GM Volt Forum banner

Is there a need to precondition in warm weather?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Slapshot28 
#1 ·
I know that preconditioning gives you greater overall range in the cold and winter weather but what about when it's warm? Is there any need to remote start for 5-7 minutes in the morning before driving to maximize range?

#2 ·
As a resident of South Florida I can best answer this question with a "no" as my car is parked at home in the garage in shade. If it were parked all day in the sun while plugged in I might have to reconsider. When parking away from home in the sun I use a windshield sun shade, something I have done with all the cars I have owned, a big help !

Steve in Boca Raton #313

#3 ·
I dunno, when the car is sitting there in the garage with the charger plugged in it makes occasional clicking and whirring noises all on its own. The owners manual says that such things are normal and not to worry. Do you think that it is somehow "conditioning" itself?

#4 ·
There was a Live Chat today (http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/Volt/web-chat-female-leaders-of-the-chevrolet-volt.html) with the following Q&A.

Faz: Maximizing range question - I know that preconditioning gives you greater overall range in the cold and winter weather but what about when it's warm? Is there any need to remote start for 5-7 minutes in the morning before driving to maximize range?

Pam Fletcher: Preconditioning the cabin with wall energy is beneficial for range in both hot and cold climates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.