GM Authority reaches 50 MPG in 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM Authority reaches 50 MPG in 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel

Cool GM Authority reaches 50 MPG in 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel

Here is an article from GM Authority where they drove a 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel from Detroit, Michigan to Denver, Colorado:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/09/...-cruze-diesel/

They actually hit 57 MPG at one point of the trip and drove over 800 miles with just one tank of fuel. Both values beat the EPA rating and the VW Jetta record, showing that GM can produce world record breaking vehicles that can easily beat the EPA ratings by their owners.

Good work, GM! Now it is the second best MPG vehicle in GM's line after the Volt.
    Last edited by Raymondjram; 09-02-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Raymond
    No Volt or Bolt EV yet!

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed at 7.2 kW
    Registered EVSE at PlugShare
    Waiting for the first EV to charge!

I'm really not a fan of this recent diesel fad, and I think it's driven by these fuel economy numbers. And this is why I think all vehicles should be ranked with the same standard: MPGe. Though not perfect, it can cross fuel types and provide a basic benchmark that most drivers immediately understand.

My lungs are suffering enough on my commute as it is. I can't imagine what it would be like if another 20-30% of the cars on the road were running diesel instead.

I get irritated with people online who try to tell me that I shouldn't drive an electric car, that I should get a diesel because they are cleaner. Then I have to correct them that "cleaner" isn't even part of the equation for me and I like the driving experience. And the experience of driving my Volt is nothing like driving a diesel. I might as well be driving a farm tractor.
    2014 BMW i3 REx (White)
    2017 Chevy Volt (Iridescent Pearl)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

If anything, it at least can help sell more domestically made cars. People will see diesel prices and not do the math so it may not sell for similar reasons as the Volt. A diesel light hybrid would also be nice.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather § (4-years owned on July 5, 2016 @ 69,000 miles) § Current Hidden Content
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Hidden Content -- 47 MWh since 12/12/2012

Thank you to Hidden Content for a great purchasing experience. Hidden Content

Diesels are well known for comfortably beating EPA on the highway, especially in good conditions. The more competition the better as they are currently terribly overpriced in the USA, treated as premium vehicles. If there's one manufacturer that would break the mold and go for volume I'd think it would be Fiat-Chrysler. They're starting with SUVs, where diesel should make the biggest difference.
    Last edited by ItsNotAboutTheMoney; 09-02-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsNotAboutTheMoney View Post
    Diesels are well known for comfortably beating EPA on the highway, especially in good conditions.
    I agree and not entirely surprised about the Cruze's performance. Many TDI owners frequently beat EPA estimates by a large margin, many in the 60mpg range.

I once considered a TDI before coming across the Volt. With my style of driving, even with the TDI having great mileage (and torque), the higher diesel prices just could not beat the Volt's value, efficiency and relative cleanliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
    My lungs are suffering enough on my commute as it is. I can't imagine what it would be like if another 20-30% of the cars on the road were running diesel instead.
    FYI on the below. I prefer electric <grin>

http://media.chevrolet.com/content/m...ble-swirl.html
    Cruze’s diesel engine also is the cleanest ever produced by GM. In general, clean diesels generate at least 90 percent less Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) and particulate emissions when compared to previous-generation diesels. Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel’s emissions will meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) stringent Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards.
    Cars and Light-Duty Trucks—Tier 2
    http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t2.php

Most important line from the Tier 2 standard IMO,

"The same emission limits apply to all vehicles regardless of the fuel they use. That is, vehicles fueled by gasoline, diesel, or alternative fuels all must meet the same standards. Since light-duty emission standards are expressed in grams of pollutants per mile, vehicles with large engines (such light trucks or SUVs) have to use more advanced emission control technologies than vehicles with smaller engines in order to meet the standards."

A couple of coworkers and myself test drove a Cruze Diesel. One of the coworkers has a '06 Jetta TDI with a 5-speed. We were underwhelmed with the performance of the Cruze. I actually thought it had an ECO mode by the way it was accelerating. Nope, just a dog. Handling was ok and the build quality of the car was excellent. No reason to spend $26k on that when a Volt can be had for nearly the same price. Good car but they missed it big time with the engine IMO.
    2016 Kinetic Blue Volt (#28836)
    Premier Package
    Confidence I and II package
    Illuminated Charge Port
    Ambient Lighting
    35% 3M Color Stable all around. 70% 3M Crystalline on the windshield

Gone but not forgotten:
    2012 Volt C4229 (47K EV, 68K total)
    2013 Leaf SV, QC Port, LED Headlights. (30K when turned in)

Advertisement

I just compared my CMax (with the new, lower EPA ratings) to it on fueleconomy.gov since they cost about the same. The CMax wins on fuel costs ($3,500 cheaper over 100K miles) yet the CMax is an EPA classified large car with more luggage volume and utility due to the hatchback design.

I do applaud GM for bringing it to market as it will be good for those who do nearly 100% highway (long range commuters, etc).
    Doug

2013 CMax Energi Red (His)
    2015 Subaru Outback w/EyeSight (hers)
    2012 Jet Black Volt (sold)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text