GM Volt Forum banner

Dealer Svc mgr says he is required to put about 75 test miles on my new Volt

8K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  WopOnTour 
#1 ·
My Volt landed at the dealership today. My salesman calls and tells me he is required to test for 1.5 hours or about 75 miles. I've not heard this mentioned anywhere else. Does that sound right? It does not sound right to me. I've got a call into my advisor.

#2 · (Edited)
No, that does not sound right. They are supposed to test extensively, and probably cahrge the battery fully. But 75 miles is way off the mark, unless a policy has changed. My car had less than 15 miles on it when I picked it up. (It might even have been below 10 miles.)

Hopefully it's just a miscommunication...

Chris

UPDATE:

Sorry, bad memory... I just checked the documents provided by Sterling Chevrolet (they were awesome). The odometer on my Volt read 34 miles when they handed me the keys. The battery was charged and it had a full tank of gas.

Chris

#11 ·
I just checked the documents provided by Sterling Chevrolet (they were awesome). The odometer on my Volt read 34 miles when they handed me the keys. The battery was charged and it had a full tank of gas.

Chris
Chris,

I'm picking my car up at Sterling, probably in about 2 weeks. Glad to hear things went well for you. I live about 350 miles away, so getting the car home will be a bit of a fun challenge. So far my dealings with Sterling have been completely above reproach.

WVhybrid
status = 4200

#5 ·
The dealer needs to run the battery to where the engine starts. Since GM leaves about 10 or 15 miles on the battery during shipping, the number of miles the dealer needs to put on the Volt should not be 75. They should check how well it works in extended range mode. After a full charge, they check for proper charging and battery operation. Total miles the dealer added onto my Volt was about 30.

I could see if a dealer charged the vehicle first, then 40 miles would be needed to get the Volt to extended mode. The dealer should not be charging first, but rather running the battery down from the low state of charge that the car has when shipped.

#6 ·
Ask to see their "required paperwork" for rules they are following. I would allow for 20 miles, if I were you, but not 75. If he can't produce the "corporate paperwork" tell him no deal.

Did you get an MSRP price?

#9 ·
Mine had 14 miles on it when delivered and a full tank and a full charge. Reputable dealer that sells a lot of Volts.

#13 ·
I remember last year reading that they had to do some driving with it for testing before delivery. Mine had 16 miles, full battery, full gas tank when I picked it up. I had also noticed that about 1 gallon of gas was used. I'd guess that they didn't really drive it too far and that the gas used was in the diag mode, in the shop. I also noticed the tire pressure was only about 30 psi, so I further assume that they treated the car like any other new delivery.

#14 ·
Mine was at 4-6 miles when the salesman went with me for a check-out drive. We drove about 4 miles so it was still at less than 10 when I drove off. There was 0.3 gallons of fuel used so they must have done some tests in the shop running the ICE, or it ran to keep itself warm on the train. I suspect they can force the car into CS Mode with the ScanTool for testing. It would not be practical for the technician to have to drive the car to run down the battery to work on CS Mode operation.
I had a full tank of gas and about 75% charge. My choice, the charge was not complete when I got there and I jogged to the dealer so I did not want to leave and come back in an hour.
No reason I can see for 75 mi unless they did it at DHAM before shipping. If the dealer put that many miles on it they are using it for a demo.

#15 ·
I suspect they can force the car into CS Mode with the ScanTool for testing. It would not be practical for the technician to have to drive the car to run down the battery to work on CS Mode operation.

I suppose they might be able to do that, but I would suspect the test is to make sure it switches modes automatically, in real world use, not triggering it by artificial means.

Steve in Boca Raton #313

#16 ·
It makes no sense for any car maker to delivery a vehicle to a dealership that requires road testing before delivery, certainly not 70+ miles worth. The cost in employee time, fuel energy, risk of accident which must be insured for, and on and on, would either leave the dealer broke or the car maker bankrupt. Pre-delivery inspection on an ICE car these days is probably measured in minutes.

Unless of course the dealer has signed up for the beta test program.

#17 · (Edited)
Dealers do all sorts of prep work on cars delivered from the factory...this is just another final step in the Volt's Q.C. I also think this program gives the local mechanics some practical hands on experience working on the first batch of cars.
I'm glad my car got a thorough workout before delivery ...... no known defects here !!

Steve in Boca Raton #313

#19 · (Edited)
The Volt team has actually requested the dealers perform an "In-Field Quality Assessment" (IFQA) If your Volt was selected for such an assessment, the dealerhip's Volt technician is requested to drive the vehicle on an extended road-test for 25 miles while performing various ADDITIONAL tests (over and above those performed during the Pre-Delivery Inspection) to insure all primary systems are performing within expected parameters. (after shipping)

The paperwork for the IFQA instructs that BEFORE the vehicle road tests commence that the current odometer reading be recorded (after PDI) and that NO MORE THAN 75 MILES BE SHOWING ON THE ODOMETER AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY TO THE CUSTOMER
So IF there were already numerous miles put on the vehicle at the factory, (durng their own post-asembly build quality program) the dealership is advised to reduce the length of the road test appropriately in order to not exceed 75 miles.

Based on the survey completed by gm-volt.com members it appears the odometer readings at delivery we most often below this 75 mile limit. For thoe that were over there might have been an IFQA performed that identified something that needed to be addressed, which COULD have resulted in a slightly higher odometer at delivery.

HTH
WopOnTour

#20 · (Edited)
If my Volt has been selected for this IFQA then someone else can have this car. Over the years I have seen my fair share of damage done to vehicles by dealership goons. The most recent of which was my 2009 cts V. I watched in horror as one thing after another was either not done right or not done at all with that vehicle. How disappointing this is. This car should be right from the factory period.

#22 · (Edited)
It's not like there's really any "official selection" process as it's at the total discretion of the dealer.
This is a limited time enhanced quality program (until June) and designed to look for issues that others may have missed or occurred during transport.
Personally I think you are being a bit unreasonable however given your past history of issues with your dealer perhaps not.
I would just call them and TELL them you would prefer your car NOT be subject of the IFQA
"The customer is always right" should prevail here...
WopOnTour

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.