Resetting the TPMS after tire rotation
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast

Thread: Resetting the TPMS after tire rotation

Default Resetting the TPMS after tire rotation

The manual says you need a relearn tool, which I think it essentially a magnet of certain specification.

But I wonder if the these steps found on page 9-50 and 9-51 of the Chevy Equinox Manual would work?

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...nox_owners.pdf

Basically you let tire pressure in or out for 5 seconds while in the TPMS reset mode.
    Marc Lee

Volt 836!

Hmm some further googling reveals...

http://www.velocitycorvette.com/tech...gramming-tool/

Looks like I just found a new use for my magetic parts bowl.
    Marc Lee

Volt 836!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by MTN Ranger View Post
    Umm yeah...that post refers to page 10-60 of the manual which tells you in step 8:

Place the relearn tool against the tire sidewall, near the valve stem. Then press the button to activate the TPMS sensor.
    A horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.

Instead of shelling out $50 plus for the relearn tool it appears that you can either let air in or out for 5 seconds (only recommended if you have a compressor) or if you place a very strong magnet on the sidewall by the valve you can get the TPMS device to signal. See above posts for links with more detail.

I have not confirmed that the above works, if anyone has direct knowledge of these methods working with the Volt that would be great to hear about.

I have found the TPMS to be very accurate, more so than I imagined, which is very nice.
    Marc Lee

Volt 836!

Good find Marc. I hope that if a Chevy dealer rotates the tires that they would relearn the TPMS. But I guess other auto service companies would not do it. Getting a new set of tires should not require relearning if the tire installer doesn't change the location of the wheels when replacing the tires.
    Volt #912

I called my dealer today, and it would have costed $24.95 or something like that to rotate the tires, though if I was having them do an oil change, they could probably throw in a tire rotation for a much lower price.
    Guess it's kinda a good problem to have . . . that it's time to rotate the tires but not even close to time to change the oil for the first time.

Anyway, since they would charge so much to rotate the tires and I had some free time today, I did it myself, so I needed to reset the TPMS sensor position registration.
    I read the instructions in the manual and when I saw that you need a special tool, I found this informative thread that talks about letting out the air for 5 seconds.
    I had to try it about 4 times before it would register all 4 sensors. (That was my fault, I interpreted it as release the air for at least 5 seconds)
    On my last attempt I got it right.

Here are some tips on performing this procedure without the special tool:
    The manual describes the signal the car gives you as a "chirp". It's more of a pattern of loud full-fledged honks. My neighbors must have been pretty annoyed with me making it honk about 18 times in 5 minutes. At least it wasn't at 3am when I would usually be doing this if I didn't know about the honking.
    When you start the procedure, it will honk twice and when it is ready for the next tire, it will honk once more, and when it accepted all 4 sensors, it will honk 3 times.
    The turn signal light for the corner of the car you need to work on will light up. I saw no mention of this in the manual but this way you know for sure which tire it wants you to let the air out of. Nice feature.
    Use the second hand on a watch or any other kind of timer to determine 5 seconds. When I finally did this it worked.
    If you can't get any one tire to register, it will eventually give up and not read any tire pressures giving you an error.
    Don't forget to air your tires back up. I recommend after each one check the reading at the dash to be sure it is registering the right tire each time.
    -doubledave - Volt owner since Jan 2011 - Hidden Content

Thank you for this very useful thread.

But I have some questions I hope folks will help with. I have a paper copy of the first printing of the 2011 Volt Owner's manual, and a digital copy of the second printing. Neither manual mentions letting out or adding air pressure to reset the TPMS. And the link to the 2010 Equinox manual is not accessible any more.

If someone has a copy of the pressure changing procedure, can you please post the relevant section? Are these instructions for the Volt or the Equinox?

If you can't post a copy, any additional explanation of the procedure would be helpful. For instance, is the only difference between the "tool" method and the "air pressure" method the act of let out (or putting in) air? Are all of the other steps followed precisely?

If it hasn't been done already, I'd like to post this procedure into the ChrisC FAQ. This could save a lot of people some money.

WVhybrid

Added to FAQ!

There are some open questions above from WVhybrid. If anyone has the Equinox procedure, or Volt procedure, please POST here instead of linking to it, or link to it and one of us will paraphrase it here for when that link dies too
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

From: http://content.gmownercenter.yahoo.c...olt_owners.pdf
    See the section titled "TPMS Sensor Matching Process" beginning on page 10-59 (page 425 of the PDF).

Here is the text:
    TPMS Sensor Matching Process
    Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. The identification code needs to be matched to a new tire/wheel position after rotating the vehicle’s tires or replacing one or more of the TPMS sensors.
    Also, the TPMS sensor matching process should be performed after replacing a spare tire with a road tire containing the TPMS sensor.
    The malfunction light and the DIC message should go off at the next drive cycle. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions, using a TPMS relearn tool, in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear.
    See your dealer for service or to purchase a relearn tool.

There are two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer, the matching process stops and must be restarted.

Follow the TPMS sensor matching process:
    1. Set the parking brake.
    2. Put the vehicle in ON/RUN and place the vehicle in P (Park).
    3. If the DIC display is minimized, press the SELECT knob to maximize it.
    4. Use the SELECT knob to scroll to the Tire Pressure display screen.
    5. Press and hold the SELECT knob for five seconds to begin the sensor matching process.
    A message displays confirming to begin the process.
    6. Use the SELECT knob to select YES with the highlighted selection, and press the SELECT knob again to confirm the selection.
    The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and the TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays
    on the DIC screen.
    7. Start with the driver side front tire.
    8. Place the relearn tool against the tire sidewall, near the valve stem. Then press the button to activate the TPMS sensor. A horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
    9. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 8.
    10. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 8.
    11. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 8. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the DIC display screen goes off.
    12. Turn the vehicle off.
    13. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
    -doubledave - Volt owner since Jan 2011 - Hidden Content

Advertisement

I guess there's no way to just reset one of the sensors? my repaired tire is running low, though it is tracking up and down, while the manual gauge reads fine.

will stop by the dealer again. I am on a first name basis with them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text