think that most electricians would be hesitant to connect a 6-20 receptical to a 25 or 30 amp circuit.

For this price I too am seriously considering getting the suncountry EVSE.

#2,100 ·
Received my LCS-25 from Sun Country Highway yesterday. Already installed and working! Unit is very nice, company was excellent to deal with and they even did a follow up email with me to make sure I got it and that all is well.

Sure am glad for this thread as I likely would not have found out abut Sun Country without it.

#2,104 ·
Both of my EVSEs arrived yesterday. I picked up my Clipper Creek CS-40 across the border in Sumas on the way home. The Sun Country LCS was sitting on my doorstep when I got home (the courier phoned me to ask if that was OK)

I wired up the LCS today and it's currently plugged into my Volt. I've got a 20A two-pole breaker, about 10 feet of 12/2 wire, and an L6-20R receptacle. I put an L6-20P plug right on the whip coming out of the LCS. (it doesn't appear easy to attach a longer piece of wire as the cable gland is smaller than one you'd typically use) If anyone cares, the wiring that comes with the LCS is 12 gauge throughout...

Now I've just got to convince my employer to install the CS-40 at one of their properties. I think i might offer to "lend" it to them until they see it bringing in customers (there aren't any L2 EVSEs for a good 30km in any direction)

#2,108 · (Edited)
Both of my EVSEs arrived yesterday. I picked up my Clipper Creek CS-40 across the border in Sumas on the way home. The Sun Country LCS was sitting on my doorstep when I got home (the courier phoned me to ask if that was OK)

I wired up the LCS today and it's currently plugged into my Volt. I've got a 20A two-pole breaker, about 10 feet of 12/2 wire, and an L6-20R receptacle. I put an L6-20P plug right on the whip coming out of the LCS. (it doesn't appear easy to attach a longer piece of wire as the cable gland is smaller than one you'd typically use) If anyone cares, the wiring that comes with the LCS is 12 gauge throughout...

Now I've just got to convince my employer to install the CS-40 at one of their properties. I think i might offer to "lend" it to them until they see it bringing in customers (there aren't any L2 EVSEs for a good 30km in any direction)
Hi Rick,
I was asking myself why you ordered a CS-40 (32A continuous capability) instead of a 2nd LCS-25, until I read the last part of your comment.

Do you know SCH is installing a lot of these EVSEs across Canada?
Source: https://suncountryhighway.ca/news-media
Crossing Canada In An Electric Car? Free Charging Lets It Happen
Trans Canada Highway gets a little greener
etc...
Sun Country Highway: Trip from Saskatoon to Vancouver in a Tesla Roadster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTq2cm1_CFo
Check their actual Canada coast to coast tour on http://www.facebook.com/suncountryhighway
---
May your employer contact SCH? Why that? Because SCH can supply L2 EVSE to hotels, restaurants and others. Who knows if they can have a "business case" together?
---
Full disclosure on/:
Sept 22nd, Sylvain Juteau (Slyastro) leads an electric vehicles owners meeting at Trois-Rivières, Qc
http://roulezelectrique.com/rassemblement-ve-a-trois-rivieres-un-franc-succes/
one of the participant Vincent Dussault, has been interviewed related to this "happy camper happening" ;)
video (french) here: http://www.meteomedia.com/meteomobile/gallery/886/7821013/1/collection?ref=ccbox_homepage_topstories
I met friendly Sun Country Highways's guys there and had an interesting conversation with them. /end disclosure

#2,106 · (Edited)
I don't see why not, given that the Clipper Creek LCS-25 is qualified. I did ask via the Sun Country Highway website, and this was the response I got:

Hi Rick,

We have had a discussion with the BC government and the LCS-25 does qualify. I will have our BC Office contact you as well.

Thank you for your recent purchase and happy EVing!

Chris

Christopher Misch
Vice President
Sun Country Highway Ltd.
UPDATE: Sun Country Highway has been added to the official list: http://www.livesmartbc.ca/incentives/transportation/ev_charging_station_eligible_products.pdf

#2,109 ·
For those thinking of a Level 2 charger. I couldn't wait, oh well.

Helping Electric Vehicle Drivers Plug In

McGuinty Government Fighting Climate Change, Supporting Green Technology

December 3, 2012 9:30 am
Ministry of Transportation

Ontario is helping electric car owners install charging stations at their homes and businesses to encourage sustainable transportation and fight climate change.

Starting Jan. 1, 2013, homeowners and businesses who received a provincial electric vehicle rebate and have installed or are planning to install an electric vehicle charging station will be eligible for rebates of up to $1,000 or 50 per cent of the total purchase and installation cost, whichever is lower.

Application forms, full criteria and details for the rebate program will be available Jan. 1, 2013 at ontario.ca/electricvehicles.

#2,112 ·
Does anyone know if this can be applied retroactively for those who installed a charging station prior to Jan 1 2013?

#2,110 ·
Thanks for that information.

#2,111 ·
Guelph Ontario EV Charging PR event

Guelph Hydro will be staging a PR event for their new EV charging spots at the Stone Road Mall. It will take place Wed Dec 12 at 13:45 in the parking lot by the charger. They have requested that any EV owners able to attend please do so. They have other chargers scheduled to be installed arround Guelph next year.

I am trying to change my work schedule to attend, but it would be great if we had a good turn out to show the need for more chargers. Please pass the word to Leaf owners if you know any in the area.

Hope to see you there.

#2,114 ·
Guelph Hydro will be staging a PR event for their new EV charging spots at the Stone Road Mall. It will take place Wed Dec 12 at 13:45 in the parking lot by the charger. They have requested that any EV owners able to attend please do so. They have other chargers scheduled to be installed arround Guelph next year.

I am trying to change my work schedule to attend, but it would be great if we had a good turn out to show the need for more chargers. Please pass the word to Leaf owners if you know any in the area.

Hope to see you there.
Nice! If I didn't have to work I would make the trip. I have a couple of friends that live in Guelph. Would be nice to top up so I can make it back to Kitchener all EV without gas.

#2,118 ·
The problem I've been seeing with the chargers at Stone Rd Guelph is that the charger is perpetually blocked by gas powered cars.
So far out of 5 trips to the mall we have gotten 1 charge, all the other attempts have been blocked with BMW's etc.

People are turning the signs around backwards and feigning ignorance...I feel like they need some enforcement of the spots with a $30 private lot improper parking ticket or something along those lines.

Trying to find a way to let them know how selfish they are...without negative consequences for all EV car owners.
Apparently, double parking and dragging the dirty charge cable across their hood would be anti-social....at least according to my wife.

#2,119 ·
Just took my car to the dealer for 2 recalls (software related) and also problem with the steering binding at highway speed. This has been reported by many but my dealer insist that GM has no problem of sort in Canada... I was expecting that my first visit would be a waste of time but I had to bring it in anyways.

If any of you notice a binding at highway speed, please let me know.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?18360-New-steering-rack&highlight=steering+rack+replacementhttp://

For now I'll have to bring this up with my Volt adviser...

#2,122 · (Edited)
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but Stone Road Mall in Guelph has 1 charge spot now. 1's better than none but as you would guess, even though it is at the very back of the lot it was nearly blocked off by the oblivious.

It was clearly marked but I doubt the bus drivers even knew what it was... but I managed to squeeze in just the same. I also took photos of their plates to make sure I could call their company if there is any damage when I get back. (I hate parking in a spot so tightly.) When I was coming out of the mall I could see the drivers walking around trying to figure out what the car was but they were gone by the time I made it across the parking lot. So I couldn't educate them about EV's and how few charging stations there were around. You know, to try to gently make the aware that they shouldn't block off the only charging station I know of in the area with their buses when there was lots of room in the lot. Hopefully just seeing my car there, plugged in, will make them aware enough to not block the spot in the future. We can only hope!

So slowly charging stations are popping up! This one is courtesy of Guelph Hydro, Stone Road Mall and Sun Country Highway and apparently the first of a few more that are going to be coming to Guelph. https://suncountryhighway.ca/news-media/2012/12/stone-road-mall-unveils-electric-car-charging-station-guelph-on/:cool:

#2,123 ·
Driving south on Hwy 427 south of Hwy 401 in Toronto today and I saw a large solar array with about 6 - 8 charging spots below it. It was beside the Baka building. Does anybody know anything about this? I was late for a meeting and could not spare the time to exit and investigate.

#2,126 ·
#2,127 ·
There's a new Tesla showroom at the Yorkdale Mall here in Toronto. I parked my Volt outside the mall feeling like George Jetson but when I saw the Tesla Model S I felt more like Fred Flintstone UNTIL I overheard one of the Tesla salesmen trying to explain to a potential customer that he could drive to Montreal by stopping as required at the charging stations that are going to be built in the future. My Volt may not look as cool or futuristic as the Tesla, but I'll never have range anxiety!

The Volt STILL rules!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.